View Poll Results: Has a Gizz come to your bait WHILE you were in the stand.

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 74.07%
  • no

21 25.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have OR have NOT seen IN PERSON a brown bear on my bait.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default I have OR have NOT seen IN PERSON a brown bear on my bait.

I asked this question a few years back, and got a load of trail cam pics.. So, with the coming spring season and the new regulations.. i figured i would start a thread on those ACTUAL sigtings of grizz at the bait.. WHILE the hunter was in the stand. I know they come and visit while were not in our stands... and think this might be a good learning bit for what will and wont work with Grizz.. Cause FACE IT... they are NOT blackies..

i have seen Grizz ONCE in all my years of baiting WHILE in the stand.. and at 40 yards.. they DID NOT LIKE IT ONE BIT and would not come in.. yet... stayed in the area until i left...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have never seen a Brown from the stand even though I know some were working it. If I were going to try to bait them I would try leaving my smelly clothes there to try to scent condition them, or maybe even do the have one hunter stay and one leave thing.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

IF yes.. how about a description of the event? i know Marc Taylor had a video of his not long back.. i also know there are a ton of trail cam pics... but lets have ACTUAL close encounters...

i have some ideas from my years of training them to eat and leave... but would like to hear what others feel is the best distance, and set up for hunting grizz and balckies over the same bait.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Not only have they come in to my bait while I was in my treestand, but I have walked into my bait station with them on my baitpile. I have had them stare at me from the ground and they knew I was right there. No fear, didn't even care that I was there. Just acted like he owned the place. The reason why I stopped baiting is because I get too many brown bears and it creates too much work for me to try to maintain. About 5 or 6 years ago, I would say it was about a 50/50 ratio of blacks to browns coming in to my bait. Every year after that has got increasingly worse. I didn't even bait last year. The year prior to that, I didn't have a single black bear come in to my bait the whole season. Nothing but brown bears robbed my bait.

How's about adding a poll to keep more accurate figures.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    How's about adding a poll to keep more accurate figures.
    There is a poll attached to this thread.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Re: I have OR have NOT seen IN PERSON a brown bear on my bait.

Polls don't show up on my mobile

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    There is a poll attached to this thread.
    Well ****.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Yes and it tought me to never stay in the stand till dark.They were around me that whole cold long dark night.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well Vince my experience in baiting is limited to the Kenai but I finally gave it up cause of the brown fluffy kind.. We used to have more blacks then browns but slowly started to change. We never (well tried a few things a time or two)used smelly stuff,mostly pig breads and pastries... Most browns would simply pass through grab a hand full and move on and at least to my knowledge(cam pics or visual) never come back and it seemed the blacks were fine with that and would just wait to come in.. The problem was in recent times there would always be one that would claim the bait for his own and usually it was a teenage male and he kept everything out.. He knew we were there and didnt care,even would look in the stands at us as if he were waiving the international peace sign..(the middle toe so to speak) Had a standoff with him once that could of turned bad(for him) but I wiped the pits with a rock and threw it at him to get a good smell of me..

first time I took my son up the stand, We were aware that one was in the area. Got into the stand around 6pm and browny showed up just after 7pm. He only hung around a few minutes untill he winded us. We waited until 9pm and left. Son didn't want to get down but he wasnt warmly dressed and it was a long walk back to the car. I asked him if he would rather leave in the darkness or when he could see it coming for him, so we walked back cautiously.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I had a 7' or so grizzly come into my bait one late afternoon(near 4pm) about four bait seasons ago when I was sitting on my stand. I watched as it did a full circle around my bait site, seen it in multiple areas about 150 yds out in the brush. It wasn't afraid to be seen or heard, it made loud huffing/breathing sounds, needless to say I put the bow back on the tree and got my rifle handy. Eventually it came into my bait site, got on it's hind legs and smelled me. It knew I was there the whole time as the wind was blowing right at it. I was having issues with this grizz before, it tore up my site and cleaned out my barrel and tore it off the tree, a few times. So as it neared about 30 yards from me I yelled out at it, making as much noise and movement as you can in a treestand. It finally decided not to proceed any closer and walked off(didn't run). Fortunately after that incident that grizzly never came back again to my site. I've been fortunate enough to not have any real grizzly problems where I bait, there just don't seem to be many that frequent that particular area that time of the year, I think most are out chasing cows and calves. I've only had one or two grizzly check out my site since than, none in the past two years.

Have never seen any evidence of grizz where I bait now, but used to have them constantly at my old site. I never had 1 come in while I was on the stand, but I walked in on them more than once. 1 big one in particular didn't care that I was there. He just stood there and looked at me from about 20-30 yards away. I knew there was a bear there as I was walking in, but couldn't see what it was until I was close.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Saw two of them this spring. One about 7' came in very cautious and sniffing the air. I moved my hand at a normal pace to grab my camera and he caught sight of it and was gone like a shot.

The other came in a couple of hours later and didn't care who knew he was there. He was HUGE! He happened to come in at the same time a black came in and ran him off (got that one the next night). He went back to the bait and the barrel completely disappeared behind him. A few weeks later I was at the Conservation Center at Girdwood and talked with one of the employees as she was feeding the brown bears. She showed me the large bear and said that he was the large 9' bear. Man, if that bear at the conservation center is 9', the one I saw had to be 10.5-11'.

