Thread: Holiday Shrimp

Default Holiday Shrimp

Last holiday season, I purchased some delicious shrimp from a roadside vendor... and I shoulda gotten his card. I know the shrimp were wild caught in PWS but I do not think they were spot shrimp... They were smaller, very sweet, and we put a hurting on them for our New Year's Eve peel and eat feast. I want to repeat that enjoyable feast but I'm not sure what shrimp we ate and I would like any advice on how to obtain these same shrimp. I recieved an e-mail from someone last week helping me connect with a vendor but I have yet to make the connection. Anyone have any ideas on which shrime we ate and where to get more for this year.

Merry, Merry,

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    Last holiday season, I purchased some delicious shrimp from a roadside vendor... and I shoulda gotten his card. I know the shrimp were wild caught in PWS but I do not think they were spot shrimp... They were smaller, very sweet, and we put a hurting on them for our New Year's Eve peel and eat feast. I want to repeat that enjoyable feast but I'm not sure what shrimp we ate and I would like any advice on how to obtain these same shrimp. I recieved an e-mail from someone last week helping me connect with a vendor but I have yet to make the connection. Anyone have any ideas on which shrime we ate and where to get more for this year.

Merry, Merry,

dodger
    Like I said in your other post about this, give Coal Point a call, or just check out their website (welovefish.com) and they can get you any shrimp at all that you might be interested in. They have cocktail shrimp, side stripes and spots in all different sizes. I bought some colossal spots the other day and they were delicious.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I've seen him twice in the last week parked just before the Lucky Wishbone on 5th Avenue. He's selling shrimp (spots, I think) and Kodiak Scallops. As for last year, if you were eating PWS shrimp that weren't spots, then they were almost certainly sidestripes.

In Anchorage 10th&M Seafoods, Copper River Seafoods, or New Sagaya would be your best bets if you can't find the guy on 5th. If you do find him, get some of the scallops as well - they're incredible!

Here you go, this came from an ADN article.

"The weekly market at the Mall at Sears has several regular vendors, but Duane Clark, one of the market organizers, says two additional vendors are joining the group this week. The market is open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesdays.
    "Kodiak shrimp and scallops join us. They are known around the area with the large yellow signs," Clark says. "Great Alaskan seafood."

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/12/11/272118...#storylink=cpy
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Yep, I was at the Sears Mall last night and he was there. I think it was 2.2 pounds for $30 for the shrimp.

I've only shrimped 2 years in PWS but in my experience we catch Coon Stripes [wife's favorite] and Spot Prawns. Maybe it's different for the commercial areas farther south but I have zero personal commercial experience. West of PWS including Resurrection Bay and over to the Cook Inlet [known as North Gulf Coast] has the smaller Side Stripes. My understanding is that part of the issues with NGC shrimping is the "legal" size of the mesh/wire opening [7/8-inch] on the pots is too large for many of the Side Stripes and they swim/fall through these openings. This information is according to the biologist I spoke to at ADF&G. I have not personally set pots in NGC areas.

The side stripes caught in Prince William Sound are caught by draggers fishing in 1,200-2,000' of water. They drag in Port Wells, Perry Passage, and up between the north side of Perry Island and Naked Island.
    Last edited by Brian M; 12-13-2012 at 20:24.

There you have it. I figured you'd have the 411 on the commercial side of the house. When I wrote my post I was only thinking pot fishing as there are commercial pot fishers. It never dawned on me about trawl fisheries for shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The side stripes caught in Prince William Sound are caught by draggers fishing in 1,200-2,000' of water. The drag in Port Wells, Perry Passage, and up between the north side of Perry Island and Naked Island.

Thanks for the information y'all. Good to know more about those delicious buggers than just how good they taste....
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite