Thread: Hunting the Moon

Default Hunting the Moon

Over the years I haven't paid much attention to the moon when I'm hunting. I've always kind of figured it doesn't matter because I am going to hunt regardless of what the moon is doing. But it has always kind of intrigued me. In about thirty years of hunting, the only general observation that I think I can say I have ever noticed is that diurnal animals tend to be more active during a new moon. My assumption was that they were more active during the day because they rested all night. I have also heard others say that during a full moon, those same diurnal animals will be more active in the middle of the day. Common sense has lead me to believe that most predators and nocturnal animals will be more active at night during a full moon. I haven't hunted predators at night long enough to say either way. But, I also read that some animals like deer and moose that rut in the fall will be increasingly active on the days surrounding the second full moon after the autumnal equinox. This wouldn't really be helpful for us in AK because the autumnal equinox is Sept. 20 or 21. and moose season closes around that time. But I was just curious what other people thought about moon phases and their affect on game activity. What observations have you made? Do you think the moon affects game activity and how? What types of animals does it affect, and how does it affect them differently? Do you think it is all just a myth? Or do you think it affects animals but their are too many variables like differences in air pressure, weather, etc. to really see a discernible pattern?

It effects me wanting to be out so must have some effect on critters.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It is frequently during the autumnal equinox that the bulls come down from the high ground, where they were hiding out from the flies, to rut. You'll also notice that other animals, especially the smaller ones, are more active at night during low atmospheric pressure and, especially, during rainy nights.

This discussion is above my pay grade. I never paid attention. It's not the moon cycle that effects me but the work cycle that let's me go when I can
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I cannot relate to Alaskan ungulates but the past ten years I did observe the white-tailed deer in Michigan during different moons. Having to plan days off to be in the woods, I would time it so I am hunting a 4 hour window (2 hours before and after) when the moon is directly overhead (due South) or 12 hours later when it is in the exact opposite position of the earth. Sort of the tidal pull thing going on inside animals brains making them active. No scientific data to support this they just seemed to be actively moving at those times. Depending on the time of the day that that would occur, I would be near feeding areas early AM and late PM, transition areas in late AM and early PM, and lastly in the bedding areas mid-day. Suppose I'll use this for Black-Tailed, Moose, Elk, Sheep, and Goats. Caribou are the mystery.

Default Hunting the Moon

Based on the title of the thread, I thought I missed something in the drawing permit supplement... Like they transplanted bison or goat to the moon. That would be a pretty spendy hunt, but you'd end up with some great pics!

Hunting Wolves in the snow cover expanses here by Moonlight is productive and fun. Its very well lit.

Use a predator call and a shotgun, as precise aiming isnt always easy, your litterally shooting at Shadows.

Caribou are active day and night, like Geese, some are eating, some napping , all are just doing their thang. No choice when its dark 23 hours a day.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....