Thread: Where to fish for whitefish in the valley

Default Where to fish for whitefish in the valley

Looking for somewhere to catch 2-3 whitefish- never fished for them, but sure could use a few for burbot and lakers.

Or somewhere I could buy a few... After trying herring and whitefish, I believe it is a night and day difference as a bait fish.. Unfortunately, the small whitefish I had was in my sled and bounced out somewhere between Palmer and Gennallen.

I don't know how you would fish it right now but when we were fishing for silvers at the mouth of willow we caught 6-8 white fish.

dunno if you will find any. but open holes to deep spots on the little su will produce you may even try around houston and bring a auger and try some of the deep holes that have lots of water all year. there is a few and i know of some holes that have a ton of them. i love to smoke them beats salmon by far in my thoughts. and for catching them just a very small single hook and some red yarn just a small peice soaked in salmon roe. they tend to just suck the bait of and the yarn stays on. there mouths are not much bigger then a single egg

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Looking for somewhere to catch 2-3 whitefish- never fished for them, but sure could use a few for burbot and lakers.
    real early in the spring you can catch pan sized white fish at the mouth area of the Deshka. perhaps if you drilled a couple holes in that area you could catch some through the ice

Lakes, sloughs and other slow or not moveing waters. Whitefish school up and hold up in winter in such.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    i love to smoke them beats salmon by far in my thoughts.
    This guy's delirious and doesn't know what he's talking about. There's nothing to see here. Move along.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

nope not delirious at all. just my thought and i take it you think other wise so in turn you must be delirious sir as we are each to our own and i stated it was my thought not gods answer so hmm. I think thats my point!

My apologies troutslayer. You misunderstand my tongue-in-cheek comment completely. I meant no offense. I agree with you, and have loved smoked whitefish since I was old enough to point at them through the glass case in the deli. The secret's out now though; everybody in the state's going to be scooping up whitefish. <sigh>
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Just as long as you dont tell folks the belly on a smoked whitefish is the best part!!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....