Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Game Meat (Merry Christmas)

Default Shipping Game Meat (Merry Christmas)

Anybody know what is the best and cheapest way to ship game meat to the lower 48? Already looking at UPS which provides a box, gel packs, cooler for $24 and another $115 for next day shipping. Looking to ship from AK to TN. 20lbs of meat for the folks down South who only get to eat local deer and turkey Will two day shipping work? any experiences out there? Obviously want the meat in good conditon upon arrival but also my wallet in better condition as well. lol

Default Shipping Game Meat (Merry Christmas)

Frozen in their cooler setup with gel packs should be fine for 2 days.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Not necessarily the cheapest... But I shipped 45 lbs of assorted game overnight to Michigan via USPS for $220. Placed the frozen meat in a styrofoam insulated cardboard box and filled the voids with crumpled newspaper. Arrived 22 hours later still completely frozen.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

There is next day mail (most expensive) and then 2 day mail. Will the meat last that long or just slight thaw on it? This could be 3-4 days upon dropoff and arrival.

I have flown with meat in a styrofoam box with a day layover (so 2 days of travel) and the meat was completely frozen when I arrived at my destination. When doing this, I look for the good quality (thicker) styrofoam boxes. The omaha steak ones are usually pretty thick and durable when packaged well inside a box.. I found the key to getting the meat to stay as cold as possible is to tape the entire seam all the way around after the lid is put on. This prevents any air from entering or exiting the styrofoam. Bubble wrap or sheet styrofoam also helps as an extra insulator as well... 2nd day air should be fine. I shipped 25lbs of frozen stuff to oregon recently on 2nd day air and it was completely frozen when it got there. I think it was $110 or so.

You can also mail up to 5 pounds of dry ice with USPS. It just has to be labeled on the outside saying dry ice. If you go that route, just keep it seperated by a rag cause it will burn your meat if it stays touching it. The cooler trick with the seams taped and the newspaper inside for insulation works great too. I usually wrap all my meats/fish individually with newspaper. Best insulation in the world. Heck, my Grandmother used to make me wrap my feet over my socks with newspaper and then I would put on my rubber boots from the summer. Viola.... Winter boots and my feet stayed warm all winter.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Check with your local fish processor..

Here in Fairbanks, I had Santa's Smokehouse ship 50 lbs to Missouri next day.. charged $117. Did have a few hoops to jump through, but worked well.
    Hoop # 1: pick up box two days in advance. Hoop #2: have box packed and sealed to them at 1000 am on Monday, tuesday, or Wednesday. Hoop #3: they only accept cash or credit card. Hoop #4: Someone has to sign for the package when it arrives in the lower 48. (or else it is NOT left).

Chris

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Alaska Air Cargo
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

A good friend has good luck sending meat and fish overnight with USPS. I tried it once and it took 4 days to be delivered, things had started to thaw but were not completely thawed when it was finally delivered. I send mine UPS but I go elsewhere for boxes and pay less than half for the box and ice packs. Carrs has some that hold about 30 pounds for $12 plus some change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    A good friend has good luck sending meat and fish overnight with USPS. I tried it once and it took 4 days to be delivered, things had started to thaw but were not completely thawed when it was finally delivered. I send mine UPS but I go elsewhere for boxes and pay less than half for the box and ice packs. Carrs has some that hold about 30 pounds for $12 plus some change.
    I just shipped 18 lbs of fish in the standard styrafoam box to Denver (from Wasilla) Standard overnight with FedEx for $113. I turned it in to the Wasilla FedEx shop about 10AM one day and it was delivered to the kids house by Noon the next. Shipping FedEx or UPS you can choose whether or not you want someone to sign for the pkg. If you choose Not to, the delivery person simply leaves the pkg at the front door. If you choose to have someone sign for it, and no one is home when they attempt to deliver, they leave a notice and the pkg goes back to the shop.

When my Dad was still alive, living in Hemet, CA. I could turn in a pkg of frozen fish to the Post Office at Anchorage Airport, and it would be delivered to his house by the next afternoon. I think he got special treatment from the USPS because his mailman was a USMC retired, and the old man used to share some of his fish with him.

Had to ship it today via UPS next day air (which is what they really push) but will try I think the 2 day air next time. Dropped today before 1000 (Anc) and arrives tomorrow by 1030 (TN). 13 packages of caribou, moose, halibut, salmon all assorted (ground, steaks, smoked, sausage, sticks, etc). Total weight 19.90 lbs so made the 20 lbs cutoff. If it doesn't make it on time then I can claim for money back. Total Damage - $155. ($24 box, cooler, 2 gel packs), $115 shipping cost plus $15 fuel surcharge. I think next time packaged right and taped even if it takes 4 days it would be good for half the price.

Have you considered canning the meat in 1/2 Pint, Pint Jars. They can eat it many ways and it keeps well. Not to mention you can put 9 pints in a priority mail box for under 15 bucks. I do that with fish all the time. IMHO there are few sandwiches out there better than a canned moose meat sandwich. Great in salads, a hash or fricassee or let the imaginatino run wild. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    Had to ship it today via UPS next day air (which is what they really push) but will try I think the 2 day air next time. Dropped today before 1000 (Anc) and arrives tomorrow by 1030 (TN). 13 packages of caribou, moose, halibut, salmon all assorted (ground, steaks, smoked, sausage, sticks, etc). Total weight 19.90 lbs so made the 20 lbs cutoff. If it doesn't make it on time then I can claim for money back. Total Damage - $155. ($24 box, cooler, 2 gel packs), $115 shipping cost plus $15 fuel surcharge. I think next time packaged right and taped even if it takes 4 days it would be good for half the price.
    I can't quote prices on those boxes, but I think Wallys usually has some of those, at least in season, and they are a little cheaper than what UPS or FedEx or those "packaging stores" sell them for..

I ship meat or fish 2nd day air to save money. It doesn't even start to thaw in that time if packed right. Main thing is to buy the correct sized box so that you fill it full of meat. No filler. No ice or gel packs needed. Just fill the styrofoam box or cooler full of frozen food, tape the seam, and send it. If you can fit the box or cooler in your freezer to prechill it that helps too.

I share via mail very rarely but when I do I prefer to share canned product using usps flat rate boxes. Way cheap. But its not a fillet.

I shipped fillets with small amount dry ice usps with tracking; it never left Anchorage and they didn't care.

I've sent next day ups to the south maybe 20 pounds; very expensive, a hundred and change.

I've shipped canned product in flat rate that got to the east coast next day for way cheap.

If looking for cheap or free styro coolers and boxes check with aquarium fish/pet stores-they ship live fish via Air in them. Also hospitals and drug supply companies ship in styro boxes, even veterinarians too.

I usually ship fed ex 2 day and every time so far it arrives in one day. Cheaper to pay for the 2 day. make sure it is solidly frozen. I wrap everything in newspaper and add frozen water bottles in the box. Keep all meat away from the edges of the container, fill these areas with newspaper.

I shipped it next day and it arrived a day late. However it was all still frozen solid. I had the cooler full of meat and two gel packs nothing else. However next time i'm taping and newspapering to fill all spaces and going with 2 day air. I am getting a refund for the lateness also. Appreciate all the advice on here. Good stuff! It's all about saving the game meat and getting the most out of it for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    I shipped it next day and it arrived a day late. However it was all still frozen solid. I had the cooler full of meat and two gel packs nothing else. However next time i'm taping and newspapering to fill all spaces and going with 2 day air. I am getting a refund for the lateness also. Appreciate all the advice on here. Good stuff! It's all about saving the game meat and getting the most out of it for people.
    Shipped USPS and if not there by stated time on reciept, usually 3pm the next day, it's free! Got my money back before even for instate mail! The last time though outa state, the people didn't hear the door bell, so they had to pick up the next day from PO, it was thawed, I used blue box from walmart on that one that just had foil bubble wrap bag inside. All meat was fine, just thawed. So no money back on that one.

I had 250lb of moose meat and UPS and FexEx both wanted over $1200 for shipping. Got you wife a round trip ticket and she brought back ALL the meat for less than helf that. She also go to see her sister for 5 days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast