Thread: Anyone using a lyman trade rifle?

Default Anyone using a lyman trade rifle?

Saw these in a midsouth catalog. Are they any good? Price is reasonable.

Default Lyman Trade rifle

I have a percussion TR in .54 - It shoots prb into one hole @ 50 yds, I added the Lyman-brand rear peep sight.

I haven't owned it very long to try longer distances, or to try conicals.

So far I am impressed. Alot of bang for your buck.

As a reference - check out www.muzzleloadingforum.com - some good folks over there.

Nate

Default yeh

I bought a trade rifle in .54 cal when I lived down in Oklahoma and really like it.
    tough as nails as the first day I took it out I set it on top of my bronco when I stopped and glassed some hogs. Well I forgot about it long enough to see it fly off the roof and smash into a pretty big rock. Still works great!!!
    It is picky with the conicles I use though. I was first shooting the.....heck I can't remember the name. I think lyman makes a lead conicle round and I could keep a group at all. I mean it would shoot so bad that I took it to a gunsmith to see if I had bent the barrell when I dropped it. Nope barrel was straight.
    Then I tried the hornady lead conicle, 400 or 425 grain and holy s@#t what a different. Very accurate. I use 90 or 100 grains of goex FFG.
    I also have a target that I kept, shot 3 patched round balls at 100yds and all three are touching.
    I did replace the sights with the Lyman brand peep sight.
    very good inexpensive bp rifle, just find the right round.

You may have a barrel that is meant to shoot round balls. In other words it has a rate of twist (the bullet spins one time)somwhere between 60 and 70in., to slow for good accuracy with a conical bullet.

The trade rifle has a 1:48 pitch, same as the original Hawkens. I believe it is the same rifle as the Cabela's Hawken, both made by Interarms Corp. .54 round ball will take down about anything except a mad grizzly, and even then it would surely hurt him!

-Winter Hawk-

I have the Lyman 50 and 54 both, I shoot R/B and Conical in both with out any probs.

Gun Runner