Thread: leverevolution powder

Default leverevolution powder

hodgedon powder is now producing leverevolution powder to be used to reload hornady's immensly popular leverevolution line of ammunition. along with the new hornady manual, bullets, and cases can now be purchased for the reloader. i have been using these products for about 3 years now and am sold on the factory ammunition. shooting my .35 rem with this ammo, i took three elk with three shots.
    this last year using reloaded cases in .338 marlin, two more elk with two shots.

testing ammunition over my crono they come in under posted factory velocities, but are far superior to standard loads. the excellent flex tip hornady bullets in either lead or mono core are very accurate, and provide a level of b.c. never before found in a traditional levergun.

i am sold on this combination, and offer my testimony as to the results.
    happy trails.
    jh

I bought a pound of it and am planning on trying it for my 338 federal. Hoping to get 2550 fps with the Nosler 210 gr. partition.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    I bought a pound of it and am planning on trying it for my 338 federal. Hoping to get 2550 fps with the Nosler 210 gr. partition.
    that sounds doable, and it should be about right for moose & bear.
    happy trails.
    jh

Eastwoods,

I'll look forward to your test results. I'm looking for a good load for my .338 Fed Tikka.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Leverevolution has been great in my Tikka 338 federal, 2550fps with Swift SciroccoII. Another powder I've had success with is IMR 8208xbr and 185gr Barnes ttsx around 2700fps, both loads verified over chrony. To get 2550 with 210gr bullets is going to take a max load in my experience.

I've thought about trying the 185gr Barnes figuring it would be pretty nice load for elk and shoot flatter than the 210gr. partition. Never used 8208xbr but it would be worth a some effort it it's working in your Tikka. WHat kind of accuracy are you getting?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I get around an inch. The trouble is you don't have many options with seating depth on a Tikka because of the magazine. I've heard you can get the 30-06 length mag and a new bolt stop which would allow you to seat them out further. But I figure a 338 Federal is a 350 yard gun in good conditions so under a inch at a hundred yards ain't to shabby. Hodgdon lists 47gr IMR 8208xbr as max its compressed so as always work up slowly.

I have a .243AI Tikka and have done that, using parts from another gun, a .30-06. I can seat the 105 gr bullets way out with the bullet just off the lands and they shoot great. I mean to get the parts to do the same for the .338 Fed but haven't gotten to it yet. The few rounds I have shot from the .338 Fed I get right around an inch or a little more. I have a 2-7x Leupold on it so I'm happy with that but I'm sure it will shoot better once I find the right load. Good luck on yours!!