Thread: bait for Martin????

Default bait for Martin????

just wondering the different kinds of bait and scent people use for martin?

Im using magnum martin and sardines right now but going to switch my bait to beaver after i get one.

beaver and grouse or duck parts not the breast though
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

fish heads, beaver, grouse/ duck carcass minus the breasts are the prefered but I quit using bait and just use grouse/ duck wings with lure. Not a fan of magnum marten but it will work ok. Gusto and skunky backbreaker are two popular lures and I've used both but I make my own now because it's much cheaper and works just as good if not better.

mind sharing recipe tc? and are you ordering the gusto and bb? or does Al/Neil carry it?

its scary how fast the lure on your clothing can stink up your house!!!!

Real trappers wear it as cologne!!

the original thing i was using was small bait herring, i switched some traps to sardines since i haven't got anything better yet. GOT 2 Martin tonight!

super pumped and had a few sets they have coming in to but haven't been up the poles yet.

I have used two things: old beef from Fred Meyer and trolling herring, both of them covered in halibut nectar. I have gotten all my bait stolen and two ermine.

I switched over to magnum and frozen mice today, hopefully that works.

I used to hear F&G people wanted them live trapped for a study years ago and they were using strawberry jam for bait. I'm serious here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    I used to hear F&G people wanted them live trapped for a study years ago and they were using strawberry jam for bait. I'm serious here too.
    ^True story^ That article was featured on the Alaska Wildlife News a few years back.

I've found rotten duck and grouse carcasses to work quite well (favorite) followed closely by chicken heads. I used to use gusto, skunky backbreaker, and beaver castor for lure but found peppermint extract to work just as well. You can buy it at the grocery and mix it with melted petroleum jelly.

Default bait for Martin????

Use strawberry jam. Trust me. Give it a try

Pickup late run salmon, cut into steaks, put in a screen sandwich (keep the birds off), hang over the leaning pole set....

I'll add another vote for bird carcasses - duck, goose, and grouse are first choice. Im sure if you ask around some foulers wouldn't mind if you picked up their carcasses in the fall.

When that's all gone I fall back to left over herring and add a few drops of cod liver oil if it is cold and the herring are freezing. Mixing anis oil into the cod liver oil also helps get the scent out in the cold. The molecules are small and disperse well even when there is little to no breeze and even if it is frozen.

I think Marten are a very 'visual' animal. I think they like to see what is on the dinner plate as well as smell it. You cant go wrong with a grouse wing or duck wing flapping in the wind. I have used magnum marten and a few other attractants on some very good producing marten sets with no positive results. Tie a ptarmigan wing up and next check will have a marten. I rot everything down first to the point it **** near makes you puke when you smell it. Thats good bait and its easy. In the eyes of this 300 marten trap line runner the rest is snake oil....

if you take a frozen muskrat carcas and chop it up in quarters you can just nail it inside the box or pole and an earmin will have a lot harder time stealing it.

So the season ended in my unit. ended up with 4 marten, 2 ermine. had 17 traps out for 2 months. Learned a lot used 120's and planters.

1. Cut to big of holes in my plants so in wind storms my traps fell a lot.

Going to use some wood boxes and secure traps better.

2. In the warm weather some or most of my bait would fall out.

Going to try wrapping bait in screen door mess and tie wiring it in boxes

3. Learned a little about placement.

Moving some traps and turning my existing line into a loop.

4. Going to save all bird scraps and try to get a few beavers.

Had a lot of fun trapping and plan on getting a GOOD line set up!!! Thanks for all the help!!!!!