Thread: .338 loaded for sheep/deer?

Default .338 loaded for sheep/deer?

I talked last night with a re loader and he was telling me stop looking for a .270.. and load the .338 for smaller game..

I've always thought about it. Even a factory load.. SST bullet at 200 grains comes out just short of 3000 fps...

seemed like an interesting Winter project...

any thoughts??

I have a couple loads on the light side of the 338WM. Both flat and accurate. The 185 gn Barnes TTSX over 71 gns of IMR4350 about 2950FPS and the 200gn Accubond over 76gns RL19 at 3000+abit by the manual. The Accubond is my favorite load for my 338.

I know a couple guys shooting the 180AB in the .338WM- about as fast and flat shooting as you could want in a rifle. Be aware- if you shoot something up close in the shoulder you might as well be using an RPG> it makes a mess but you could say that about a number of more traditional "deer cartridges" as well...

The 210gr PT is another good candiate for deer size game.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Due to the expense of resighting, I stick with my same moose loads a buddy reloads (250 speer grand slam, goes 2600 fps approx.) for my 338. From the three deer I've taken with it here in SE I'm very happy with it's performance. But, I like bigger, better, slower bullets that poke holes in lungs and stay in one piece. It shoots as far as I wish to (or can) and I don't have to drop 50 bucks at the range twice a year when switching species. I hit one high last year in spine above the shoulders and meat loss was negligible considering the hit, the fork I got this year took it squarely in the ribs and the exit was just over an inch with again minimal lost meat (for what there is on deer ribs to start with).

These same loads are great for moose and caribou and have taken several with them. It might be fun for a project if I reloaded, but I don't think there's a need to load down for deer. Anything that smashes into a shoulder is gonna rip it up. (my 270 has sat in the cabinet for years due to its proclivity to pulverize anything it touches.....will likely sell it before long).

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    I have a couple loads on the light side of the 338WM. Both flat and accurate. The 185 gn Barnes TTSX over 71 gns of IMR4350 about 2950FPS and the 200gn Accubond over 76gns RL19 at 3000+abit by the manual. The Accubond is my favorite load for my 338.

sounds good.. I have it sighted for moose.. at 5 inches high.. it just seemed to groove there..so I didn't fight it.. at that setting and a 250 grain bullet.. I am 5 high at 100... 6.5 hig at the apex.. and dead on at 300...

seemed good for moose as 6.5 high is not an issue. and hopefully I am smart enough not to shoot over 300 yards.

Do you have any experience with the SST bullet??.. seems it has a great ballistic coefficient.. I shot one caribou with that round, and it seemed to do just fine.. and at 200 grains was almost the same as what the noslers 250's shoot .. though flatter.. so probably a tad high at 300 still..

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    I talked last night with a re loader and he was telling me stop looking for a .270.. and load the .338 for smaller game..

I've always thought about it. Even a factory load.. SST bullet at 200 grains comes out just short of 3000 fps...

seemed like an interesting Winter project...

any thoughts??
    I have gone to 185g Barnes TSX over 4831 and CCI mag primers in my .338. I have used them on deer, black bear, and caribou the last couple of years and can't find any reason to change.

I used to shoot a 338 Win Mag custom barreled, shot 225 Accubonds and killed elk, mule deer, 2 black bears, over 10 coyotes, one BC moose and NONE of them, not one single one, ever complained .... I know exactly where that bullet was at each 100 yard increment of it's flight path and it killed anything it hit DRT ...... You cannot kill "too dead" ........ you are over thinking it ..........

ill be keepin an eye on this thread....I have a fluted .338 win mag barrel on a 98 mauser action im thinking about turning into a project....but i love my 30/06 and havent shot the .338 much in my life....

Release Lake Trout

I shot that 338 Win Mag for 8 seasons, I shot it too much and shot out the throat, I'd done it with a 25" barrel for that reason BUT the 2 seasons prior, first in Colorado and then in NE Oregon I had the action freeze up on me and I lost faith in that ABolt action, went to Tikka and Kimber (only because I could not afford to get a model 70 pared down to the weight I wanted) and so I started bouncing around with other chamberings - I should have (COULD HAVE) had a model 70 custom made in 338 Win Mag that would have lasted me my lifetime (and my son's too I suspect) and had enough for a good Hawaii vacation but NOOOOOOO .... I had to "experiment" - "hindsight" ........ a 338 Win Mag shooting a 225 Accubond will never, ever let you down on "any" game you choose to hunt