Thread: Spinning Rod / Reel Combo

Default Spinning Rod / Reel Combo

Friends,
    I've been asked to do some research for my mother-in-law for Christmas. She would like to replace my F-I-L's old ugly stick spinning rod and outdated reel for something sweeter. I suspect this new rod/reel will be his new "go to" silver rod, possibly some reds too. This will mean casting hardware, jigs, flies with weight on top, and possibly some float fishing. For the reel, he prefers mono/fluoro to braids, although spoons braids occasionally. We do most of our fishing from shore, rarely a drift boat.

I've been out of the loop on salmon spinning gear since '06 -- I'm readying myself to recommend to Mother-in-Law a Stradic FJ 4000 with St Croix Avid 8'6" MH rod, but thought to check with you all first to see if there are other options...

Anyone with an opinion on something better

Thanks in advance

I don't use spinners much but I used a friends rod that was a Wright and McGill (S curve spinning) 10ft rod with the new cork handle designs. Man I could cast that thing forever and it worked well on silvers. I realize off a bank is hard with a 10ft rod but maybe they have 9 ft's????? And they wont brake the bank either. They also have decent warranties on their rods.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I don't use spinners much but I used a friends rod that was a Wright and McGill (S curve spinning) 10ft rod with the new cork handle designs. Man I could cast that thing forever and it worked well on silvers. I realize off a bank is hard with a 10ft rod but maybe they have 9 ft's????? And they wont brake the bank either. They also have decent warranties on their rods.
    Thanks Kenaibow! I'll check 'em out today.