Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Delta Bison

  1. #1

    Default Delta Bison

    I see that if you draw Delta Bison, you are "assigned" a hunting period. Can someone give me some insight to this. Is the assigned period a month, a week, two weeks? Is it possible to trade with another lucky applicant? Being a teacher, the only time I could go would be during Xmas break and Spring break. Can you ask for those time periods if drawn?

    I won't apply if there is no leeway.

  2. #2
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    diffferent start times is all.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  3. #3

    Default

    Can you give me an example tlingitwarrior? I've applied before, but I thought it was set dates for some reason.

  4. #4
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    The different start times vary by a few weeks, and if I recall correctly, all permittees are hunting by early November. Once your assigned hunt period starts, you're good to go for the rest of the season. Hunting during Christmas or Spring Break wouldn't be a problem at all, as all hunt periods would have started by then.

    Good luck in the draw!

  5. #5
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    Brian is spot on. Hunting your breaks would be no problem.

    IMHO, this hunt is the most over rated hunt in all of Alaska. It is a real treat to hunt these magnificant creatures, and there are only a handful of free range bison hunts in all the world........and the meat is good............but from a pure hunting standpoint, it doesn't compare. That being said I would have no problem doing it again.

    Just my .02, which is probably what its worth.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  6. #6

    Default

    TW, it's the same with muskox. I've done it three times, the hunt is...well, a kill, but the experience and meat is worth it.

    Thanks for all the info!

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Agreed on the quality of the hunt. If you can manage the logistics, the Farewell bison hunt is a much, much more enjoyable experience. Having done both (one as the hunter, the other as a helper), I would far rather win the Farewell permit. That said, this year I'm only applying for the Delta hunt due to time and cost restraints. One day, though, I sure would like to hunt the Farewell bison again.


  8. #8
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Brian, on the farewell hunt, did you fly in or snomachine?

    Nevermind, LOL, now that you posted the photo, I doubt you snogo'd in there...

    Nice photo, you look younger

    Man that thing would make a 70" bull moose look like a squirrel!!!

  9. #9
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Flew to Nikolai, then snowmachines from there. We looked hard at taking snowmachines over Rainy Pass along the Iditarod trail, but ended up deciding against it. We didn't have the most reliable machines in the world, I was in my last semester of college and thus didn't have a ton of time, and the horror stories we heard were many. I'd love to make such an expedition at some point, but I want to be sure I'm doing it right if I'm going to bite something off of that magnitude. It killed my youthful ego a bit to do so, but we hired a guy out of Nikolai to take us out on his machines.

  10. #10
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Nevermind, LOL, now that you posted the photo, I doubt you snogo'd in there...
    Yeah, the snow was pretty skinny, but there was (marginally) enough to get around.

  11. #11

    Default

    That's a great picture. Either hunt (Delta or Farewell)will probably cost me the same comining out of Bethel.

  12. #12
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Flew to Nikolai, then snowmachines from there. We looked hard at taking snowmachines over Rainy Pass along the Iditarod trail, but ended up deciding against it. We didn't have the most reliable machines in the world, I was in my last semester of college and thus didn't have a ton of time, and the horror stories we heard were many. I'd love to make such an expedition at some point, but I want to be sure I'm doing it right if I'm going to bite something off of that magnitude. It killed my youthful ego a bit to do so, but we hired a guy out of Nikolai to take us out on his machines.
    I know of a couple guys who snomachined into farewell from Big Lake on the Iditarod trail. What I heard was that about the time they got there, they were not in much of a mood to hunt!! Sounded like they had a rough trip in with sleds/gas/gear/etc.

  13. #13
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I know of a couple guys who snomachined into farewell from Big Lake on the Iditarod trail. What I heard was that about the time they got there, they were not in much of a mood to hunt!! Sounded like they had a rough trip in with sleds/gas/gear/etc.
    Yep, that matches what we heard. Gas-soaked gear, -30 temps, snowdrifts, falling through holes in the river ice, etc. etc. etc. Maybe if one followed the Iditarod trail as the race was getting ready to go and is well marked, but man...there is some significant opportunity for things to go wildly wrong. It would make for a great adventure, but it's no sure thing.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    I have a bit of experience with the farewell herd.. I also used to think they were overrated till one did his best to end my hunting days for good...

    Still one of the greatest hunts I have ever been part of.. At on point on the river bottom while hiding with a hunter in a small brush pile we had a herd of twenty or thirty pass by and some were a mere few feet from us truely awesome experience..

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    65

    Default Delta Hunt

    I don't understand some of these replies about the Delta Hunt. It took me 20 years to get that tag!! I busted my hump for over a week and yes I did get lucky. He is hanging on my wall right now. I will remember this hunt till I die. And yes he is mighty tasty!!! I know many folks who would give almost anything to get this one. If you check the stats less than one percent of applicants get lucky, thats over 10,000 people on average!! good lucky and enjoy every second because you only get one every ten years!!!


    QUOTE=Kusko;1214996]I see that if you draw Delta Bison, you are "assigned" a hunting period. Can someone give me some insight to this. Is the assigned period a month, a week, two weeks? Is it possible to trade with another lucky applicant? Being a teacher, the only time I could go would be during Xmas break and Spring break. Can you ask for those time periods if drawn?

    I won't apply if there is no leeway.[/QUOTE]

  16. #16
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fwilkin View Post
    I don't understand some of these replies about the Delta Hunt.
    Fantastic animals for sure, but personally I just didn't like the feeling of hunting in people's yards. With the trespass fees and such, those folks up there really have that dialed in.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fwilkin View Post
    good lucky and enjoy every second because you only get one every ten years!!!
    How do you figure that? Last year, .358% of applicants got drawn for the hunt, meaning on average, you would only get drawn once every 279 years.

    I think people replying about the hunt were referring to the "hunting" aspect of it, not necessarily the rarity of it or the meat. It's nice for those reasons, but not much of what most people would consider a "hunt" since most just spend their time huting farm fields. I know that may be somewhat normal for people used to hunting in areas of the lower 48, but not up here.

  18. #18
    Member alaska_pike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    big lake
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    How do you figure that? Last year, .358% of applicants got drawn for the hunt, meaning on average, you would only get drawn once every 279 years.

    I think people replying about the hunt were referring to the "hunting" aspect of it, not necessarily the rarity of it or the meat. It's nice for those reasons, but not much of what most people would consider a "hunt" since most just spend their time huting farm fields. I know that may be somewhat normal for people used to hunting in areas of the lower 48, but not up here.
    i wouldnt mind taggin one right in the domepiece with my 270 wsm if i ever get drawn. watch him just fold up

  19. #19

    Default

    You can hunt Delta Bison on Public land.. It took me 6 trips to Delta and about 20 days to kill my Bull on public land. I saw Bison every trip, but I was looking for a large Bull. The odds of me ever drawing again are slim to none. So, I made a winter out of it! Haha... I guess my point is, the Delta Bison hunt can be whatever you make it... If you want to shoot one in a farmers field the first day, or hunt them in the trees on public land.. It's up to you.


  20. #20
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default Delta Bison

    Brian M is right on about the time frames, if you get picked for the earlier hunt time, I would suggest trying to make time to hunt it, as these bison are wild...not some ranch bison, and are pretty wise about hunters, most spook pretty quick later on in the season. More chances to get drawn on the Delta hunt, and better access than Farewell, you don't 'have' to hunt in someones yard. Most farmers dislike the bison, as they tear up their fences and scare off the livestock, and most are very helpful letting you know where they may be hanging out. There is quite a bit of public land to hunt on also. Don't know how those Farewell bison taste, probably not much different than Delta ones, excellent meat. Definitely a hunt of a lifetime.
    Good luck on the draw!

    Attachment 66242
    "Grin and Bear It"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •