View Poll Results: Should all Hunters be required to have hunters education

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • All hunters should be required to have hunters education

9 10.98%
  • In the absence of justifiable data, leave the Hunters Education standards as is

57 69.51%
  • Require all hunters in Alaska to present an Alaskan Hunters Education prior to buying a license

2 2.44%
  • Require all hunters in Alaska to present any state Hunters Education prior to buying a license

14 17.07%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the regulation be changed to require All Hunters to have hunters education

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Should the regulation be changed to require All Hunters to have hunters education

So in the spirit of the debate on hunters education, lets see what the concensus is.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Here is the current regulation:

Alaska Hunter Education Requirement

Hunter Education Certification is required for young hunters in Units 7, 13, 14, 15, and 20. If you are under 16 years of age, you must have either successfully completed a Basic Hunter Education course or be under the direct immediate supervision of a licensed hunter who is:

1. 16 years of age or older and has successfully completed a certified hunter education course,
    2. born on or before January 1, 1986.

If you are 16 years of age or older AND were born after January 1, 1986 you must have successfully completed a Certified Hunter Education Course before you can hunt. In addition, all hunters must complete a Hunter Education Certification class before hunting in these areas:

• Eagle River Management Area for black bear & small game,
    • Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge,
    • Mendenhall Wetlands State Game Refuge if under age 15 or be accompanied by an adult,
    • Palmer/Wasilla Management area (shotgun for big game),
    • and all army military lands.

Hunters in weapons restricted areas (archery, muzzleloading, or shotgun) must complete a state-approved certification course for that weapon. Weapons certification does not satisfy general Hunter Education Certification requirements and visa versa.

An IHEA card earned in any state shows completion of Hunter Education in any state, acceptable in AK. Same as the archery. As long as the archery was taken separately, 10 hour course, it is acceptable in any state.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Where is the NO option?

Can't vote as the "No, Alaskan Hunters don't need even more ridiculous nanny laws" option isn't available.
    Should Hunters Ed be offered? Absolutely. Should it be mandatory? Nope.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Three choices are the same and one to leave as is. AS is
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Would it be nice to have all educated? 100% would be. Is it realistic? I don't think it is.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Leave it alone. It's onerous enough as it is.
    Now what ?

As member Spookum pointed out in the other thread, to preface a poll question with "in the absence of justifiable data", introduces personal bias and skews the outcome of the poll. Most anyone would answer "no" to that question as presented, but the subject of that question is essentially what was being debated in the original thread in the first place. The poll taker obviously feels there is no "justifiable data" to support a need for hunter education. Others disagree. Constructing a biased poll such that the outcome reinforces the poll takers personal opinion, proves nothing except that the poll was biased.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Plain yes or no would have served better but still wrong on what folks really think
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Can you imagine if humans actually made decisions based on good data? What would we need forums for?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Can you imagine if humans actually made decisions based on good data? What would we need forums for?
    This begs the question of what we need the forums for now? Are they not for the purpose of holding open dialog about Alaska? We have the option of basing our conversations on factual information, thus making the conversations potentially meaningful; or we can hold conversations based on emotion, hearsay, imagination, or just plain lies we pull out our butts....the latter conversations being of little value, save for cheap entertainment.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Leave it alone. It's mind-boggling how people come up with stuff that would allow 'big brother' to control and run our lives in more ways. I can understand how some people can't go through life without being told what to do or how to do it, but that's not for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Can't vote as the "No, Alaskan Hunters don't need even more ridiculous nanny laws" option isn't available.
    Should Hunters Ed be offered? Absolutely. Should it be mandatory? Nope.

While I don't support a statewide mandatory hunters education requirement... one benefit of a mandatory hunters education license requirement would be that my chances for draw tags would increase.

I voted to leave it as is for want of another option, because I don't really want any adult hunter to be mandated to take the course (and I am an instructor BTW). Perhaps if a person commits a major faux pas it should be mandatory. Dunno.
    I believe mandatory certification is inevitable, however, and that it should be taught as part of the curriculum in middle school or high school throughout Alaska. It would be far better than many other class offerings, as it teaches respect for firearms, safety and conservation. What's bad about that?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    As member Spookum pointed out in the other thread, to preface a poll question with "in the absence of justifiable data", introduces personal bias and skews the outcome of the poll. Most anyone would answer "no" to that question as presented, but the subject of that question is essentially what was being debated in the original thread in the first place. The poll taker obviously feels there is no "justifiable data" to support a need for hunter education. Others disagree. Constructing a biased poll such that the outcome reinforces the poll takers personal opinion, proves nothing except that the poll was biased.
    I suppose one could make a new poll....

1. Alaskan hunters must present an old hunting license or a valid hunters education card.

2. Keep the law the way it is, so if you were born before 1986, and have never handled a fire arm in your life, you can go hunting and shoot the first thing you see that you think is legal.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    I suppose one could make a new poll....

1. Alaskan hunters must present an old hunting license or a valid hunters education card.

2. Keep the law the way it is, so if you were born before 1986, and have never handled a fire arm in your life, you can go hunting and shoot the first thing you see that you think is legal.....

In question two that would not happen as the person would need old license or card

Default he in schools

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I believe mandatory certification is inevitable, however, and that it should be taught as part of the curriculum in middle school or high school throughout Alaska. It would be far better than many other class offerings, as it teaches respect for firearms, safety and conservation. What's bad about that?
    My thoughts exactly. But last I heard, ASD disagrees with this. But that was the old guard (CC), so who knows where the new superintendent will stand on that.

Default school Fire arm cert or training

As a ASD educator students already have to much stuff to do just to pass that @#$#@#$ HSQE. Some students need not go period. You have student with serious IEP'S. Way to many liberals also. ASD does offer rifler y as an elective but this is also dieing slowly. The hand on would be a safety risk for every student to have to take this. There are students I WOULD NOT LET NO ANY RANGE IS WAY ONE EVEN ONLY SHOOTING PELLET RIFLES! Beside if they want to learn and hunt they will find the right adult who will teach them. I said I would hope! We already have big brother tell us to many thing already!

=FamilyMan;1215683]My thoughts exactly. But last I heard, ASD disagrees with this. But that was the old guard (CC), so who knows where the new superintendent will stand on that.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    In question two that would not happen as the person would need old license or card
    Not if we keep the law the way it is. You would have to vote for either.... It is kind of a play on words. Anything can be twisted to sound nice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast