Thread: Smoker for fish and game

Default Smoker for fish and game

I know a lot of you have your own hand built smokers, but I'm thinking about buying a new fancy electric smoker. I've been looking at the Bradely brand. Any of you have any other suggestions, or have any comments on the Bradely? I see the Bradely has a new "cold smoke" accessory that looks interesting.

I just bought a Bradley Digital that does hot and cold smoke and I love it. Set it and go do something else, I liked my Big Chief, but baby sitting it got old. Add some disk and set smoke time and set oven temp and come back when it's done. I was reluctant because of the sticker price, but I'm totally happy with mine.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Lightbulb

I have no idea what sort of "binder" is holding the Bradley disks in their disk form, but I do know I don't want it on my food.

I've used a smoker from this guy, a unit Cabela's used to carry, for over 20 years now and love it.

Nor would I use a propane smoker since propane lets off moisture/whatever as it burns.

Electric that uses wood chips is where I'd go.

Default Smokin tex

I have been using a Smokin Tex electric. Its got a good chip pan that can handle anything from sticks to saw dust. I like the bags of apple or cherry best for chips. I can get six racks in it and about 35lbs of meat. What I don`t like about it is the vent is to small and you have to leave the door ajar for a few hours if you load it up real full. Other wise it will sweat real bad and sour the batch. Its got a good burner element and you can get extra racks and spare burner when ordered. The thermostat seems to be pretty accurate. I added a dial thermometer to the door.
    Do`nt get the cart its cheap SS and the wheels fall off.

http://www.smokintex.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    I have no idea what sort of "binder" is holding the Bradley disks in their disk form, but I do know I don't want it on my food.
    Just so happens I researched this very question just the other day and the answer is "Hydrolized collagen". Sounds to me like they rub cows down with lotion and then grind their hides up to make the binder? I would have to guess that the carcinogens in smoke that get deposited on the meat during the smoking process are more of a concern than the binder in the disks, but that's just my guess.

Make sure you get an insulated, thermostatically controlled smoker and you will be happy. So much nicer than the old big chief and little chief. I personally have a cookshack and I love everything about that smoker except what it cost me to buy it.

The Chiefs are for beginners. They do fine work, but they yield a small amount of product, and a smoker can do more important things sometimes by actually exceeding 120F - like smoking a pork shoulder at 350-400F for extended periods.

I choose and use a Smoke Vault. It's got about a 6-8 inch burner powered by an RV-type propane tank. I use whatever hardwood I have that suits me - no pellets to buy.

Yes I do watch it - unless I'm missing half the point (the other half is that we get great food), what's the problem with that?

I actually just bought the Bradley digital 6-rack earlier this month on recomendation. I have done ribs, whole chickens, halibut and salmon. (I was bored). Overall I like it! Pretty neat to be able to set it up and walk away for an afternoon. Everything turned out great. I set it up out in my shed which is insulated and exhausted it out through the roof with 4" ducting. When it was -15f it did have a hard time holding temp. But a couple days later it was above 0 and it did great.

Find someone that has an old GE refrigerator with ceramic coating inside and take it off their hands. Strip the freezer part, install small vent out back, buy hot plate (the ones with coils...hard surface ones dont work well), install some racks or use original ones with frig and you have a fairly cheap insulated smoker. I don't completly cook anything in it and use oven afterwards. Used it for years and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    Find someone that has an old GE refrigerator with ceramic coating inside and take it off their hands. Strip the freezer part, install small vent out back, buy hot plate (the ones with coils...hard surface ones dont work well), install some racks or use original ones with frig and you have a fairly cheap insulated smoker. I don't completly cook anything in it and use oven afterwards. Used it for years and it works great.
    Holy Moly that is exactly how I started smoking 3 decades ago, though I don't know about the GE part of it. ;-)

Also not sure I'd use the factory fridge racks without coating them with a whole bunch of layers of smoke (it only costs wood to season a new smoker). And my fridge vent was on the top, just a little stovepipe affair sort of thing.

Great call rhorn.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Gone4Now View Post
    Just so happens I researched this very question just the other day and the answer is "Hydrolized collagen". Sounds to me like they rub cows down with lotion and then grind their hides up to make the binder? I would have to guess that the carcinogens in smoke that get deposited on the meat during the smoking process are more of a concern than the binder in the disks, but that's just my guess.
    Sausage casings are made of the same collagen....relax, no carcinogens involved.