Thread: Susitna basin snowfall amounts?

Default Susitna basin snowfall amounts?

Ok, I'm "stuck" here at our home on the Big Island and was waiting for snow before I fly home. All you peeps on the Susitna have any reports for me? Especially ftom Pt. Mac to Sleeping lady! Mahalo!

You will be disappointed if you expect decent snow. I am looking at bare ground with a few snow snakes in Wasilla.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Finally got a hold of someone out at Alexander and the lower Susitna recieved around ten inches so far! Must be skimming right by Wasilla apparently?

Default Susitna basin snowfall amounts?

There's almost always an inverse relationship between the amount of snow that falls from a given storm in the mat-su core area / talkeetna mtns and the amount that falls up the susitna basin. has to do with where the upsloping occurs, usually it is concentrated in one region or the other but not both.

Only maybe 3 inches here in fishhook / hatcher pass, sounds like the su valley might finally have enough to establish a bit of a base.

There's almost always an inverse relationship between the amount of snow that falls from a given storm in the mat-su core area / talkeetna mtns and the amount that falls up the susitna basin. has to do with where the upsloping occurs, usually it is concentrated in one region or the other but not both.

Only maybe 3 inches here in fishhook / hatcher pass, sounds like the su valley might finally have enough to establish a bit of a base.

Yes your right, at Alexander it will snow a foot 10 miles up river and 2 inches at the mouth. Probaly has something to do with the Sleeping Lady. I'm happy now! Guess I'll leave the 80 degree weather on my Lanai and head home next week!

I drove down toward Pt. Mac and there was 10" to a foot out there.

we have about 16" on the ground 10 miles up the yentna

akriverunner;1215739]we have about 16" on the ground 10 miles up the yentna

Right on, the more the better!

hey alexander i was out there yesterday good snow probably 16 inches plus all the way no sand showing but not great snow
    they have ran an unusual way between arlete avenue in the dry washes to were you go into the wood
    just before drop they went out on the river do to some open leads in there must be leaching out of the swamps
    and staying open the back way into the woods up to my place by the runway has had an open lead right
    at the bottom of it so for just a day trip to get in a new wood stove i went down and around all was fine hope this helps
    hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    hey alexander i was out there yesterday good snow probably 16 inches plus all the way no sand showing but not great snow
    they have ran an unusual way between arlete avenue in the dry washes to were you go into the wood
    just before drop they went out on the river do to some open leads in there must be leaching out of the swamps
    and staying open the back way into the woods up to my place by the runway has had an open lead right
    at the bottom of it so for just a day trip to get in a new wood stove i went down and around all was fine hope this helps
    hope this helps
    Yeah, I put that trail in right after I got back from Hawaii. The regular route is indeed crummy because of the swamp runoff. Unfortunatly the wind howled out here for two days and the sand is back in the drywash before Arlette ave. No hauling for me until it snows again. Figures I groom it and it starts blowing. Went by your place the other day just running around for something to so and noticed you had been there.

thanks for letting me know about the sand i figured as much the way the wind blew out on the flats
    yeah hauled in a new woodstove and broke the catlsyt so got a new one will get back out soon and
    maybe spend a little time i need to do some playing
    do you know what they are doing with the pipeline out there in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    thanks for letting me know about the sand i figured as much the way the wind blew out on the flats
    When You cross the east fork go up river about 200 yards from where we normaly cross and there is a slough that gets pretty skinny but not too skinny that has snow in it. You can miss all the sand that way. It is still doable in the dry wash but getting skinnier!