Thread: Burbot help

Default Burbot help

New to burbot fishing. Done lots of reAding on here and ice shanty. I've tried big lake at night and long lake. My buddy caught on at big lake in about 35 ft of water last week but that was the only action we have seen. I've read different things about how deep to fish them and am confused if they are shallow only when they spawn. I figured 35 ft was a little on the deep side. Any advice for how deep and where to look this time of year. We were fishing off of points. Also how long should we stay in a spot with no bites and no bait allowed before moving. If anybody is interested in taking me out and showing me the ropes I'd appreciate that to

I'm up in the interior so going out is not an option, but to be honest in the winter I've had more luck with lake/pond burbots in hte middle of the water column than at the bottom.

i caught a burobt last winter on flat lake (big lake complex) in under 2 ft of water under the ice on a airplace jig.....try shallow water under 10ft on the edge of weed beds and drops if you can find them. they like structure.....bright glow jigs and the like work well at night.....on long lake....if you can secure some whitefish strips or catch yourself a suckerfish and use it, you can catch burbot there....try sitting out all night in 5-15 feet of water.... please release any that are large as they are what keep the population going in that lake, there arent many in there i dont think.....

Release Lake Trout

N e lakes that r deep n preferably glacier fed will hold a good #s of fish u looking 4. Fish shallow sandy/rocky bottoms and at night works well. Think cat fish. I've caught them on hooligan herring steak chicken...but fresh fish works best. Good luck n have fun.. B safe.

Has anyone here tried octopus for burbot and if so how did it work?

they will work , but a release will be impossible , circle hook is the way to go.