Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NIce Bull, donated to a charity..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default NIce Bull, donated to a charity..

Well, Member GreyBeard and I, picked up a big one last night.. this guy was hit on a particularly dark road, and was found a few hours laster by troopers in a private yard/garden.

I found i am actually enjoying my Volunteer time with the AMF, and so far everyone i have delivered to has been great!

And you just never know, when your going to meet Nat Geo filming the AK state troopers.

Needing more Northpole Based Volunteers, Pay sucks, hours suck, you get called out of bed at 30 below, BUT!!!!!! YOU GET TO PRY FROZEN MOOSE off the road... but IT SURE IS FUN!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Good on you! That will feed a lot of hungry people.

I appreciate the work you guys are putting in this winter. Our church is on the charity list and last winter (with no AMF rollback) we got the call for one that died in a flower bed. Had to haul all the guts out in bags...
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Very nice. Do they sell the rack???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Watch Out HollyWood, Nice going Vince!! Did you make it on the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    They can auction them at the fur rondy events in February in Anchorage. However, they can also just keep them if there is funding for some taxidermy work or some volunteer time.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    who? the rack went with the moose to the charity on the road kill list.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    Watch Out HollyWood, Nice going Vince!! Did you make it on the show?
    we'll see, Rog and i both signed wavers so our mugs could appear on tv.. they let us know if they deside to air it

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I appreciate the work you guys are putting in this winter. Our church is on the charity list and last winter (with no AMF rollback) we got the call for one that died in a flower bed. Had to haul all the guts out in bags...
    that sucks! I also take my persoal time and head back when they call, and remove the waste pile, makes for good PR.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    we'll see, Rog and i both signed wavers so our mugs could appear on tv.. they let us know if they deside to air it
    With a mug like that there ain't a chance of air time...

Ha, that Graybeard causes me to be mistaken for Santa. All the kids want to watch.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

54 inches..........?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    54 inches..........?
    That's what I was wondering.....maybe 55...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That's what I was wondering.....maybe 55...???
    The way people seem to "guess" around here, I would expect to be hearing guesses in the low 70's..... After all, we all under estimate these things.

The roadkill list is and outstanding program and provides a lot of great table fair to multible familes but I've always thought that if a moose dies on your property then it's up to you, the land owner, to dispose of it. Did the land owner donate this or did the Troopers just call you guys? Did the home owner want the rack sence it stays with the moose or was it not even offered?

Just courious because I've read several instances were a moose died in someones yard from being hit and they are told that it now belongs to them and they have to dispose of it. This moose was hit on the road but it did not die until hrs later. No different than one being gut shot and running off to only later die in someones back yard and the troopers saying sorry we can't help and you must dispose of it. Again, not knocking the program in any way, just trying to get clairification on when the troopers/F&G are responsible, or step in, for disposal v/s the land owner.

Great job on the recovery and keep up the good work. 48" is my guess.

Vince, I have a slightly used shirt that applies more to you than I, I should disinfect it and send it your way........"I Eat Road Kill" Maybe next Hunt.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    The roadkill list is and outstanding program and provides a lot of great table fair to multible familes but I've always thought that if a moose dies on your property then it's up to you, the land owner, to dispose of it. Did the land owner donate this or did the Troopers just call you guys? Did the home owner want the rack sence it stays with the moose or was it not even offered?

Just courious because I've read several instances were a moose died in someones yard from being hit and they are told that it now belongs to them and they have to dispose of it. This moose was hit on the road but it did not die until hrs later. No different than one being gut shot and running off to only later die in someones back yard and the troopers saying sorry we can't help and you must dispose of it. Again, not knocking the program in any way, just trying to get clairification on when the troopers/F&G are responsible, or step in, for disposal v/s the land owner.

Great job on the recovery and keep up the good work. 48" is my guess.

I don't know all the nuances of the rules here.. but perhaps the difference is, the trooper had to dispatch it. the home owner seemed to think the person that hit it. got it, until i used the analogy of hunting with the old chevy... then he understood. this bull was wounded and the troopers put it down, and called out the salvage..

and tclarifyfy, we did request homeownepermissionon PRIOR to moving a single planter, fire pit, or stone, and i personally placed each object in the same spot it was, removed from, under thwatchfulugrandmotherlyry eye of the home owner, all the while being told NOT to bother ... ( we all know what that means from our elders eh? )

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    54 inches..........?
    3x4 nice browtines.... deep curving dishes in the palms.. eye guards narrower then the main palm.

meet on face book here

Thanks to Vince, Graybeard, and the AMF. You guys make my job so much easier and quicker. When the charities themselves had to come out for the animal it could sometimes take several hours before they even showed up and then they weren't always well versed in how to handle the animal.

The moose, or any road kill animal, belongs to the state, regardless of where it's hit or dies. Unfortunately, I've seen times where the animal has been dead for several days and is rotting, and then the state doesn't want it anymore, leaving it to the property owner to take care of it. It's not right, in my mind, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

That really kills me. The state wants to claim it while it is still fresh but once it's not, it is up to the property owner to dispose of it. They want their cake and want to eat it too, go figure??? Typical selfish attitude.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast