Thread: Rust in barrel

Default Rust in barrel

On last day of Kodiak deer trip the seas were up and my gun got splashed pretty good getting back to camp. Wiped it down with an oil rag. 2 days later got back to Palmer and busy cutting up deer and catching up on house chores and forgot about my trusty rifle. When I cleaned it a week later the patches through the barrel were quite rusty. Scrubbed on it long time with nylon brush and copper solvent. Still appears to be 3 small patches of rust approximately in middle of barrel. How do I get that taken are of or am I just screwed due to my negligence? Will firing a couple shots clean those spots? Scrubbing with brass bore brush? Lapping compound?

I would wrap a little bronze wool around a worn bore brush, saturate it with some light oil and scrub the bore with that. The wool should be fine preferably 0000. You won't hurt the bore any more than it already is with this method. If you get all the rust out it will likely have some pitting by this time. This may or may not affect accuracy but will almost certainly make the bore foul much faster. Bore lapping kits for the handloader work well to smooth rough bores and reduce the tendency to foul but I'm unsure of how well the work with pitting. Good luck.

You need to get the salt out clean with very hot water then dry and re oil. Found out the hard way, when I lived on Kodiak kept re oiling and it kept rusting. On boat base hunts I like to wipe rifle with a hot water cloth then re oil. Tape barrel to keep salt and debris out.

Slightly soapy hot water first to get the salt out and off, Iíd yank it out of the stock and head to the sink for this. Cook the water off with a hair dryer or plumbers torch then go after the rust as Kid describes. If the rust is real bad use a little rust remover like naval jelly or rust and blue remover carefully on a patch before the bronze wool and oil. Carefully because rust removers will remove bluing too so donít get any on the blue.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

shoot it, that should take allot of it out.
    Semper Fi!

Thanks for all the ideas. I hadn't even thought about the need to wash with water to remove any remaining salt residue. Trying this process again now. Should have better luck with all these ideas.

You might try a blackpowder solvent/cleaner as they are designed to remove the corrosive residue left by fireing black powder.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !