Thread: Upper Klutina Fishing

Default Upper Klutina Fishing

I have done extensive fishing at the the klutina and have done it at the bridge and at the mouth but was wondering if anyone has fished towards the lake. I have fished a little up the river where there is not a crowd and enjoyed it. I have been up all the way to the lake and took my boat to the end of the lake great area. the river calms down up there and turns into a gravel bed river. It's got to be good up there but havnt had a chance to fish it. Anyone had the chance to fish up there i would enjoy the feedback there are some nice holes up there i bet would yield alot of fish.

We have floated from the lake down to the bridge a few times. This was during King Season with a guide named Kirk Wilson (I think....).
    Upper part we fished grayling and dollies (lots) then turned our attention towards Kings and also did well.
    There are reds that spawn in the creeks running into the lake also.
    (Kirk Wilson is a member here and chimes in from time to time.)
    BK

Ya i know it is good area for Dollys. It looks like the upper part that comes out of the lake would be a good spawn area. I would think as long as i wasn't right on the spwan grou.nds it would be great fishing like at 22 mile on the road. thanks for the info though

Even at the mouth we would accidently catch grayling while lining reds so i would imagine there would be tons of them where the fish are spawning.

Well i guess the answer i was looking for was if the reds or kings actually spawn in the klutina just before the lake because it looks like ideal spawning grounds. I know its illegal to fish spawning grounds. Just thinking they would get all bottled up there when it starts to slow down before you get to the lake.

can you drive into this lake still? i am thinking about trying it this summer,.. i have a jeep commanche and or a bearcat wheeler. any tips on this?

I used to fish the upper river for kings with good success many years ago before everyone fished down there. At that time it was closed to salmon fishing for one mile downstream from the mouth of the lake where there was a marker stating that. I would imagine that it still is without checking the regs. I don't think reds spawn in the lake itself but I may be wrong. They usually spawn in the creeks flowing into the lakes and then the smolt spend a year in the lake before heading to salt water.

The lake is big and the winds can come down off of the glaciers kicking up 6 foot waves very quickly and I nearly lost my life on Klutina Lake in a 19 foot Grumann canoe when I was trying to get back to the outlet.

Ya you can still drive to the lake road is a little rough better on a atv. The river only has one closed section around manker creek but does have some early closures on the main river. I was on that lake last summer and went down to the end and back just looking. Such awesome area up there. I could see how the wind would pick up since it is so straight with mountains on either side.