Thread: Arrow rest

Default Arrow rest

Ok, so I need a new arrow rest for my bowtech. the one I have is just wore out. I saw that new one from wisker bisket, it looked good. This is a fast bow so i don't want to slow it down too much. The one I have now is a drop away, but it doesn't drop away fast enough, I don't think, as I see some wear one my arrows and the rest. Whats everybodys idea?

Cool Hmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    Ok, so I need a new arrow rest for my bowtech. the one I have is just wore out. I saw that new one from wisker bisket, it looked good. This is a fast bow so i don't want to slow it down too much. The one I have now is a drop away, but it doesn't drop away fast enough, I don't think, as I see some wear one my arrows and the rest. Whats everybodys idea?
    Have you tried tweaking your nock a little bit...say maybe cock vain down between the rest?...although I'm not sure what kind of rest you have now. I've dealt with that problem that way. Try putting baby powder on your fletching, then shoot and then you can see exactly what part is hitting your rest and adjust from there. Just an idea...

I've heard of drop away rests that are too slow. I've never had one personally. I shoot the Trophy Ridge DropZone. Excellent rest. No problems dropping. It comes with a little foam arrow holder that glues to your riser shelf. I thought it would be pretty much useless until I used it. It will hold my arrow until the bow is pretty much parallel to the ground. So unless you walk around with your bow inverted...this set-up will work. I shoot Carbon Express Maxima 350 shafts.

So if you need to buy a new rest.... look at the dropzone. BTW these are really good arrows also.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default cock vane

I shoot a diamond liberty with a QAD utlra rest. I learned that the cock vane must be UP for it to clear the rest as it falls away...

PS... don's use the words cock vane in an email if it's scanned by your employer... As innocent as it may have been they are not archery enthusiasts and therefore DID NOT understand...

Talking Now that...

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    I shoot a diamond liberty with a QAD utlra rest. I learned that the cock vane must be UP for it to clear the rest as it falls away...

PS... don's use the words cock vane in an email if it's scanned by your employer... As innocent as it may have been they are not archery enthusiasts and therefore DID NOT understand...
    Was funny!

DMI rest is the way to go. I love it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I use a NAP on my Mathews and have no problems w/ it contacting the arrow when it drops. I do have some wear on the prongs of the rest (teflon coat) but they are from drawing and doing lots of shooting. Are you sure your wear isn't from drawing?
    Last edited by Sharkman; 05-04-2007 at 11:35. Reason: Spelling

Default thanks!

ok, I'll try tuning this one first, then look at these other rests. I got a few targets setup out back and have gotten back into the 10 ring!! There wear i see isn't from drawing. But I will try checking the cock vane setup. that is funny when said!!

As you draw the bow back watch when the rest comes up to max highth . Most should be set to rise in the last one inch of your draw . If it is coming up to soon it will stay up longer , that could give you contact , cal it rest tuning .
    Wisker is ok but if you hunt late in the year when things freeze , you could be shooting into a block of ice . Any thing you shove your vanes through has to slow your arrow down by just the contact as it passes through the rest .
    Hope this helps Mike !!!

I use a whisker biscuit, and have been pretty happy with it. It used to bother me that it would slow down my arrow slightly, but it really doesn't have tremendous effect on arrow speed. Yes, it will slow the arrow down some, but I think it's really negligible for hunting purposes. I went with it to avoid having an arrow slip off the rest while drawing.

It's smooth, it's relatively quiet, and pretty idiot proof - so pretty much everything I need. I thought about switching it out, but it's kind of spoiled me. I'm not sure I'd want to go back to a different rest.

Get a Trophy Ridge Dropzone. I promise you that you'll love it. A bit pricey though. Around $100 or so.

Default biscuit

Another vote for the newer Whisker Biscuit. No moving parts. I had some fletch wear at first, but realized my nock set was off. I made the adjustment, and the wear went away. Properly tuned you should lose less than 1fps in arrow speed. That is not significant at all.

Default Trophy Taker Shaky Hunter

I use the TT Shaky Hunter, it is by far the best rest i have used to date. I have tried quite a few others, and have had friends use other brands and all of us have come back to this one. Very easy to tune and built strong. If you are having clearence issues, the tether that attatches your rest to your cable could be worn out or stretched. It is a very easy fix, get a new tether attatch to your rest, then put the other end under your current serving, if you have it, put the tether in between the strands on your cable. With your rest in the down position, draw your bow back it will raise your rest and automatically time your rest, with the proper amount tether. Mushroom the end of the tether, so that it will not slide back through your cable. it is really easy. If you dont feel comfortable doing this yourself take it to a bow shop and have the show you how to do it. And buy some extra material to keep with you while out in the field, just in case. Hope this helps.

When they first came out I was highly skeptical of Whisker Biscuits, but the new model has made a believer out of me. Prior to I had been a dedicated NAP Quik Tune 2000 user for years. Now I have WB's on both my Reflex's as well as both my wife's Matthews.

The new model is a breeze to tune and gives amazingly good arrow flight. The key to both tuning & flight is to make sure the hole isn't snug around the arrow shaft, and small adjustments.

At first I considered thw WB a hunting rest only, but once it's tuned it allows such good flight and groups that I really would have no qualms about using one on a 3D bow (although I believe more tunable rests are better for dedicated 3D).

The WB is an ideal hunting rest as there are no moving parts to fail, accurate, fast & quiet to load, and holds the arrow in place...

When they first came out I was highly skeptical of Whisker Biscuits, but the new model has made a believer out of me. So much so that I have them on both my Reflex's as well as both my wife's Matthews.

The new model is a breeze to tune and gives amazingly good arrow flight. The key to both tuning & flight is to make sure the hole isn't snug around the arrow shaft, and small adjustments.

At first I considered thw WB a hunting rest only, but once it's tuned it allows such good flight and groups that I really would have no qualms about using one on a 3D bow (although I believe more tunable rests are better for dedicated 3D).

The WB is an ideal hunting rest as there are no moving parts to fail, accurate, fast & quiet to load, and holds the arrow in place...