Thread: Maybe the best Glock yet........

Default Maybe the best Glock yet........

The recent release of the Generation four Glock pistols may very well be the best Glock yet in terms of what the broadest spectrum of what knowledgable shooters want in a multi-purpose handgun.

A bold statement for sure but I've been shooting Glocks for about 20 years and handguns in general for about 45 or so. I was pretty good with a 1911 on the competitive circuit for a few decades and I think I've shot them all. And, oh yes, I sitll own a few very nice 1911 models and am well versed in their capability but given the well earned reputation, the Glock had a steep hill to climb to improve on the pistol. The Generation three pistols, generally had a single stage recoil spring, and a finger grooved and dimpled grip, with a port side only (for right hand shooters) magazine and slide release. This new breed has a dual stage recoil spring, (the Gen 3 G30 had a dual also and may be one reason it shot so well in the hands of disciplined shooters) and a reverse-able (not really ambidextrous) mag release, an enlarged and easy to operate rectangular button, while retaining the standard Gen 3 slide release. The dual stage recoil spring requires a modification to the slide to open the guide hole so it cant be dropped into a waiting Gen 3 gun.

Another addition and subtraction, I guess is that the Gen four does away with the much more ergonomic short frame (SF) grip profile on the large frame guns (G20, G21) and brings to the table only one design and that of a reduced grip frame for the large frame guns and a standard dimension frame in the small frame. With the addition of two slide on covers that pin in place with the trigger block pin (included). This allows each gun to be increased in size to accommodate larger shooting hands.

Gen 3 guns in G20 and G21 were available in the standard (large ) grip size or the SF size which is what we have now in the un altered Gen 4 guns. So no loss of my beloved SF frame though I do really like my G30 SF. I have seen a few of these Gen 4 guns and shot a few calibers of them. I have a new G21 Gen 4 and find all to be very accurate and fully reliable and expect the line to be fully the equal of the previous generation 3 guns. I shoot my G21 with the standard (smallest ) grip frame and modified it only with the extended slide stop and a 3.5# trigger connector. Glock. They just keep getting better!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Interesting review - thanks! When are these going to be available?

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    Interesting review - thanks! When are these going to be available?
    They have been out for a while now... I'm happy with my G3 G19 and don't see a need to get the latest and greatest after handing the G4. Just my opinion, others may differ.

I have a Gen 4 mod 35 I bought from a forum member and it is a really nice shooter. I have 3 other glocks and this one is definitely the easiest to shoot at distance and the trigger is nicer as well. I have 2 Gen 3 mod 22's that are nice guns as well. Heck- as ugly as they are- they just are darned great guns!

Murph, thoughts on the ejection issues with the late Gen 3 and Gen 4 model 9mm's? I've had a bit of personal experience with the issue but wanted your take...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Murph, thoughts on the ejection issues with the late Gen 3 and Gen 4 model 9mm's? I've had a bit of personal experience with the issue but wanted your take...
    I've seen a few dozen Gen 3 Glocks and only five Gen 4 here at my range in the past two years. There have been an occasional failure to function properly with these Gen 3's (limited rounds through the few Gen 4's with no failures) I would not say there have been any issues of any kind with these range guns. I recall what was obviously a failure to digest Hornady Steel Match ammo. Change of ammo, feeds fine, back to steel match, back to failure. A few limp wrists causing short cylcle, maybe a failure to eject, here and there for unknown cause but that's about it. I'd say if we omit my ammo malfunctions, there have been six or eight malfunctions of about 30 different Glocks at my place in the past 30 thousand rounds. This is where new shooters with new guns hang out so that's about the highest failure rate you'll find in pistols.

I do not take stock in rumor and conjecture, only my own experiences. I have not seen what I would cause a recurrent tendency to malfunction in any of the Glocks I hang out with. Three of us in the family now have gen 4's. I own a G17 with about 40,000 rounds through it. A G20 SF, a G30 SF, and old G21 OD frame with about 15,000 through it and this new G21 Gen 4. I shoot a lot with the G21 and G17, the G30 probably has about case of ammo thru it since out of the box. It is 100% malf-free. The old G21 has never failed to feed, fire or function. The G20 failed to fire once when I cycled loaded and attempted to dispatch a ground hog, the trigger didn't cock the striker. This was after the installation of a 3.5 connector (Ghost Rocket) so I'll blame that. A slight adjustment and never again. But I don't shoot the 10 mm much. The G21 gen 4 has exactly 400 rounds through it....100%. It seems easy to keep track of Glock failures.

But to defend another breed, my LB carry 1911 has never failed except when I tried to force feed it with some cast lead, it's only failure in about 15,000 rounds. I will say that my gen 4 gun doesn't eject the brass very far from my feet with standard cheap factory hard ball. The Ranger +P loads zip out there.

Tells us about your experiences with ejection problems.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Not really a failure issue, I was just wondering if you've experienced/seen the 'brass in the face' phenomenon that is seemingly prevalent on the Gen 4 9mm pistols. My wife's Gen 4 19 does it and I've yet to shoot my Gen 4 19 to see if it is also happening.

During the last pistol training course we took, she had zero malfunctions with it, but experienced the lackluster ejection.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Not really a failure issue, I was just wondering if you've experienced/seen the 'brass in the face' phenomenon that is seemingly prevalent on the Gen 4 9mm pistols. My wife's Gen 4 19 does it and I've yet to shoot my Gen 4 19 to see if it is also happening.

During the last pistol training course we took, she had zero malfunctions with it, but experienced the lackluster ejection.
    Now that you mention that, when one of the kids was shooting a gen 3 G17, brass was falling at his feet and bounced a couple off his ear muffs. This was a new gun and I took it apart and lubed it in a few strategic places and that helped. Also changing to some 124 grain ammo in place of the 115 helped the situation.

My G21 gen 4 does drop brass short but I think I consider that a break in thing. The Gen 3 G30SF will put brass in a five gallon bucket about 5 feet away.

Good to hear on the 45s. I do think it isolated isolated to 9mm.

If it'd ever warm up, I'm planning to run that new G19 hard to see if it has any issues.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I too am quite fond of the Glock products. Been shooting them for 20 years or so, got certified as a Glock Armor when the Fed Agency I worked for made me a Firearms Instructor. Standard issue for the agency at that time was the Glock 23 in 40 S&W. Ammo bought off the gov contract always seemed to be reduced velocity load...I suspect gov lawyers behind that for some reason. Everybody needs to qualify, strong and weak shooters alike...everybody needs to get a trophy, just like in little league. I am retired now, so cost of shooting now comes out of my own pocket. While I can appreciate the custom built hand fitted 1911's, IMO Glocks are just killing machines....ugly as hell to look at but a thing of beauty to behold when the time comes...

While the vast majority of my expereince with Glocks has been the G23 model I've not expereinced the feed or extraction problems discussed in this thread previously. I had done some experimenting with upgrades that caused feed and extraction problems but that was my own tinkering, not factory fault.

For my "retirement guns" I purchased two Glocks, a G21 SF and a G30, both 3rd generations. The G30 I had Mag-na-ported and honestly I can not tell the difference in shooting that gun with standard 45 ACP ammo to shooting the old government issue 40 cal rounds. The G30 is a daily carry for me.

The G21 I recently converted to shoot 45 Super. Changed to a longer Lone Wolf compensated barrel, heavier recoil spring and I had to double up the magazine spring. The increased recoil of the hot 45 Super round would turn a stack of ammo inside the magazine sideways with a single magazine spring. I lost two rounds capability by doubling the magazine spring but now have a very reliable Glock 21 chambered in 45 Super with an eleven round capacity. I can live quite nicely with that....and plan to. Buffalo Bore 255 grain Hard Cast at a tad over 1100 fps is an awesome round. The G21 wears a Surefire X300 under rail light with a grip switch. The extra length of the Lone Wolf Barrel now equals the length of when the X300 light used to stick 1/2 inch out in front of the end of the barrel.

The last challenge I need to prevail upon is to convince the good folks at Diamond D Holster/Guide's Choice Holster to build me a front carry tanker type rig for hunting in the configuration that my G21 is presently built. At present they refuse to build a holster for any gun that wears an under rail weapon mounted light. I've even offered to send them my light to use as a model to form fit the holster. No budging that guy. He is apparently solidly convinced that there is no need to wear a holster containing a handgun for use at night.....that guy needs to get a job in the fed government.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

I oversaw the conversion from revolvers to semi-auto for my 3 letter agency and we selected G17 for uniforms and G19 for agents and an illinformed contracting officer forced us to take M9's since they were already in the US inventory and tore up my purchase order. I chose a Browning Hi-Power for the last 13 years before I retired as a protest. Hi Power is a great gun. I was an exempt agent not 1811.

I've only been a Glock armorer for 10 years or so but I like the Gen 2's because IMHO they are nicer looking and a flashlight belongs in your non-gun hand and not stuck under your firearm....same goes for lasers. We've had this discussion before, but I would never put a 3.5 lb trigger on a defensive carry gun...GREAT on target guns though.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Well, my new production Gen 3 G19 was an utter failure. Weak ejection, brass to my hat and down my collar. All within the first 100 rounds. I knew going in that this might happen when I bought the pistol. Patiently waiting for Apex to get their new batch of extractors in so that I can order one.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem