Thread: The Hackle Thread what you should know and why

Default The Hackle Thread what you should know and why

Spent the better part of the day chatting with some of the businesses who thank the good lord decided we all needed better tying material.

The link is the who, when and why things happend in the Cape Business starting back to the Darbee day's and how things were improved.

Enjoy the link I think you will find it very interesting and if nothing else I assisted in passing along some knowledge.

http://cgtu.org/documents/publicatio...tic_hackle.pdf

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

RMM
    Blue Moose Rafting

Informative article, Moose.

Over the years, I've seen quite a range in the quality of hackle, some of it unusable.
    Might be time to give one of these producers a try. Thanks.

Years ago, I commented on another forum about advances in fly tying materials. I still contend that synthetic hackle is coming. The micro barb is the best thing for club fingers and dry flies IMO. Blue, ever study the life of the hook? Very interesting as well.

George

Hey George in fact I have a little it is beyond interesting as well. Was fortunate enough to do a little bit of work with Mustad back in the day. Well let me rephrase that a tad. When I was purchasing hooks by the 1000's count in the early 90's had a chance to work with the distibutor closely. :-)

Would be a good post knowing you are hanging back in the Real World during the winters I will wait for you post concerning Hooks. ;-)

Interesting, both on the hackles and the prospect on hooks. I was buying Mustads by the 10k bricks back in the late 60's and early 70's, and still have remnants from those bygone days. It's quite an education to compare those oldies but not-so-goodies with what we have today, whether modern Mustad or other "newcomers." Frankly I still have the remnants because I just don't use them.

It's been interesting too, to watch "oddball" hooks, at least from traditional US perspectives, arrive from other countries. A lot of the new styles coming into prominence for "Czech" and other European nymphing schools are a real departure. Couldn't have sold them to anyone as recently as 10 years ago, but today they're high fashion. Think along the lines of the advent of the circle hook into the world of j hooks for halibut. I'd seen circle hooks on Asian longliners in the late 60's before they appeared on our halibut longlines, but never in my life did I consider tying one onto a sport line. Brought a box back with me in the early 70's and they sat on a shelf for over 10 years.

Buddy came back from Vietnam last year with half a suitcase of hooks he picked up there. Some are like nothing you've ever seen before, and experiments in fly tying say they might stay obscure for good reason. But others work as well or better than anything I've seen on the US market to date. Best news, the most expensive hooks he bought were 70 cents per box of 100.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm sick of spending $10 or so for 10 or less premium hooks. Color me on a serious hunt for cheaper alternatives. Really cheap. I'm convinced they're out there when you get away from premium thinking.