Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ???Big Boss???

Default ???Big Boss???

Okay a couple questions on the 2013 Big Boss if I could..... Still would like to know if the bolt breaking problem has been found in the 13's. When I picked it up yesterday making 2 extra bolts part of the deal they researched there parts sales for the machine and found no bolt sales but did find a couple of the plastic bushings being sold so included 4 of those. Has the bushings been recently added to the machines new model???
    Also I will by my own Warn(1 for rear too)a.d am not interested in the stock placement way down low where it will live in mud and water a.d have you elbow deep everytime its needed...not to mention having to reach in blind a.d not see how its spooling your wraps. My thoughts with just looking quickly at it before leaving for the Slope is to cut out the nose plastic and weld on a couple dogears to the frame to fabbed and bolt on a winch mount/cage where the winch will live. I don't want to block the grill completely a.d stop air flow to the rad ut may encroach on it some on the lower portion....how hot do these run and am I asking for problems?
    With a rear mounted with as well are you guys having issues with battery size and the charging system? Granted they won't be ran at the same time.
    Has anone been reading rear axles on these? I want a set of Gorillas for the front but what about rears? I will be running 26/12 on backs and 26/10 Outlaws when hunting and looks like an offset or spaces to clear muffler and front wheels too.
    Any input will be appreciated a.d will probably run 589's or Swamplites when not on the gnarly moose hunt.

Well I left for the Slope the morning after bringing the new Boss home the night before and have been doing some Christmas shopping for him. So far on the way is 2 Viper Max 3500lb winches with synthetic rope,Richochet a arm guards anodized black,Hid plug and play for all three lights,heavy duty front springs,Aopec Smart battery isolator kit for my soon to come dual battery setup,dual heat hand warmers,dual heat thumb warmer, front/rear winch,handwarmer/thumb warmer rockers from OTRATTW.
    I have a feeling Ill be researching a 12" led light bar or two....just a feeling. Been thinking about tires alot,I may just keep the outlaws for the Honda and get a set of "something else" for the Big Boss. Liking the Pitbull tires a bit but need to be sure of fittment,they run almost an inch oversized so a 25.5 is a true 26.5 which I know will fit but only offered in 8 & 10 inch wide in that size. I want 9 & 11 on width which puts me to a 26.5 being a true 27.5 I think that may not work, any opinions on that?
    Can't wait to get back and start on the headache rack/front rack upgrade and winch mounts!

The bolt in question broke on my 2013 at exactly 100 miles (19 hours). It bent the upper control arm where the spindle knuckle bolts to it. Southport Marina is warrantying everything. They are also contacting Polaris to see what, if anything, is being done to change/modify the design so this problem does not keep happening.

I will be looking into modifying the lower are to make it like the Ranger 6x6 in that it will have two bolts/bushings.

Thanks for the feedback BigSub...good to know its the 13's too,Im going to print out the parts schematics for the Ranger 6 by and see what I can come up with on this end too. Not an issue I care to have on my mind all the time while way back in on a hunt..... This shouldn't be too hard to accomplish with a welded and lathe near by.

Cwoods
    let us know what u come up with
    I have a 2011 and take it back in 20 30 miles and it gitting to be a habbit to keep looking at the rear end and saying did i brake one ?
    boy its going to be a long walk if i cant fix it out here but sofar so good

I'll come up with something JB and be sure to share how it goes.... Your checking every 20-30 miles is no way to have to worry,takes away from the hunt. It'll be done while its clean and "mile free" so I can try to have piece of mind. I ended up getting a 9" VisionX Xmitter led bar in a flood pattern to point reward up high on the headache rack for after dark quartering of animals. Anxious to see the light pattern.
    All kinds of ideas running through my head for the a arm bolt problem but just ideas....wish I took pictures of the area before leaving for the Slope so right now just guessing. My hunting partner is a great fabricator with alot of skills/tools(welders/mill etc etc)in his shop so whatever I come up with he always improves on anyhow. In one way or another we'll get the job done. He actually has a patented atv hitch system that has Moose and Koplin communicating with him that we've been personally using for 10+ years.....that patent deal is a looooong road he's found out but finally complete.

Just thought Id share to see if anybody else has done this. As far as the breaking bolt problem I ran into someone here at work who has a 2010 and thinks he's fixed the problem or at least hasn't had one break again since. He says he went through 6 bolts before changing the direction the bolt goes in to match the rear and tighten to specified torque using green locktite. Apparently changing the direction and using the locktite keeps the nut from backing off and causing play to break the bolt....any others done this with success? He has 600 miles now doing this without issues....

