Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woo Hoo we're under way

Default Woo Hoo we're under way

Thanks to all of the earlier contributers, we did it. We went to Seattle, met the great folks at Wooldridge, put together a work order and ordered a 29' Wooly for this summer!
    See you all out there, fair winds and following seas.

Congrats, they just started on ours!!

What are you gettin? When will it be ready?? We're hoping / planning for a Memorial Weekend delivery, it's going to be a fun winter!

Congrats on the 29 Wooly, Glen and the boys are GOOD people to deal with.

Anyone have any ideas for must haves for a 29', we still have time to make optional changes.
    We went with the fishing package, transom door, twin 150s, rescue ladder, 2 captains seats,
    and most importantly a corian counter top with an underhung sink!

Raw water wash down.
    Sealed deck with scuppers.
    Bow Rails.
    Radar mount.
    Electric Pot puller.
    Espar heater
    Dingy mount on roof
    In Deck kill box.
    Be able to dump your tank when out far enough ?
    LED lighting, inside and out.
    AGM Batteries Times 4 atleast.
    Place for Honda EU2000 generator.
    Stand up head.
    More fuel tank/s than you think you will need.
    6 gallon tank for kerosine , that way a 5 gallon can does NOT over fill it.
    Spots for 2 radios in dash , VHF that is.
    Glove box on the co-pilots side on the dash.

I have more.

Great stuff, thanks,, we went with the stand up head, dumping ability, higher bow rails AGM batteries (great), sealed deck, espar heater, dingy mount on roof with 8" rails, front gull wing door, anchor windlass, LED lights, and Garmin stuff ouch!
    What' s the in deck kill box??

Email or call me when deciding on a pot puller and shrimping gear. You can use one of my Electra Dyne pot pullers for hauling your anchor also.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Re: Woo Hoo we're under way

Ask if they can build you a dingy crane or davit to lift the dingy off the roof. You can also use it for pot pulling.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Ask if they can build you a dingy crane or davit to lift the dingy off the roof. You can also use it for pot pulling.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Electra Dyne on a customers rig, lifting zodiac and hauling a halibut aboard, bet it could even haul a few shrimp pots
    ED halibut 1.jpgED lifting zodiac.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

3 Things:

1: I second every single option of Pac23.

2: Careful where you have your davit built and consider having it integrated into your custom build-up so that stresses are accurately accounted for in the structure of the boat. Some guys know how to weld. Some shops know how to cut and assemble. Not every outfit has the experience to design a davit correctly, cut and assemble with precision, and employ guys who know how to weld. PM me if want a specific opinion of where NOT to go if you decide to go aftermarket. Much better is to see if the Wooly boys can design a davit and wire in a circuit for the pot puller, even if they aren't a vendor for the hauler that you desire--and you could do a lot worse than putting one of Steve's line haulers on your boat.

3: Keep this site updated with build pictures. We need some entertainment at this time of the year!
    Last edited by IceKing02; 12-12-2012 at 07:57. Reason: misspelled

Wow, we completely missed the davit crane in our worksheet for the dingy and shrimpin, Thanks.
    Does anyone have a recommendation for dingy, size, make, model, weight, and motor size etc?
    Hey Pac23 can you fill me in on the in-deck kill box, new term for me?? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    Wow, we completely missed the davit crane in our worksheet for the dingy and shrimpin, Thanks.
    Does anyone have a recommendation for dingy, size, make, model, weight, and motor size etc?
    Hey Pac23 can you fill me in on the in-deck kill box, new term for me?? Thanks
    How much are you budgeting for the dinghy? I went with a 10' AquaPro SMR with the rigid aluminum hull pushed by an F15. Love it!

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks Spoiled one, I've/we've watched all of your posts, and can't wait!
    What does it weigh? We really don't have budget for safety and fun, sort of like
    the way you desribe your adventures. Is the davit that you have
    a commercial product or proprietary to Glaciercraft?
    We follow all of your posts on several forums, Thanks!!

A couple of friends and I designed and built the crane. (Read: I supplied the money for parts and pieces, beer, and the supervision.) The dinghy, motor, and six gallons of fuel weigh around 280 pounds.

I would like to see bigger fuel tanks than Wooldridge puts in. I have three 135 gallon tanks. I don't run all three full, but it is nice not to have to carry fuel on deck.

Keep the posts coming!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It's custom made per boat. Mine is on the port side, Spoiled ones is on the starboard side. I think I would actually prefer to have it on the starboard side. If I remember right I believe Propnut had a custom one made as well after he already had his boat.

I think someone already pointed out but you want to make sure they reinforce that support area. As you can see in my inside pic I have a column around the inside tube that goes all the way down and ties into the gunwale. The back wall and side wall are then reinforced by an additional sheet of 3/16s welded in with the wall for about a foot out on each side from that column if that makes sense.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355373588.473170.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1355373938.590051.jpg
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Here is a pic of my inside cabin structure.

Exciting times! I know exactly what it feels like to be exited about a new boat! Not gonna get much sleep for awhile!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355374408.969239.jpg
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

a simple fairlead setup for hauling anchor with a pot hauler

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

150 HP twin diesel duoprops instead of gas outboards. much better mileage, cheap enough burn to use one as kicker, so don't need a kicker.

I'm not so convinced that one has to have duoprops (and I have one myself). Unless you have a trolling valve then you'll be hard pressed to slow them down enough to use as a trolling motor. I "troll" at 600rpms and 3.5-4knots--way too fast! There's also a much greater initial investment cost that will take a while to recoup in fuel/maintenance savings... I would at least consider one of the newer 300hp single outboards and a kicker, however. If you cannot plane your boat with a single 150hp outboard then why have two of them in the first place? (I know, old debate). You are about to have lots of fun, difficult decisions to make. No worries, though, we're all here to help!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast