Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthquakes

Default Earthquakes

Any advice? We don't get them here. None that anyone could notice anyway. I'm already thinking I should leave the china cabinet and the contents here with my daughter. Can't see paying to ship something we never use and then watching it all break.

Well, if you never use them, don't bring them. You can always ship them up later. Probably as much or more risk of breakage during shipping. Honestly not sure what else to say on the earthquake subject. Life's not without risks anywhere. Kind of seems akin to an Alaskan asking if he should not bother bringing sandals to Texas because y'all have snakes and we don't....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default Earthquakes

If a real earthquake hits you'll have bigger issues than broken china.

Most quakes are pretty small and result in little to no damage.

How often to the big ones hit? If I build a house to I need an engineer to sign off on it? Is there a special insurance rider for earthquakes or does a standard homeowners policy cover it?

You are really worrying about way to much..if you are concerned about your china..you need to settler down..lol.

I think you have some misconceptions on Alaska..but keep asking away and all the questions will get answered.

In regards to your move..i would consider the Valley or Eagle River. Small town atmosphere and if you really need something or have to go somewhere..ANC is right there.

I grew up in Texas, and will not leave AK...ever again!

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes View Post
    Any advice? We don't get them here. None that anyone could notice anyway. I'm already thinking I should leave the china cabinet and the contents here with my daughter. Can't see paying to ship something we never use and then watching it all break.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

A Tornado scares me WAY more than a Quake.
    And bears are way less scary than snakes.

If I where in your shoes, I'd fly up and spend a week or so checking out potential locations. Right now is the coldest, darkest time of year, and the best time IMO to see just what you're getting into. If you don't head home screaming "Ef THAT plan!", then start looking towards a good rental to let you kinda get the Lay of the Land before jumping into a purchase.

Just my unsolicited .02
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

How often to the big ones hit? If I build a house to I need an engineer to sign off on it? Is there a special insurance rider for earthquakes or does a standard homeowners policy cover it?
    Anyone who could answer your first question would be a very rich person.

If you build a house in LosAnchorage or within the city limits of Fairbanks and perhaps others, you will have building codes and permits to contend with just like most places in the L-48. If you build outside those cities it's pretty much a free for all, with the caveat that any financial loan institution will require your house to comply with national building codes; something to keep in mind if you ever intend to sell it to someone who will require financing.

Insurance here is no different than anywhere else. Their object is to take money from you and not ever give it back. Never assume you're covered for earthquakes, floods, or anything else. Read the fine print, with a lawyer. To answer your question in a word, "no".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Thanks again guys. I'm not worried I just don't want to be the idiot on the news who did everything wrong. I wish I could come up there now but I can't get away to the old farm in East Texas much less Alaska. Oh well, everyone who has lived there that knows me says I probably wouldn't come back if I visited.
    How the heck are bears less scary than snakes? Snakes might bite you but bears might EAT you!

Very good advice...either come up during the winter as he said..or wait until around July when the fishing is great and there are a ton of things to do and see..The summers are short, very nice and full of action, everyone runs around going 90mph to get everything accomplished in the 4 short months. In the winter..If you dont find things to do outside and stay busy..cabin fever will get cha..and from what I hear it aint nice...

or if you can afford to snowbird..that is always an option.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    A Tornado scares me WAY more than a Quake.
    And bears are way less scary than snakes.

If I where in your shoes, I'd fly up and spend a week or so checking out potential locations. Right now is the coldest, darkest time of year, and the best time IMO to see just what you're getting into. If you don't head home screaming "Ef THAT plan!", then start looking towards a good rental to let you kinda get the Lay of the Land before jumping into a purchase.

Just my unsolicited .02
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

How the heck are bears less scary than snakes? Snakes might bite you but bears might EAT you!
    Pretty hard to step on a bear.....not that it ain't been done, or so I hear..
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Anyone who could answer your first question would be a very rich person.

If you build a house in LosAnchorage or within the city limits of Fairbanks and perhaps others, you will have building codes and permits to contend with just like most places in the L-48. If you build outside those cities it's pretty much a free for all, with the caveat that any financial loan institution will require your house to comply with national building codes; something to keep in mind if you ever intend to sell it to someone who will require financing.

Insurance here is no different than anywhere else. Their object is to take money from you and not ever give it back. Never assume you're covered for earthquakes, floods, or anything else. Read the fine print, with a lawyer. To answer your question in a word, "no".
    . If there is bank money involved not only will they require you to build to code they may require you to hire an independent inspector to sign off as the project moves forward

You can see the bears coming. The nice part about Alaska is that anything that can potentially kill you, you can see coming.

How the heck are bears less scary than snakes?
    A more familiar comparison would be snakes vs. hogs. I'd take a hog over a snake any day!

With bears you don't have to worry about:

• where you sit because there might be a snake.
    • where you put your hand because there might be a snake.
    • how you lift that hay bale because there might be a snake.
    • inspecting the outhouse before you enter/sit because there might be a snake.
    • sweeping that tall grass with a stick before you wade through it to reach the irrigation gate because there might be a snake.
    • how you step over that log because there might be a snake.
    • picking up that chunk of firewood from the pile because there might be a snake.
    • pulling that weed or picking that vegetable from the garden because under it there might be a snake.

What a pain in the butt that lifestyle is!
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The nice part about Alaska is that anything that can potentially kill you, you can see coming.
    Except the mythical gubmn't boogie man, who comes in the black helicopter by dark of night, to oppress you. I hear tell you'll never see him coming. On the other hand, there are many Alaskans who only see him coming, and can't see anything else.

Oh, and maybe giardia.
    #Resist

Except the mythical gubmn't boogie man, who comes in the black helicopter by dark of night, to oppress you. I hear tell you'll never see him coming. On the other hand, there are many Alaskans who only see him coming, and can't see anything else.

Oh, and maybe giardia.
    oh boy here we go again... taiga did you forget to take you meds..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    taiga did you forget to take you meds..
    It's not bedtime yet.
    #Resist

are you serious?

2mins truth is bears are to be respected not feared they dont hide behind every tree and are not out to get you nor are they bulletproof or for that matter a mythical godlike creature....just a bear..that craziness is the stuff for books not reality.. are there exceptions...yes sir but that is what the respect is for and if that dont work a big chunk of lead(or metal of your choice) will suffice...they are truely enjoyable to watch...

A more familiar comparison would be snakes vs. hogs. I'd take a hog over a snake any day!

With bears you don't have to worry about:

• where you sit because there might be a snake.
    • where you put your hand because there might be a snake.
    • how you lift that hay bale because there might be a snake.
    • inspecting the outhouse before you enter/sit because there might be a snake.
    • sweeping that tall grass with a stick before you wade through it to reach the irrigation gate because there might be a snake.
    • how you step over that log because there might be a snake.
    • picking up that chunk of firewood from the pile because there might be a snake.
    • pulling that weed or picking that vegetable from the garden because under it there might be a snake.

What a pain in the butt that lifestyle is!
    I guess all that becomes second nature. Forgot to mention looking down before you step outside in case there's a snake on the porch. And potentially more hazardous than the snake itself, is someone who is jumpy climbing over you to get out of the barn because there's a snake!
    Alligators and hogs have the potential to be worse but like you said about the bears you can usually see them.
    Black helicopters?
    It's not like I'm some kind of tobacco chewing, camo wearing, secessionist with a dozen wives. I guess that would be self oppression. lol.

Anyway, thanks again for the earthquake info. Sounds like anywhere else. Build to code or better and let the chips fall where they may.
    We've already promised to visit some family in Denver next month so squeezing in another trip probably wont happen. Maybe should I try skiing nekked to get toughened up for the cold? Since I've never skied before it should be an experience!

We have earthquake insurance on our place, but it's an add-on and costs extra.

Where in East Texas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast