Thread: Looking for ideas for a June trip in Alaska. Wide open to suggestion...

Default Looking for ideas for a June trip in Alaska. Wide open to suggestion...

The wife and I will be off work the month of June. Trying to plan ahead and get a nice trip set up for us. She missed out this year as she was pregnant. I did a float on the Kwethluk but that was my only trip to AK this year. Eager to get back up your way, especially with the wife. My intention is to plan a nice trip for the two of us. Danattherock III is 6 weeks old. We are wide open to ideas. Float trips are a favorite of ours, remote fly in cabins, SW, SE, SC, fresh water or salt, do it yourself type of trips, open to any ideas. The problem I got, most of the fishing trips I am familiar with are summer or fall. Really not sure where to focus for a June trip. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Dan,
    I think the naknek is pretty hot that time of year. By the way DATR III is one cutie many congrats to you guys !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Like Potbuilder said, the Naknek and many other Bristol Bay rivers are good that time of year. It won't be a bead show as it would be in late summer or fall (but they still work) but rather a chance to swing some big black or white flies. Dries work best they will all year in many areas at that time. The fish will just be out of spawning at that point and are often pretty hungry and colorful. Couple that with the sockeye smolt leaving many lake systems and it can be pretty sweet. Also some of the best char and pike fishing of the year. Only detractor is that the rivers will be fuller (depending on the winter snow and rate of spring thaw) but mid June is usually pretty mild on the weather, only skeeters to deal with as the no see ums and whitesox are yet to hatch. If you are chasing rainbows it will be more like "normal" trout fishing for many of the rivers in that they will be situated in cover, love woody debris and cutbanks. I have found catch rates aren't quite as high as you will see in August-Sept. but it's still great fishing and was my favorite time of year to be out there. Rainbows open June 8 in most areas, but there are some available before.

If you're utilizing the Sotar and it is just you and the wife you should consider the Middle Fork out of Dickey Lake on the Gulkana. It has a few rocky spots however very doable. PM me for more details and fishing potential. Ice out is normally between 8-10 June will have normal Lake Runoff conditions. It is a portion of the Gulkana rarely used so you will have the place more than likley to your-self. It's a commitment trip.

BMR

I hear Ship Creek is good then.
    You could spend your days there and hang out @ The Farm in the evenings.
    For dinners I hear Chuckie Cheese serves some haute cuisine.

Another vote for the Naknek area.
    The Alagnak opens in early June and swinging smolt/leeches/llamas for bows amongst the out migration ain't a bad option.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    hang out @ The Farm in the evenings

Ah, many good memories at the farm. Plan on making more.

Thanks for the ideas guys. My initial thought was June might be a bit early for a float trip, but perhaps not. That would be great. I got a ten foot Sotar on the way to NC from Goo I am eager to try out. Also interested in any land based ideas. Cabins, with or without boat rentals, driving around POW in a POS, all sound good. Just wanting to set up something for the wife and I. A trip to get her excited, been a rough time for mama bear lately. Looking forward to Sept on the Upper Kenai, but must find some reason to get up your way sooner than that. I appreciate the ideas and welcome any further thoughts.

-Dan

"Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Profound. Truly. Good stuff man.

There are small groups out here (CA) that regularly try the Alagnak in late June; they report river/campsite conditions vary between years depending on the snowpack/melt, and there's one moderately tricky fast-water section in a canyon early in the trip (not portagable). It has some lodges and gets a fair amount of pressure, so you may have company out there, but June is perhaps before the peak use. Other than pictures of fish shown to me (rainbows, even reds, on flies), that's about all I can say. Best Wishes. I went to the Kwethluk too last year. Long float.

Dan,

My son and I floated the Alagank opening week last summer (2012). We were a bit early. The water temps needed to be in the high forties and it was in the low forties when we went. My son and his wife had done the same trip several years earlier and hit it just right.

We did really well at the headwaters on lake trout and got a few small bows.

In hindsight we should have spent more time on the upper part of the float. We did get some nice bows in the middle section but nothing at the lower end (before the take out point.)

Did spend September in AK as well. It was awesome.

More detail at aaatrout.com. Go to Alaska 2012 and scroll down to the Alagnak trip.

We are trying to decide what to do in 2013!

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards a SW Alaska float trip in late June. Can't beat a float trip.