Thread: Knife sharpener

Default Knife sharpener

I'm new here to the forum. Just wondering if anybody has tried the worksharp knife and tool sharpener looks like its pretty good on knives as well as tools like axes and machetes if you have one let me know what you think

I don't like anything powered for sharpening. For knifes I use a Lansky diamond honing system. For the axe, a 1 1/2 inch block of wood near the eye adjacent to the butt so I get 30 degrees and I draw-file it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Grinding wheels, Belt Sanders and all mechanical variations can overheat the thin edge of the steel and damage the tool. That is too risky in my opinion.

I guess I'm more of a purist...hand file for primary angle (new edge or after deep chip to edge only), diamond stones to oil stone to finishing stone on my knives. Wood working chisels, I use sandpaper affixed to plate glass (80, 120, 320, 800, 1500 and 2000) at a 25 degree angle. I use a file and perhaps a Diamond Stone for Ax, Hatchet or Machete.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    Grinding wheels, Belt Sanders and all mechanical variations can overheat the thin edge of the steel and damage the tool. That is too risky in my opinion.

I guess I'm more of a purist...hand file for primary angle (new edge or after deep chip to edge only), diamond stones to oil stone to finishing stone on my knives. Wood working chisels, I use sandpaper affixed to plate glass (80, 120, 320, 800, 1500 and 2000) at a 25 degree angle. I use a file and perhaps a Diamond Stone for Ax, Hatchet or Machete.
    Carborundum/India/Arkansas stones for carbon steel, diamond for stainless.

However the abrasive is delivered to the edge, all that is necessary is to maintain a constant angle of deliveryŚno rocking of abrasive or blade. This seems to be a fact of physics beyond many, the "I just can't sharpen a knife" folks and is responsible for the popularity of the Lansky system.

Pick an abrasive suited to the steel, maintain your angle, and the blade will become sharp.

As nuskovich notes, the final angle is polished or honed appropriate to the use of the blade. My chisels are hollow-ground, the edge accomplished with carborundum, honed down to a white Arkansas. Carving knives are sharpened with a diamond, honed down to a leather strop.

I'm in the process of teaching two of my grandchildren the basics of woodworking, and their first lesson was to sharpen a purposely dulled, carbon steel jackknife to the point where it would shave like a razor.

Attachment 66275

I bought one about a year ago at a gun show in Mesa Az. Works like a dream with hair cutting edges. The belt doesn't run real fast, so it doesn't overheat any metal. I use the medium belt to put a sharp edge on a knife, and then the ultra fine one to hone. They have a coarse one, but only tried it on cheap knives to shape the edge. I see they also have a diamond belt for those ceramic blades. I could never get an edge, and now with a few passes, I'm good to go.

Default Re: Knife sharpener

I bought one in September. We had several elk to cut up on a Saturday. If we got the three of them done in one day, ment we got to salmon fish on Sunday. That being said, after using mine for the day to other two guys purchased theirs within a week!
    Yes they work and they work well!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Default Knife sharpener

I got the worksharp sharpener for Christmas and it works really well ad doesn't get the steel hot enough to lose temper because its not turning enough rpms ice sharpened every knife in the house with it as well as my axe and machete and I'm still on the original 2 belts

I got one for Fathers Day this year, used it on everything I could find that needed a edge put on it. Works great..
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I don't like anything powered for sharpening. For knifes I use a Lansky diamond honing system. For the axe, a 1 1/2 inch block of wood near the eye adjacent to the butt so I get 30 degrees and I draw-file it.
    What he said!! I do use the Lansky rod and stone dodad that keeps the angle consistant and puts a really good edge on it.

I've tried powered sharpeners over the years and I always seem to go back to flat stones...just work better for me.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Lansky or Gatco

If your willing to spend the money check out wicked edge products.