Thread: Please Help with some ideas

Default Please Help with some ideas

I live in fairbanks and have been pushing my parents to come up this next summer and they finnally took up my offer. They then dropped the bomb on me that they want to go Kayaking as well. The plan is to go fishing on the copper river but drive down to valdez and maybe go kayak Columbia Glacier or something. They are very avid kayakers with thier own current design boats. But they wouldnt be bring them. they might bring some gear but what i am wondering is a good trip either guided (even though we wouldnt need it) or undguided in or around valdez. They do want to do wildlife and some glacial paddling. Any information would be great i want to make it a trip of a lifetime for them.

I've taken a water taxi out to Shoup Bay and stayed at one of the forest service cabins. You have to rent them 6 months early or they book up. Take rental kayaks and go back into the lagoon where the glacier is. It's a beautiful place to paddle just time it right going in and out of the lagoon with the tides. Then you can paddle back to town since its not too far out or just take the taxi back. You don't need a guide for this trip.

Hey thanks for the reply. I think we are looking for a day trip i would have to look at it. How far or i guess the real question is how long does it take to paddle from town to the glacier. Also are there any creeks with substantial salmon running in them in that bay. Would it be feasible to make it a day trip.

I think its about 12 miles from town to the glacier itself according to google earth. Its been a few years so I don't remember how long it took us to paddle back. If you want to be able to enjoy it and take it all in that may be too far for a day paddle. Maybe you could take a water taxi out there and time it with the tides to get into the lagoon and then take your time paddle around the bay and back to town. That would probably be your best bet. As far as fishing, it really depends on the time of year and how the runs are. I'm not too familiar with that area as far as that goes. They tend to have good runs of silvers and pinks from what I've heard.

If you know when they will be here I can give you a pretty good idea what to expect in the area fish wise. Other than Valdez, Whittier and Seward have some rental outfits for sea kayakers aswell as taxis. One of my favorites is to paddle Kenai Lake..... its huge and has lots of awesome scenery and animals. If you rent a kayak you could hit a few places on the road system ie. portage glacier is a nice day glacier paddle or skilak lake has skilak glacier that dumps into aswell. feel free to pm and if I can help I will!
    Greg