Thread: Ice fishing for rainbows at night?

Default Ice fishing for rainbows at night?

I have had good luck fishing at night for rainbows in the summer, but do they still hit well at night during the winter? This may sound like a noob question but I have done very little Ice fishing and I'm not familiar with their habits during the winter.

I see pictures of people always fishing for them during the day, but haven't really seen any pictures of them at night.

we catch them at night glow jigs or somethign smelly to help them find it
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I fish all the time in the dark. Last year I fished until 3:00 am and caught fish right until I left. As mentioned, glow jigs and some bait or scent.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

When fishing at night do you guys use a light in the shanty, or keep it dark?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I've never had any luck at night. Seems like dark turns off the bite when ever I'm out

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    When fishing at night do you guys use a light in the shanty, or keep it dark?

That was going to be my next question, lol. This Friday we are going to try to get out early. I want to be out on the lake by 8am and get our holes drilled and lines in the water by sun up. Of course, may have to do some shoveling, with all this snow we are getting just to get to the ice lol.

The lake we are heading to again allows bait, last time we used Shrimp. We didn't get a lot of bites, but boy did the fish that did bite make it worth it! Im thinking about trying some salmon roe this time too. I also have a couple lures I want to try this time out. Last time we had a deadline to get home by s specific time, this time we are staying out all day haha.

I always use a light in the shanty when fishing at night. Two weeks ago we were fishing till 11:00 pm and I drilled a hole but I stopped just before it cut all the way through the ice. I placed the lantern in the hole and we had schools of fish 1-3 feet under the ice. I don't normally do this, but when I have I've had good results. Typically I just hang the lantern in the shanty. I normally fish in 13-17 feet of water so I'm not sure how much light penetrates through the snow and ice. Another tactic that I employ at night is to drop some bait (chum) down the hole every 15 minutes or so. This will keep the fish in your vicinity as well as bring in others. Last year we fished till 1:30 am using a Vexlar. I quickly noticed by watching the Vexlar that the rainbows and char were smacking our splitshot and barrel swivels in the dead of night. They can see much better than you think when it gets dark.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Funny you mentioned the light in the hole. I was actually thinking about trying that using one of my LED Mag lights. I have a couple and they put off a lot of light and run for ever before needing batteries.

We lived down in Texas for a year, and while down there I did a lot of Crappie fishing with a couple of friends. One thing they use to do was take a light in a Styrofoam housing and it sure helped bring them in. And in the summer up here the sun stays out so long never really tried it.

I haven't fished after dark, so I can't speak to that. But I have taken a waterproof flashlight that I didn't care about, and dropped it to the bottom with a string. If you aim it so the light shines back up to to hole, you can see all the fish swarming around your lure. I also think it helped attract fish but that is just a theory.

Well that settles it, I am fishing from the moment I wake up until I can't stay awake anymore! Going to have to buy a lantern now!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Well that settles it, I am fishing from the moment I wake up until I can't stay awake anymore! Going to have to buy a lantern now!
    They sell some clip on bells/buzzers for that kind of fishing, too!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I already bought some, got me a camera flash for my glow jigs to.