Thread: moisture in pop-up

Default moisture in pop-up

A while ago I read about a tarp on top of a pop-up to cut down on moisture. Haven't tried that yet... But, When I went out last weekend with my wife and 3 y/o son I set up my fatfish and a floor constructed of the puzzle piece style mats and as far as temperature goes, it stayed plenty warm with a Mr. Buddy "Big Buddy" when it was -40 outside. The only problem was, moisture would collect on the ceiling, run to the edges and then drip onto you while you were sitting in your lawn chair. I had both vents open all day/night but that only helped so much. Any ideas on how to cut down on the moisture?

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    A while ago I read about a tarp on top of a pop-up to cut down on moisture. Haven't tried that yet... But, When I went out last weekend with my wife and 3 y/o son I set up my fatfish and a floor constructed of the puzzle piece style mats and as far as temperature goes, it stayed plenty warm with a Mr. Buddy "Big Buddy" when it was -40 outside. The only problem was, moisture would collect on the ceiling, run to the edges and then drip onto you while you were sitting in your lawn chair. I had both vents open all day/night but that only helped so much. Any ideas on how to cut down on the moisture?
    The people that told you how to do this KNOW what they are doing. They go out at -40 for a week.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I make sure I have pretty warm clothes on and I also pull the top open on a couple of the windows for cross ventilation. This keeps the temperature in my Quickfish warm enough for comfort but not so warm as to allow dripping off the ceiling. If I get too chilly I just close on of the velcro held windows or open it as needed. I recently was out for 5 days of ice fishing and I didn't want to accumulate too much carbon monoxide in my system so I made sure that I had plenty of cross ventilation.

Default Propane

Propane also prduces moisture without a direct vent heater

There are some guys in the states that have taken to putting insulation inside on the roof of their shantys.
    They use the foil lined bubble wrap insulation you can buy at home depot.
    Althouth it will help insulate your shanty it will not stop all the moisture. What it will do is direct the moisture to the sides where it will not drip on you.
    My understanding is they put the insulation between the poles of the shanty and the shanty material on the roof section.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Maybe try using one of the battery-powered tent fans that you can hang from the top of the pop-up. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking at one at Sportsman's that runs around $30. I'm cheap, and not sure if I want to spend cash when I can just open a window, but I'm assuming that the fan will get the heat circulating in the pop-up, and probably allow you to keep your buddy heater on low most of the time, or just on and off through the day - maybe even saving some cash on propane. Haven't tried it though, but it's a suggestion.

The roof insulation seems like a pretty good idea too. Lightweight as well. Might have to look into that..