Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light weight rifle suggestions?

Default Light weight rifle suggestions?

So, I've sold some guns in the last month and I have a pretty healthy rifle budget.
    If you were going to buy a 30cal light weight rifle what would you get and why?
    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Lots of choices...you don't mention how light or how much your budget is.

Some good ones that I have hands-on experience with- you can get any of these under 7.5 pounds ready to hunt in a .30cal.
    Nosler 48
    Kimber Montana
    Weatherby Ultralight
    Tikka T3

There are others, but I've actually shot these enough to form a good opinion.

Also- forum member Teethmonkey has a Redhawk Custom Rem 700 in .308 on the swap and sell section.....attractive rifle as well as a good price.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Rifles Inc....because you can have one with a Rem 700 action!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

well since you didnt mention a budget I will add this one too..

http://www.bansnersrifle.com/2011/04...edition-rifle/

Default Re: Light weight rifle suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    well since you didnt mention a budget I will add this one too..

http://www.bansnersrifle.com/2011/04...edition-rifle/
    My budget isn't quite that big. I am curious about Christenson Arms.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If I were gonna buy another Factory Rife for beeg game hunting, I would choose the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Synthetic.

They make it in a Carbine version, with a 20" barrel, if you can deal with that. I would get the regular gun, and keep the 24" barrel or chop it to 22".

It should weigh a bit over 7 lbs. and that's light enough for me. I don't want a Super Lightweight rifle, because they're harder to shoot accurately off-hand.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If your rifle fund is healthy, I'd probably go for a Sako 85 Hunter Stainless with the 20" barrel. I consider 6.5-7lbs a lighweight rifle. The winchester featherweight compact would be next. As for the 30 caliber, a 308 Winchester with 180 grain accubonds.

Are you a right handed as that could make a big difference

Remington 700 Mountain LSS. 300. and if you wanna get frisky have it bored to a weatherby and you in my opinion would have the best caliber ever made(not to start a fight). still light, versatile...factory 165/180 tsx is a killer outta this gun. i did the same thing,
    only bought a ss pac-nor barrel then had it bored. best of both worlds, a 700 action and a great cartridge!

alot of ppl do not realize, you do not need to spend big money to have a weatherby. the 300 weatherby has the same bolt face as magnums. 7mm/300 mag...any magnum bolt face, then just have it bored...only thing to consider is mag box. but the 300's mag box cycles the weatherby cases just fine

Another one to look at would be Forbes.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

melvin forbes of new ultra light arms? thats the guy that built mine, i have a .416 rem at 6.5lbs and shoots like magic. light rifles are the only way to go...i'll never buy a rifle over 7.5lbs again...NEVER.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

What is your budget? And does that include the scope? Which 30 cal are you partial to? Lots to choose from: 308, 30-06, 300WSM, 300WM?

I think under a grand, Tikka. Under 1,300 - Kimber Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    What is your budget? And does that include the scope? Which 30 cal are you partial to? Lots to choose from: 308, 30-06, 300WSM, 300WM?

I think under a grand, Tikka. Under 1,300 - Kimber Montana.
    I have about $2000 to spend. I don't really need to buy a scope, I have plenty. I've been hearing some bad things lately about kimber rifles. I've shot the Montana in 300 wsm and loved how that gun shot. I actually may be able to buy that gun off of that guy if I really wanted to.

I've always been a 300 WM guy, but that's all I've used since I was 14. I do have a few other magnums, but their all pretty heavy. The lightest gun I have is about 10pounds scoped.

650ish for remmy 700 . you can buy allllllllot of barnes x bullets with the extra 1400 haha.
    you can pretty much get anything you want with that budget.ive never shot a tikka, but people will not quit talking about them. you can really talk to everyone you want and they are just gonna give ya their opinion. me, i like remmys, other tikkas, others kimbers...and so on. to bad they dont give ya a week or two return policy

If you really want a light weight rifle go see Steve @ alaskan custom firearms. He can make you a super light wight rifle. He made a 338 federal on a remington model 7 that weighed in at 4 lbs 15.6 oz scoped with open sights.

Default Light weight rifle suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    If you really want a light weight rifle go see Steve @ alaskan custom firearms. He can make you a super light wight rifle. He made a 338 federal on a remington model 7 that weighed in at 4 lbs 15.6 oz scoped with open sights.

I bet that thing kicks like a mule too! Lightweight in that caliber sounds scary. Good looking rifle though.

what'd that rifle run ya?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wow! That's a good looking rifle!!!
    Hows the accuracy?

now that is a light weight rifle if I ever did see one....you can take a dump heavier then that..... yeah what did that set you back..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast