Thread: Cant Decide

Default Cant Decide

So I have the coin to buy just one help me choose between a C180 or Super Cub? Both will be on floats skis and wheels depending on the season.

Bart

Both are great airplanes assuming you find a good one. Both have partcular advantages over the other. It all depends what YOU want to do with your plane. No matter which you choose there will be days you wish you had the other.

As is usually the case, Mr. Piid is right. On the other hand, unless you're a hermit bachelor, you'll find more versatility in the C-180. And if you REALLY MUST use strips smaller than 500', you can always hire a commercial pilot with a Super Cub.

Sometimes I like to compare aircraft to land vehicles to illustrate the differences.

The Super Cub is the Honda 4 -wheeler ATV. The C-180 is the Chevy Blazer 4x4.
    Which one of those wuld you probably drive more often?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Look at what you think you want to carry for loads, then add 20% to that figure then how far distance wise you want to be able to fly. The look at how much per hour its really going to cost you to fly, then the cost to buy the airplane, then maintenance and insurance. And do you have enough decresionary income to support it. Airplanes and flying is expensive. But my guess no knowing what you need other that this either or business. I would lean toward a C-180, because you can fill it up take yourself and a friend and have enough room left over for the gear to take on a fishing trip or Moose hunt.

I would advise going the super cub route. You don't elaborate on your load size. The cub is cheaper to operate and easier to fix and maintain. Cubs are more fun to fly. Good in the mountains and a blast on floats.

Some comments for a perspective buyer to consider.

A 180 will burn about 50% more fuel per hour but will cruise at 50% greater airspeeds than the Cub. MPG is essentially equal. Time to destination? No contest. And since the 180 will carry considerably more load than the Cub the payload-to-fuel clearly favors the 180 as does the payload pounds per hour. My Cub had a useful load of around 700#. My 180's useful is just shy of 1400#. Consider a 200# pilot and 200# of fuel and survival gear. The Cub has 300#s for payload while the 180 has 1000#. Like I said in my initial reply, take a hard look at your own intended use and select the model that suits you best.

Always buy the BEST airplane you can. I mean after you decide on the model find the one that's got the mods you want and is in the best condition. And be aware that there's a spread in horsepower, equipment, and gross weight in Supercubs and even a bigger spread in 180s. Not all Cubs and 180s are equal. Do some research and be particular. When in doubt, ask questions.

As usual, I agree with Mr Pid:

Besides the MPG concerns with speed and fuel burn rate. There is another factor which cruise speed can greatly enhance. That is safety......

I learned to fly in various types of Cubs and for years scofffed at Cessna drivers. Until I owned a couple Cessnas. Due to the low speed and limited altitude performance of Cubs with flat props, I would catch myself cutting corners and pushing my luck in certain situations. For Example: Water crossings and skirting bad weather.

I have ferry flown more than a few planes through Canada. Being able to climb over mountains, over clouds and around rain cells is much more enjoyable at 120 knots , as opposed to grinding along at 80 mph as the rain pours into all the openings around the Super Cub windows.

I always look at how far I would have to walk should things go bad. Every hour in a C-180 or 182 is 40 miles less hiking...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Initial cost of purchase is a factor $150,000.00USD for a used super cub seems a bit steep to me.

The folks above are correct.

Most of my Cessna tail wheel time is in a 185 and I loved it, but someone else was paying for it and I got a few bucks a day to fly it. I own a 170 now that I bought with the intention of putting in a 180 hp but it's not going to happen. Instead I'm getting the materials together to build a light weight Cub with an 0-320 to use in the mtns and lakes of the PNW. The 170 will be sold when the cub is ready....but that will suit my needs very well...I believe.

Fun and utility is a Cub, but the 180 is practical and utility IMHO...like choosing a gun, it's all about what you want to do with it.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Sometimes I like to compare aircraft to land vehicles to illustrate the differences.

The Super Cub is the Honda 4 -wheeler ATV. The C-180 is the Chevy Blazer 4x4.
    Which one of those wuld you probably drive more often?
    That is probably the best comparison I have heard yet! That just about sums it up!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page