Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best budget 9/10wt fly rod

Default Best budget 9/10wt fly rod

Just looking to see what is your favorite budget fly rod for salmon fishing.

Default Best budget 9/10wt fly rod

I enjoy my Temple Fork BVK. Even when I snapped it I had a replacement 9 days later.

I own several TFO fly rods from a 5 wt. to a 8/9 combo. Great rod at a great price. I have also used their "no-fault" warranty several times to have them fixed and/or replaced for just the price of shipping. Great customer service. Just my opinion.

ECHO ION 9 wt or 10wt - $189.99
    ECHO SOLO 8wt -$119.99

All 3 are good choices that won't break the bank and have great customer service to back them up.

I guide with ECHO rods exclusively, and only had 3 rods break in 340+ client days this summer. In each case the replacement section was in the mail and on the way to me within hours of coming back into cellphone range.

All the others listed above are good choices as well.

Depends on your casting style, the water, the size of the flies and the size of the fish. I want lots of backbone, but the next guy might want something softer. My pick is the TFO TiCRX, but I recently cast an Echo model that was comparably stout (don't remember which). I'd be happy with it, too.

Just bought an Echo Ion 9wt after busting my old T&T last year on a Red. Not the fishes fault, as I was horsing it in. As mentioned similar to the TFO but slightly cheaper and you get a rod tube.
    They are re-designing the Echo for 2013, mainly cosmetic and a different reel seat from what I understand. Keep and eye out and should be able to find them on discount. If you are looking for a good flipping rod and basic casting the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    They are re-designing the Echo for 2013, mainly cosmetic and a different reel seat from what I understand. Keep and eye out and should be able to find them on discount. If you are looking for a good flipping rod and basic casting the way to go.
    Old-
    Attachment 66391

New
    Attachment 66390

Not as much composite cork and a black reelseat. Good twigs.

Thanks for the feedback I was looking at the redington 9wt that's more in my budget than the tfo but I'll look into the echo.

cheep rod ugley Stick keeps on ticking an durable

I agree with the above comments on Echo Solo's.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    ECHO ION 9 wt or 10wt - $189.99
    ECHO SOLO 8wt -$119.99

All 3 are good choices that won't break the bank and have great customer service to back them up.

I guide with ECHO rods exclusively, and only had 3 rods break in 340+ client days this summer. In each case the replacement section was in the mail and on the way to me within hours of coming back into cellphone range.

All the others listed above are good choices as well.
    Yeah but Mark your kinda a big dealů..LOL do they treat every one that way? I will say this, I have started using their ion reels this past year, and I love them. For the price range it is the best reel you can get for your money!!!!!!!!!! An 80 dollar reel that compares to the 150 dollar reels.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Sportsman's has a Lamiglas 9wt on sale (clearance) right now for $79. I bought the last one at the Wasilla store, but the Anchorage store had a whole rack of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    do they treat every one that way? .
    Short answer? Yes.

Some of the best customer service in the industry. In my opinion.

I have had great luck with TFO rods, I have three. Two seasons ago my Dad lost the tip of one of my rods, called them up and they had a whole new rod in the mail the next day and they just had me send the three out of four pieces back to them. I have called them with other questions on their rods and every time its the best customer service ever. They rods starting at around $150 and go up, I have a 8wt professional ($150) and it has been great. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    cheep rod ugley Stick keeps on ticking an durable
    They make a fly rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    They make a fly rod?
    Yeah not sure on how well they cast but to me they kinda feel like a Mack truck but I bet they wouldn't break.

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    Yeah not sure on how well they cast but to me they kinda feel like a Mack truck but I bet they wouldn't break.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/21080881?a...l5=pla&veh=sem

I'll be ****ed...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    They are really heavy and bulky. My boy has one, he has abused he crap out of it, and it's as good as the day he got it.

FishUSA has them in 10 wt as well. I would lean towards the TFO personally. While affordable and having a lifetime warranty, it won't however work as a spare tent pole. Guess the Ugly Stick has some advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    FishUSA has them in 10 wt as well. I would lean towards the TFO personally. While affordable and having a lifetime warranty, it won't however work as a spare tent pole. Guess the Ugly Stick has some advantages.
    well why the he#% not?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast