Thread: Trying to find a fishing buddy near the anch- valley area

Default Trying to find a fishing buddy near the anch- valley area

new to ice fishing alaska need a insider tips from the locals

Quote Originally Posted by jbbhunter View Post
    new to ice fishing alaska need a insider tips from the locals
    What are you looking for? Pike, lakers, rainbows, etc? Location?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Lakers and Bows im living near anchorage will to go up to 1:30 mins to fish

Default -->f&g

Quote Originally Posted by jbbhunter View Post
    Lakers and Bows im living near anchorage will to go up to 1:30 mins to fish
    If that's round trip you're very limited. Lakers are out and for bows I'd recommend calling F&G and asking where close to you they've stocked and also where they're plentiful - they can be really helpful one on one. If you're out and about much an in person trip to their offices on raspberry road with those two questions would likely have you knowing more about this by a lot.

I've been here for almost 2 months now. Never stepped on a frozen lake in my life until mid November of this year. Spent a few weeks visiting different shops and talking with people. The Alaska F&G site has a lot of information. I started out by picking some lakes, getting maps, checking depths, stock, etc. I live in Wasilla, so there are a lot of lakes to choose from. I also fish on JBER, so I use the JBER iSporstman site for information on those lakes.

I started out by getting a pop-up - Eskimo QuickFish 3 is what I went with. Was told I'd want to upgrade soon, said "Nah, this is all I need.", and now I want to upgrade. The rod/reel setup goes without saying, but as far as best brands and all that, I'd save your money on something really nice until you really catch the bug. They're fairly inexpensive anyway. A hand auger is all you really "need", but a gas auger will make your day much easier. For bait, I'd just test everything out. I prefer jigs, but also use eggs, shrimp and worms. Depends on the lake, the fish you want to catch, etc - but you know that. There are little things that I use: like a scoop for the ice, a small shovel, small table, some rubber mats for the floor of your popup, a sled to pull everything, and some good ice shoes or tracks for your boots. Not mandatory, but makes my life easier.

I'm not a local, and these aren't exactly insider tips.. But it's where I'm at so far on my two months of experience. There is a TON of information on this site, so there may be a thread for a specific lake that you want to fish with updated reports of the conditions.

Good luck.

Default Trying to find a fishing buddy near the anch- valley area

Quote Originally Posted by BrentR View Post
    I've been here for almost 2 months now. Never stepped on a frozen lake in my life until mid November of this year. Spent a few weeks visiting different shops and talking with people. The Alaska F&G site has a lot of information. I started out by picking some lakes, getting maps, checking depths, stock, etc. I live in Wasilla, so there are a lot of lakes to choose from. I also fish on JBER, so I use the JBER iSporstman site for information on those lakes.

I started out by getting a pop-up - Eskimo QuickFish 3 is what I went with. Was told I'd want to upgrade soon, said "Nah, this is all I need.", and now I want to upgrade. The rod/reel setup goes without saying, but as far as best brands and all that, I'd save your money on something really nice until you really catch the bug. They're fairly inexpensive anyway. A hand auger is all you really "need", but a gas auger will make your day much easier. For bait, I'd just test everything out. I prefer jigs, but also use eggs, shrimp and worms. Depends on the lake, the fish you want to catch, etc - but you know that. There are little things that I use: like a scoop for the ice, a small shovel, small table, some rubber mats for the floor of your popup, a sled to pull everything, and some good ice shoes or tracks for your boots. Not mandatory, but makes my life easier.

I'm not a local, and these aren't exactly insider tips.. But it's where I'm at so far on my two months of experience. There is a TON of information on this site, so there may be a thread for a specific lake that you want to fish with updated reports of the conditions.

Good luck.
    Im with u on upgrading the quickfish 3 but as far as hand augers lol never again will i drill through 2 ft of ice with a hand auger. As far as bait shrimp is all i use anymore just put it on a number 2 or 3 hook i like using the red ones. If you have wanna meet on one of the jber lakes one day id be glad to show u the basics. Clunie right now has tons of fish and my 3 year old catches a dozen or so when we go out. I havnt seen many fish over 20" in anchorage but that might just be me

My 8 year old and I have had good luck on JBER. We went north earlier, to Matanuska Lake and the bows were much smaller than we have caught on JBER. I haven't ice fished in over 20 years before last year and all I can say is spend some time reading here and talking to people at the stores, but more importantly get a cheaply auger and go drill a hole and try it. It's fun. If you still need or want some help, let me know, I am no expert, but we can catch fish.

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    .. as far as hand augers lol never again will i drill through 2 ft of ice with a hand auger.
    Finally used a hand auger today. Never again. A coworker and I decided to hit the lake during our lunch break today (why not?). He has an Eskimo 8" hand auger that he uses as a backup to his 10" Mako, so we brought it along. You spend too much time drilling with a hand auger. I still stand by the "all you really need" statement, but all I really "need" to get to work are my legs, and that isn't happening.

I've had good luck on Green. We've taken the kids out and they had a blast. They're definitely not big though, with 20" being the biggest I personally know of being caught recently. It's still a good time though, and the perfect spot if you refuse to get skunked on a day out.

I am wesley from Anchorage moved to anchorage about a year ago from glennallen, i am looking for someone to go with on the weekends to go ice fishing with, i have tons of gear even with a powered 12 inch auger, i am looking for a ice shelter right now to buy, let me know anyone wants to join up and go fishing, ether get ahold of me though my phone, phone or text me at 907-444-4074 or email me at wesak81@hotmail.com