Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Judging video

Default Bear Judging video

So I have been thinking... I got a ton of footage from our Kodiak hunt last month and after looking on youtube I wasn't able to find a single video on how to judge a brown/grizzly bear. I am by no means an expert myself .. actually far from it but, with everyones input from the forum I think we could make something helpful for all bear hunters.

My thoughts were:

I would take my best footage of all the bears I have on video and number each clip, possibly have other people upload clips too.

I would make a private link which would be shared on the forum and we could vote on the 10 clips (+-) that portray characteristics of different sized bears

I would then cut it down to those clips and begin to add commentary on how we, the forum, determined the size of each bear.

Then I would repost the revised version, take comments, reedit, and post a final video.

Thoughts?
    -JR

Default Re: Bear Judging video

That would work if you have a real age and size for all of them. I'd like to see the videos either way

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    That would work if you have a real age and size for all of them. I'd like to see the videos either way

sent from my igloo
    exactly...love to see the footage also but unless you have the exacts it will a be speculation and there are lots of "experts " so you are likely to get a range of guesses...just my opinion of course//

Try this... oldy but goody....

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Regretfully today many just as soon take sows so they don't have more cubs.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

or a little one cause its a tough tag to draw and they just wanna say they killed one....we had that thread a while back...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    Try this... oldy but goody....

I have that one as well.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Alaska Dept of Fish and Game has a decent video for judging bears. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...dia.main_howto

Gilliland,

It would be a lot of work for you but I think it would have value. Anything that helps is good.

Randy

Shoot me a PM and let's talk about this. We are trying to build resource pages for hunters interested in these things, and could host the video on those pages, along with some written content to help hunters make good shooting decisions in the field.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Ahhh where is good old Joe Want when we really need him? Also, I'm sure AGL might have something to add to this discussion....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Default The video is up

Here is the link to the first version of the video. Just pm me or reply to the post with what your estimates are on size along with defining characteristics of each bear & I will take an average of everyones estimates and add that to the video. I am guessing that at least one of the bears is in there twice but wanted to have everyone check it out and see what you thought.
    Thanks everyone
    -JR

good idea jr...but honestly i'm having trouble with most of the footage. i'm definitely not getting clear enough picture to sex most of your bears much less judge them for size...kinda important to know what sex a bear is to get any accurate size determination.

number twelve is the only bear i can get a good enough look at to tell its a boar, and i'm putting him between nine and nine and a half based on body size in realtion to head lengths, neck length, and high hips...more importantly you can see a perfect broadside shot with a good look at the bears head. his nose is noticeably about half the length of his head. a telltale sign its a mature boar.

number one is estimated at 7 foot or so, but no mention of sex...a bear of that size could be either sex in any area i've ever hunted for bears. and i definitely cant see the footage well enough to tell (with any conviction) the sex of this bear.

you've got number two at nine foot est...i couldnt see the footage well enough to agree with that with any conviction for sure.

bears can take some looking at to judge accurately. but i personally think that sexing bears is much more important for most bear hunters than being able to judge any squared hide size.

i think you've got a great idea here jr...i just think for educational purposes on bear judging, it'd be best to have good enough footage to accurately see the indicators of sex, and maybe its just my comp or something, but i'm getting grainy images without much definition.

Odd reply to this thread...but odd replies run rampant here. theres obviously some hunters that would like to be sure when they approach their dead bear that it, indeed, was approximately the same bear they thought it was when they pulled the trigger. hence the efforts to learn to judge. oh yeah and theres even the odd guy that gives a **** whether they kill a male or female...for many different reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    Odd reply to this thread...but odd replies run rampant here. theres obviously some hunters that would like to be sure when they approach their dead bear that it, indeed, was approximately the same bear they thought it was when they pulled the trigger. hence the efforts to learn to judge. oh yeah and theres even the odd guy that gives a **** whether they kill a male or female...for many different reasons...
    Exactly. First and foremost to "most" good bear hunters, it's imperative to know the sex of the bear more so than knowing anything else about it. And I agree that from the op's video alone, this would be very hard to do......

So, is the massive, underlined, red font to signify screaming at the top of your lungs....or what?

Bear number 2 was decently sized, Bears #6 and #8 looked to both be large, I would have liked to see bear #9 a little better becuase it looked decent, and bear #10 would be a shooter if it didn't have the cub in tow. personally those would have all been shooters. Gilliland440; when judging a bear look at the head size in relation to the body size, this is always a good start for indication of a good sized bear, regardless of species (black, brown, interior grizz, etc). If the head looks small in comparison to the body, this is normally indicative of a large bear, and if the head seems large for the body it is normally indicative of a smaller bear. Also look at the head shape, are the ears more to the side or on top of it? and is the head blocky looking or longer and narrower? Look for tell tale signs of a larger bruin; swinging of the legs instead of walking (also known as "lumbering along"), look at how low the belly hangs in comparison to his legs. Also, watch the bear to see if he is aggressive, dominant bears in an area generally are the more aggressive ones, and they also tend to be the larger ones. Watch his movements, does the bear seem to jerk his body or does it flow when he moves? These are good starting points of the things I like to look at when judging bears

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    So, is the massive, underlined, red font to signify screaming at the top of your lungs....or what?
    I kinda just figured it was that one technique: ya know the one where you take up a whole lot of room and dont ever really say anything...

kinda like going hunting a bunch...and never killin anything...

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post

kinda like going hunting a bunch...and never killin anything...
    Don't they call that camping...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Don't they call that camping...
    I thought it was hiking with a gun.......lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast