Thread: Trapping on the Palmer Hayflats

Default Trapping on the Palmer Hayflats

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/media/...management.php

I'm not a trapper, but we (Alaska Waterfowl Association) are doing what we can to improve waterfowl habitat on the hayflats. I know there are lots of predators out there. Does anybody actively trap them. Is there anything we can do to encourage trappers to set traps out there during the winter to try and cut down on the population of predators that make their living eating baby ducks. Very interesting short article to read above. Bud
    Wasilla

There are alot of predator trappers out there trapping akblackdawg. If people are to go trapping out there they need to make sure not to be stepping on others toes. It would be like you set up for your duck hunt and somebody set less than a hundred yards for you. More than likely you will be hunting the same critter. The flats cover a huge area though and someone might find an acre or two that nobody is trapping

sorry akblackdawg,
    i had my chance last weekend at helping then ducks, but i missed the fox..
    oh well
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Supporting Member

AKblackdawg,
    Been doing my part down there for the last 18 years and have removed quite a few canids over that period. Like Alaskanfever1 said, lots of people trapping and predator calling down there. One year, I met and spoke with eleven different trappers working down there and I still managed to catch a little bit of fur.

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    AKblackdawg,
    One year, I met and spoke with eleven different trappers working down there and I still managed to catch a little bit of fur.
    Sure am glad I don't live on and trap the roads
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

You trappers keep up the good work. I am surprised to hear so many of you are working the hayflats. Glad to hear it. How late in the spring do you work your traps, is there a cut off season date, or just until ice out or what. Bud
    Wasilla

I have never trapped before is there a way they mark their areas? I live close to the flats and would be willing to go out and try to call some predators in but dont want to hunt over someones traps and take away from them.

Usually look for surveyers tape on a branch above it or near it. Both sides of the Glen HWY has plenty of traps out there. I stopped taking the beagle out there to avoid any misfortunate accidents with the traps.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Any success trapping or calling on the flats this season?

Supporting Member

Picked up my usual amount of fox, but no coyotes this year. No snow for the better part of the season hurt the availability of prey species, so likewise, the predator numbers seemed to be down. Due to the amount of pressure the area gets, I am always happy when I connect with ANY fur.