Default ???Big Boss???

Nothing wrong where the winch is mounted. Just hook you winch hook up high to grab Your not gonna be worried about spoiling while getting out of a mid hole. You can re-spool once your out

Actually spooling while pulling out of a "stuck" isn't my worry. I agree best winching is the hookup being higher than the height of the mounted winch but one....Id rather not have the winch where its in constant mud and water,two....more visable and accessible spooling line back in AFTER getting out of a hole,and three the stock location is situated right over the front differential where you have to dismount the winch to change fluids and Im adamant about maintenance and fluid changes.....

Well got a few things done to date on the new 6x6..... Firstly I installed new heavy duty front springs and Ricochette a arm guards on all 6 corners. Broke everything down and pulled every electric connection apart and dielectric greased them the way they should have been and cut cheesy zip ties that were to loose or too tight and redid them. Wired in relay for all 3 headlights to be on on hi,installed a buss bar for accessories, hid lights for all 3,lighted rocker switches for hand warmers and rear winch yet to be installed in the next couple days,toggle with idiot lite for the 9" VisionX led bar to be installed on the cargo rack when I build it in the soon future, auxiliary Odessey 925L battery with Aopec isolator that has front/rear winch and rear flood Vision X directly wired to it and heat shielded the fuel tank and exhaust side rear fender.....gonna fab the rear fender support a bit with the welder since the extra battery encroached on the area. More to do and enjoying it as I go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Auxiliary battery and isolator....20130124_171150.jpg20130121_205311.jpg

Biggest priority as of now is the a arm bolt issue.....taking the machine over to the friend who's "milling" the issue away for me tomorrow to have another look before he finishes up the remedy.....Ill expand on that when its finished. The issue will not exist for me when its done though that's for sure....although it won't be a quick fix or easy way out it will be worth the effort......the hunts are long waited for and shouldn't be spent dealing with or worrying about Polaris' lack of attention......shame on them!

Default ???Big Boss???

Thanks for the update CWoods! It is fun to mod these rigs and get them set up the way you want!

I assume you had the trim the bottom of that battery box to get it to fit above the mid-diff? Since I used a small battery, the fender support bolted over top and actually works to hold in the battery. It all looks sharp!

Keep us posted on your progress as well as the bolt fix!

Yea I wanted as much battery as I could achieve to make it worthwhile which did affect stock mount for rear fender support. A little fab work a.d the brace will be bolted back up. Going to do something with the front rack to make it more usable as well....

Looking nice. The battery slides in there well.
    Post as good of pictures for the A-arm fix. Those straps are how I got out of the woods last season, LOL.

Good on you for keeping on top of checking on it so you could limp out. I can see how the a arm could get buggard up quick enough if you werent to notice for a bit after the bolt snapped. I pulled the lower a arm so the fella helping me out could think on the right route to take while I was up at work this past couple weeks.
    Its pretty clear how its breaking on the threads behind the nut as the 3 piece crush spacer in the tube the mount bolt runs through isn't a very tight tolerance to that bolt. The outside crush spacer on the nut end looks as it would get play or slop which isn't ALOT but definitely enough on the thread section of the wimpy 3/8" bolt. I have been asking around about the 6x6's and have found 2 people who have broken a rear as well and a couple others who have had to weld repair the frame mounts for the a arms. I'll be replaceing all 4 with something better as well as beefing up the frame mounts which would be the next weakest link.
    Pic is just of stock a arm hardware...

20130124_214041.jpg20130124_214041.jpgWell I made a little headway on making the Big Boss more fit to myself and my needs. Got my switches on the pod figured out..... OTRATTW lighted toggles for rear winch and hand/thumb warmers and because of space went with a marine toggle and LED idiot light for 9" VisionX lightbar that will be mounted on headache rack and wired directly to auxiliary battery.

20130129_183502.jpg20130129_183437.jpgCopied the rear winch set up found here and mounted along with plug for wired remote if I wanted to use it.

Got a little nervous about heat from the exhaust affecting the isolator and where I mounted it so I made another barrier out of aluminum on the pipe heat shield side and lined the backside with heat shield mat.

Very impressive build, did you decide which tire and size or did I miss it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast