Thread: Yakutat Results

Default Yakutat Results

Steelhead fishing in Yakutat was great. Enjoy the Pictures. Some of what the Jedi Master was able to will on his line. Thanks to those that gave me advice.

TSS

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Awesome pics, and I am insanely jealous! Congratulations on a great trip!

looks like a few fresh fish are around, leaving monday!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Oh Man! Isn't that a bueatiful site! Great job! Thanks for the pics! I now hate you!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default AK steelhead

Great job we had a great trip as well there.
    I will post some more pics from the trip if you guys would like to see them.

looks like the jerry garcia glo bug was the ticket. i miss that place, and your pics aren't making it any easier to cope.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Props?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Oh Man! Isn't that a bueatiful site! Great job! Thanks for the pics! I now hate you!
    I will show you only love...

TSS

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have drooled all over my keyboard. Those are beautifull pictures, what a time it must have been. If you have more, share them. I hope you did not catch and release to many, as you know the mortality rate of realesed fish. Jokeing HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You are the man, and those are some great looking fish. FISH ON BUDDY.

Default Are you kidding me!!!!!!!

I now have a longer stay on the slope. Man you must have had a blast. Good work and keep on posting picts for us office workers. we need something to get us through the weeks.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I will show you only love...

TSS

XOXO!!

The insanity of waiting for the ice to go out!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have drooled all over my keyboard. Those are beautifull pictures, what a time it must have been. If you have more, share them. I hope you did not catch and release to many, as you know the mortality rate of realesed fish. Jokeing HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You are the man, and those are some great looking fish. FISH ON BUDDY.
    Yea I did my best to release them carefully...thanks for the shout out!

TSS

Totally awesome dude!!

Default I have yet to fish AK steelies

I catch plenty of michigan steel but yakatat and the karluk are my dream trips for fresh chrome. Maybe I will get to catch some real chrome some day. Great job.
    Bushwaker

Default I need a little info

To all of you who fish the situk,
    Is that river something that can be waded and camped on along the way? Have backback and waders will travel. Backpacking and wading Ak is nothing new to me but is the land private around the banks? I understand that a boat is the way to go but i wouldnt mind camping and wading between access points. Is this something that is feasible. Also when would be the earliest and latest time frame as to when to go?
    Thanks ,
    Bushwaker
    Feel free to PM me

Post Info on the Situk

Bushwalker,

Just got back from there yesterday. To answer your questions you first should get aquainted with the lay of the land. The river's primary access points are at "Nine-mile bridge" and the lower section near the mouth (I forget the road's name). Upstream from the bridge you can wade all you want, the water is typically shallow enough to traverse the river wherever, except for a few large holes. Down stream from the bridge for a few miles is easily wadable, however the river becomes increasingly deeper as you go and becomes unwadable so you will be stuck to the bank (or more likely the woods). It is all campable as well.

Keep in mind conditions (water level and weather) always change making the above advise subject to change. This year the snow pack is huge so snowshoes were used by many. I am aware of no privately held lands along the river but I am not a good source for that information (I would suggest calling Yakutat Lodge, talke to Ken Fanning, he will be able to tell you more than you need to know and should be more than willing to talk with you).

As to time frames: the earliest I would go is the third week in April, the latest (for steelhead) would be mid May.

Hope this helps.

Default Been Fishing Yakutat Fro 10 Years

I have beet fishing the Yakutat area for the last ten years. My advice
    for camping on the river is to rent a boat (jon boats work well in this river, a drift boat isnít necessary). Boats can be rented from Glacier Bear Lodge and Yakutat lodge. Fishing down from Nine Mile Bridge to the take out is 16 miles so itís a fair walk and might take 3-4 days due to the terrain. There are two public use cabins at mid river (Raven & Eagle Cabin) reservations can be made through reservations.com, they sleep 4 and have oil stove/heater. There is also an airstrip between the cabins. Bears can be an issue and I recommend at least pepper spray (available at the Ace Hardware store in Yak) or a 12 gauge. If your going for Steelhead early to mid May is best, if salmon is your target mid June is always great (easy 100 fish days for Sockeye). I also advise at the very least one guided day on the river, float down from the bridge to the take out to get to know the river. Contact Ron DeNardi @ 1-907-784-3301 he is one of the best guides in the business and will also show you the methods that work in this river.

So if itís Steelhead, 20-30 fish/day is not unusual (listen to the guide, he knows what works):

If itís Salmon, 100 fish days are doable:

Tight Lines