Thread: GPS units ?

Default GPS units ?

I am ordering a 30ft Harbercraft Kingfisher and am wondering where the best place to buy my gps unit would be. I'm looking at the Garmin 7215 or the 7212. Also want to put a small unit at the rear helm for for when I'm trolling and setting pots. What are your guys thoughts.

There are a few places on line you can find good deals, did you not order the boat with the electronics? As far as which one to order, spend the money on the nicest setup you can choke on at the time of purchase and spend a good chunk of $$ on the transducer. Don't go cheap in that area or your fancy depth finder will just show a bunch of crap. Make sure you get a good "black box" depth finder as well. Lots of times the packages you can purchase have a big fancy Chartplotter and then junk for the devices that feed the data to it..

Nice choice of boats by the way.

John
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I know what a black box is but i'm not sure what a black box depth finder is. Can you explain that to me. Thanks.

Give Chris a call at http://www.precisionmarinecenter.com/ tell him Steve from Alaska told ya to call, he's very knowledgable and will get you a great system.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thank you potbuilder I will do that.

Try anchor express great deals and west marine will match price some times

www.boemarine.com

I have bought there and WILL buy again. Jim and the gang are great to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by TM2SNOW View Post
    Try anchor express great deals and west marine will match price some times
    Anchor Express has great prices but you won't get to talk with anyone who knows anything about electronics. They are a drop shipper, you order from the website and they ship from multiple locations or direct from manufacturer. Good way to go if you know what you want/need. I bought a autopilot system from them, best price i could find anywhere.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Re: GPS units ?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    I know what a black box is but i'm not sure what a black box depth finder is. Can you explain that to me. Thanks.
    If you're looking at Garmin stuff it will be a GSDxx. It's actually the depth finder and just sends data to the plotter across the network. Get the best one you can. The good ones are a grand, the okay ones are less.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I would go to www.thehulltruth.com and look up a guy witht he screen name semperfifishing, his real name is Gil. Excellent guy to deal with, great prices and lots of knowledge when it comes to marine electronics. I think he has pretty much used them all and sells most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I would go to www.thehulltruth.com and look up a guy witht he screen name semperfifishing, his real name is Gil. Excellent guy to deal with, great prices and lots of knowledge when it comes to marine electronics. I think he has pretty much used them all and sells most of them.
    Gil (semperfi) did post on here a few times in the past, his specialty is fishfinders & i bought a transducer from him, when i asked him about auto pilots he told me to talk with his son.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Thank you guys for all the info. I got some calling around to do now.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Gil (semperfi) did post on here a few times in the past, his specialty is fishfinders & i bought a transducer from him, when i asked him about auto pilots he told me to talk with his son.
    I bought my Garmin 546s sounder plotter from him last year along with a 1Kw ducer. He had all kinds of knowledge, stuff I never would have thought about asking. Excellent guy, easy to deal with too.

I second the idea of using Jim at BOE Marine. I have used him several times, and the prices are great as well as the service. As for fish finders, I would look hard at the new CHIRP technology. I think the Garmin model for this is the GSD 26. I have not used one, just read about them and it seems like everything will be going this way. I would not put a second display for the rear helm. I almost did this in my boat when it was getting built, and I held off and I am glad that I did. I can see the display just fine from the rear helm in the cockpit on my 31' boat, and mine is a 12" display.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded