Thread: Weekend Report

Default Weekend Report

Went to little campbell lake friday afternoon, couldn't get any trout to bite. We caught three tiny fish that looked like burbot. Any ideas what kind of fish this was?

Went down on the peninsula Saturday and chose Engineer lake to try. Explored around the lake just using jigs but couldn't get any bites. Went from parking area straight towards cabin and only found 8-12 ft of water the whole way there. Walked over to the north end and found a deeper hole there but no bites so we decided to run over to Hidden and check it out. If anyone has advice on bait or lures to try on Engineer lake would love to hear it.
    On Hidden tried next to some holes just offshore and ended up catching two salmon smolt.

Went to one of the stocked Portage ponds sunday because it wasn't too far and we like the scenery. Had constant action the whole time we were there with fish hitting eggs, shrimp, and pink/orange jigs. It became a challenge to weed through all the small fish trying to get anything of size. We setup the hut so we could see down the hole, will have to remember beans or eggshells next time. The fish were swarming the eggs and seemed to love the aero jig. I wonder how much food is in those ponds for the fish as the biggest we caught was 11in.

Was a great time and can't wait to go back out next weekend

I was thinking those mystery fish you caught may be Alaska Blackfish. They don't get very big, only about 8 inches or so. I see them in a lot of lakes and streams around here.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Did they look like this

Blackfish
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

sounds like an awesome weekend out on the ice and outside in general... how was the ice on Hidden lake? did you go very far across the lake at all? just trying to see how things are setting up down there on the peninsula, thanks

We didn't go across the lake at all, we saw two guys there that took their machines a ways down the lake out of sight. The ice was about 16in thick near shore.

Went to Beach Lake sunday and caught 4 rainbows and 1 salmon, ice was 22" thick. Almost no snow left on the lake.
    Went to Matanuska Lake today, we checked out Echo lake but the trail down to the lake was much too icy, caught lots of fish, rainbows, salmon, and char. Largest char was 15" and salmon were 8-10". Ice was 25" thick and there was no snow left on the ice. Was a great way to enjoy the warm weather and the end of the 2012 fishing season. Now for 2013!

Tried out Finger Lake today. Salmon were biting and some are up to 11" now, surprised out how fast they are growing under the ice. Took the ice skates but there was so much water on the ice decided against it.

Fished skilak friday and saturday this weekend. caught 6 rainbows and 3 lakers between 14 and 18 1/2 in. There were several people out there saturday and the weather was nice, almost no snow on the ice. Had one fish take one of the poles through the hole as we tried to grab it. saved the pole stand from going through but rod was gone. We were bummed but then 10 min later i felt some tugging on my line so i reeled up and my swedish pimple had snagged on the line from the lost pole. We were able to pull the pole in and the fish was still on as well, couldn't get the line free of the reel fast enough though and after a short while the fish finally decided to run and hit the end of the line and snapped the leader.

Default nice catch

Quote Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
    Fished skilak friday and saturday this weekend. caught 6 rainbows and 3 lakers between 14 and 18 1/2 in. There were several people out there saturday and the weather was nice, almost no snow on the ice. Had one fish take one of the poles through the hole as we tried to grab it. saved the pole stand from going through but rod was gone. We were bummed but then 10 min later i felt some tugging on my line so i reeled up and my swedish pimple had snagged on the line from the lost pole. We were able to pull the pole in and the fish was still on as well, couldn't get the line free of the reel fast enough though and after a short while the fish finally decided to run and hit the end of the line and snapped the leader.
    on getting that rod back, pretty lucky. weird how that sutff works out sometimes. I had stopped by Skilak on Saturday, looked like a tent city out there. How was the ice after the warm weather on Saturday?

The ice edge retreated quite a bit saturday, where we were fishing though it was about 15 in when we left.