Thread: Suzuki 4-4 stroke

Default Suzuki 4-4 stroke

i searched and really couldnt find much on the 4hp. would this be to much for your
    typical 16' coleman scanoe? i cant decide between the 2.5 or the 4. im not really wanting yo haul
    ***** but i want it to be able to move a load. any insight appreciated!

No insights on the 4, but I went with the 2.5 because I thought I could get by.

It really scoots an 18' lund, waaaay too fast for trolling at full throttle, so I bet it would howl on a Scanoe. At the high end of the throttle it gets pretty thirsty, and that small built-in tank gets small fast. Haven't pursued it yet, but I'd like to link it directly to a skiff can rather than frequent fills. Sure easy to slop gas hitting that small tank in a rocking boat.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    No insights on the 4, but I went with the 2.5 because I thought I could get by.

It really scoots an 18' lund, waaaay too fast for trolling at full throttle, so I bet it would howl on a Scanoe. At the high end of the throttle it gets pretty thirsty, and that small built-in tank gets small fast. Haven't pursued it yet, but I'd like to link it directly to a skiff can rather than frequent fills. Sure easy to slop gas hitting that small tank in a rocking boat.

i kno the 2.5 is about 30 lbs lighter than the 4.. i weight 230 so i def want something that will push my weight/gear/and some of a moose up a current..how big is the built in tank? gallon? how fast do you think your 2.5 would push a scanoe loaded with no current? thanks

also do u have a guestimattion on how shallow a guy could run with a scanoe runnin pretty light..

as with all canoes the slower you go the shallower you can run , the place to start is building the transom up to a point the cavertation plate is evan with the bottom , when the canoe is in the water , an loaded, with gear & people, the tip of the skag is about as shallow you can run with out damage to you gear , unless you get a lift on the back then when it gets shallow you slow down , pick the motor up some an just put put over the spot or
    stop the motor get out an pull the canoe over the shallow part of the river, get back in an start the motor an off you go a lift is the best way but it is heavy for a small canoe [ your size 16 FT ]

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    i kno the 2.5 is about 30 lbs lighter than the 4.. i weight 230 so i def want something that will push my weight/gear/and some of a moose up a current..how big is the built in tank? gallon? how fast do you think your 2.5 would push a scanoe loaded with no current? thanks
    I'm 240, but haven't tried pushing a canoe upcurrent with it, but based on how well it pushes around that Lund with two people in it and a 40hp on the transom beside it, I'd expect good things. Speculation for sure, but....

As for the fuel tank, I WISH it held a gallon. I doubt it's as much as a quart.

well I have you by 20 LBS in the BUFF it is all relative , like how fast is the stream you are going up, all I can speak about what I have , if you are going to go real slow , not much speed , the water is slow also , it will work if you are not in a hurry , but most of the time I am in a hurry , to get there , so I would like to get there , a good place to try that rigis 20 MILE south of Anchorage , if you can make it up to the no fish ZONE in a reasonable amount of time it should work on a hunting trip , [ moose ] an yes you could go across a lake an get a moose but i am not talking about that , I am talking about a 10 to 20 mile river trip to hunt moose , an some people use them an get moose but not many,

the 20 mile suberb river is fun, though I don't think some of the fast chutes are doable with a 2.5 kicker motor. I used to do 20 mile with a crappy single cylinder 5 hp merc (no tourque), then with a 6 horse suzuki twin (lot's of toruqe!). Then, with a 9.9 tohatsu (power in reserve), then, with a 12 hp copperhead.....any chute I chose to pick.

i find myself also considering the coleman 5 horse 4 stroke. as it weighs the same as suzuki 4

to put a motor on a canoe things to think about for running rivers streams
    # 1 it should not have a sheer pin [ no pin slip rubber in prop
    # 2 it should have reverse an neutal
    if they are not in the eng you can get into lots of trouble on the small rivers/stream's as it will stop [sheer pin broke] at the time you need it the most , people will say they run all the time with out it , but you will run into problems if you don't have them , this will stand out big time if the canoe is n the small side like yours 16 FT COLMAN SQ MY 2 CTS SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    if they are not in the eng you can get into lots of trouble on the small rivers/stream's as it will stop [sheer pin broke] at the time you need it the most , people will say they run all the time with out it , but you will run into problems if you don't have them , this will stand out big time if the canoe is n the small side like yours 16 FT COLMAN SQ MY 2 CTS SID

that why ive been lookin at the coleman 5 hp as i dont believe it has shear pin.as i kno im goin to be bangin
    on bottom fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    No you're down to the details that seem most important to me, all talk of horsepower aside. The 2.5 has neutral, but it would be a PITA to do moving water by flipping the motor rather than having reverse. It's bad enough beaching that way. And I can imagine what would happen if you sheared a pin in the wrong place at the wrong time on a river....

so what are my options with no shear pin...under 6 hp. must be 4 stroke

an if you are going down /up river under power an my motor stops for any reason I freak out , as I am not ready for it , an a rock / lpg is coming up an I don't want to hit it