My buddy took some pictures of him with his flash on. A few pictures in and one of the pictures was taken when the bear was looking at us. The flash must stunned him a little because he shook his head and then took off running.

I have had a couple scenarios with griz at bait while in the stand.
    The hairiest was my first year of baiting; when at the end of the night I got out of tree and was dumping bait in the barrel when a griz walked in behind me... Talk about pucker factor! I was at the barrel and in the apex of a "v" of logs and he came around the corner. I heard one twig snap, I turned and he was there at twelve paces? I took three steps in the direction of the stand and Something in my brain said WRONG, he bluffed a charge, I turned, faced the bear, pulled the revolver out and tried to look and big and said hey hey hey. I said it in normal voice. He stood up for a second or two ( not sure exactly because time seemed to stand still) then he spun, dropped and bolted away. I think he was as surprised as I was.
    I think if I had continued to go forthe treestand, he would have been on me in a wink.
    Was I lucky? I think so... how would you have reacted?

I observe grizzlies from tree stands at my bait stations regularly -- probably have one walk in for each three times in the stand. I have seen several very large boars visit while I was in the stand. I expect to see them and I find that they do not deter black bears from using the bait station.

I also use trail cameras at my bait stations and plotted bear activity at two sites in 2009, 2008, 2007, and 2006. I plotted large black bears, sows with cubs and other black bears, browns, large browns and browns with cubs. I found that blacks and browns were at the bait sometimes within ten to fifteen minutes of each other and very frequently with two hours.

I set my stations so I can see the bait at about 40 to 50 yards to check for bears before approaching. One time a large grizzly boar and I met when we both approached the bait station at the same time. I bait station had no bears on it when I saw it at about 45 yards, but as I rounded the tree that held my stand, 18 yards from the bait, the boar walked out going to the bait. We both stopped, he stood on his hind legs, close enough I remember seeing his eyelashes. He slowly dropped to all fours, and I said "Hey, bear" a couple of times and he turned around and slowly walked back the way he came in. I had my .44 mag in hand but it seemed insignificant at the time, and I remember thinking that his head was too big for my bait barrel. The fellow following right behind me thinks "Hey, bear" works really well.

Grizzlies visit my bait stations regularly, even when I am there. They donít seem to impact having black bears eating at the same sites. It does make approaching the bait station very interesting, I also want a partner when processing a black bear, and Iím very careful leaving the stand -- especially in low light conditions.

well this should qualify as an "I have".....
    From an incredible video of grizzlies tearing the **** outta my station...and me messing my pants.

Proud to be an American!

We used to have an active station on the upper Chuitna. Now gone as the native corp cut it down when they changed the rules. Browns were pretty regular at the site. I had a friend over for a blackie hunt. A boar of near 9 foot came to the barrel. My buddy was freaking and the dog was whining. (Both in the tree stand, which was a large platform that had room for a tent)
    I elbowed him and showed him a green pine cone. He got it when I tossed it on the bears back. Holy crap, he exploded in a wave of muscles rippling and loud teeth gnashing. He never did see us and we must have thrown half a dozen cones on him before he left. It was more fun and excitement than pulling the trigger. Coming out of the tree that day was not as fun. We just knew he was waiting to get even.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Most of the browns that have come in while on stand, left in a big hurry once they saw/sensed/smelled/heard something "different" to their liking.
    One was a huge sow w/ 2 big 2yr olds. She was BIG! But figity still with them cubs around. "Something" wasn't right in her mind and she exploded outta there. I think she smelled something on the ground, everything else was in my favor and I didn't budge an inch while watching them.
    Another time I was sitting on stand and heard a big animal walking through the woods. I thought it was a moose at first, travelling by about 75 yds out. Never saw it, it walked away. Then looked down to my left about 2 minutes after it was quiet again, and in the trail I walked in on, I saw a BIG ol' boar staring a hole through me at 10yds. His head was enormous, his body was a refrigerator with hair on it. I didn't hear a thing! He sniffed, turned around slowly, whoofed, and shot outta there with the turbos going.
    Both baits still produced several black bears off them during the same seasons.
    The one that gave me fits was a 3yr old boar with a timid twin sister in tow. They'd come in around 1030-1100 at night, he'd tear the hell outta everything while she just watched or stood close by. He wouldn't leave when: yelled at, thrown things at him, shot a round by his face with a .44, shot an arrow into the ground inches from his nose. The sister plit everytime, but him, NADA!! He wouldn't leave unless he was ready. I stayed in my treestand that night till 0400hrs. When it was clear, I got down and beat feet back to my boat without issue. I sat my bow in the boat and was reaching for my .338 when 15yds behind me I heard "something". I spun around with those 2 twins staring at me. I worked the bolt, the sow split again, the boar walked away with a look at me like he didn't give a $%@&... That's the only bait I've ever had that didn't produce, and the blacks were hitting it at first. That youngster claimed it and ran everything smaller than him outta there.
    This year we had 3 different browns with 7 different blacks hitting our bait. Like one guy said, even within an hour or two of each other. Never physically saw one brown except on pics.

I had a brownie that visited me every year for 3 years straight when I was baiting in unit 16A. He wouldnt show up till late in the season though and then the fourth year I didn't see him once, not even on my trail cam. I moved my site this last season and didn't have a single problem with brownies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast