Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adak worth going in december

Default Adak worth going in december

We are going to Adak on the 13th and was woundering if the bulls would still have there horns or would they have dropped them by now this is my first caribou hunt and understand there might be big boys but don't plan on finding them I just want a good looking shoulder mount size and meat but was told they probably have dropped there horns by now any info would've great thanks

Adak in December? Better plan on extra everything for possible getting stuck there for weeks.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

4 guys from town got back last week, 2 were there a week 2 for 10 days and they harvested 1 caribou. Hope for some cold temps and snow out there.

Hmm sounds like its going to be a blast lol besides the weather and getting stuck when do they drop there horned

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    4 guys from town got back last week, 2 were there a week 2 for 10 days and they harvested 1 caribou. Hope for some cold temps and snow out there.
    How is that even possible all I hear is there are thousands of bous out there a it's easy picking are people just holding out for the monster or are there just no bous in that part of the island were going to rent a couple wheelers and the cold and wind doesn't bother me much I work on the slope out side all winter so cold snow blow weather sucks but I can deal with it looked up the temp looks like 40 degrease when we get there how often does the plane get delayed

Quote Originally Posted by ak450 View Post
    How is that even possible all I hear is there are thousands of bous out there a it's easy picking are people just holding out for the monster or are there just no bous in that part of the island were going to rent a couple wheelers and the cold and wind doesn't bother me much I work on the slope out side all winter so cold snow blow weather sucks but I can deal with it looked up the temp looks like 40 degrease when we get there how often does the plane get delayed
    Because the north slope is so much like Florida ... that direct comparison of the North Slope to Adak is similarly realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Because the north slope is so much like Florida ... that direct comparison of the North Slope to Adak is similarly realistic.

I was just saying that yes the cold wind blowing sucks but I can deal with it the hole deal behind this hunt is its all free buddy is getting sent over for work the flight house car it's all coverd I used airline miles so only thig out of pocket is wheeler rental just wanted to know if people are doing any good over there and if the bulls will still have there horns I have 4 days of strait hunting on a wheeler to see if I could pull a caribou out of there looking for any helpful info on we're to go what to do not the it sucks don't go I can't pass up the chance just looking for help befor I dive head first

Becasue there are not "thousands pf bou" out there, unless you count less than 3,000 as "thousands". Technically you are rigjht but its not like the thousands in the northeern herds. I guy I know came back from their annual trip to Adak with 7 hunters and harvest 0 caribou. It depends on where they are. Also there was a "transporter" there a couple years ago that brought a whole lot of people out there and took every big bull they could find. It is still hard to find a bull like you are looking for. Although I do not have the statistics for flight delays in December, it is something you have to plan for.
    Caribou travel though out the island and there is no telling where they will be. If they are on the other end of the island, a wheeler won't get you there. If they are close to town and the old base, then looking for that big bull still having horns is the challenge. Be prepared for constant high winds. The forecast for the week end is 37 to 45 mph winds. I'm not telling you not to go, just go with realistic expectations. Here is some good information: http://alaskamaritime.fws.gov/visito...nting/adak.htm

I was just saying that yes the cold wind blowing sucks but I can deal with it the hole deal behind this hunt is its all free buddy is getting sent over for work the flight house car it's all coverd I used airline miles so only thig out of pocket is wheeler rental just wanted to know if people are doing any good over there and if the bulls will still have there horns I have 4 days of strait hunting on a wheeler to see if I could pull a caribou out of there looking for any helpful info on we're to go what to do not the it sucks don't go I can't pass up the chance just looking for help befor I dive head first
    Sorry you took it that way. More or less replied that way as I could understand another hunters apparent lack of success.

When I was there, travel across the lands may have been more restrictive. It wasn't a drive the back country roads and shoot them from the corn patch kind of a hunt. Check out the episodes from Alaska Outdoors or Mr. Wadell's hunting show. The daily weather can wear on a person, but you're spirits would likely be higher with a short trip. Daily weather usually involves mist or rain accompanied by low cloud cover that is more like a ground fog. The winter storms can be downright nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Sorry you took it that way. More or less replied that way as I could understand another hunters apparent lack of success.

When I was there, travel across the lands may have been more restrictive. It wasn't a drive the back country roads and shoot them from the corn patch kind of a hunt. Check out the episodes from Alaska Outdoors or Mr. Wadell's hunting show. The daily weather can wear on a person, but you're spirits would likely be higher with a short trip. Daily weather usually involves mist or rain accompanied by low cloud cover that is more like a ground fog. The winter storms can be downright nasty.
    im mainly going for any bull i don't care if its tiny I just want to scout the land hunt and back a animal so size isn't going to bother me just want to get out and try to kill somthing heard there closer to town in winter months but havnt figured out if they have dropped there horns yet

Ive hunted the last three years out there. Every time in October or November. They still had their horns. The hunting has gotten progressively harder. In 2010 Alaska Magazine published an article on hunting Adak. Since then the caribou have been later and later coming in towards town. If I was you, I would take a pack board and plan on hiking towards the south side for at least three to five miles to be successful. This year we didn't see anything from the wheelers and the fish and wildlife have closed mt reed to wheelers. Two guys in another party hiked in five miles, shot seven bou, slept all night with the quarters, and packed them all out. If you do not have a plan for the eagles, you will lose all your meat. If you leave meat to make two trips, they will eat everything in a matter of minutes and you will return to freshly cleaned bones. If you're not a meat hunter, go with the intention of enjoying the remoteness and history of the location. You WILL NOT see any decent sized bulls. In fact I'd bet you won't even see caribou. We aren't going back to hunt again. Too many people, not enough caribou. And no matter how much cold you think you can stand, Adak will test that to the limit. It's easier to stay warm in 50mph wind and snow than the same with driving rain. Bring a book and lots of rum.

The majority of the bulls have probably dropped their antlers by now, but you never know.

As mentioned the trophy quality was destroyed about 10 to 12 years ago. the genetics are probably still there, but they don't get a chance to grow up now. The herd is three times more than when I lived there, but they still respond to pressure and the field conditions. If there is no reason to head north then they won't.

The ATV will not get you to where you may need to go. It can only be used on the privately owned native corporation land near town. The majority of the caribou will still be on the southern side of the island on the refuge lands. You can head into the area south of Shagak Bay and will more than likely see something. That is where the majority of the Bone Collector show was filmed last year. They ended up walking into Constantine Harbor/bay from what I could tell on the show. They did take a nice bull with archery gear, so there are big bulls out there. Just not the huge monsters of the 1980's. The reason they headed that way on ATV's was due to the WWII jeep trail that was dug into the tundra in places. Its a good starting point, and think of it like the BLM trails in the Tangle Lakes area. Great for access but most your hunting will be done on foot.

The biggest issue this time of year will be the weather. White outs and such that might last a day or two. Unless you are very familiar with the lay of the land it can be extremely difficult to get back to the road without a good gps. Back in my childhood GPS did not exist so we had to know how to read a map out there. Still got lost a few times in the fog thanks to friends that "knew where they were going."

Make sure you have everything in your pack to spend the night out on the tundra - shelter from the wind and rain/snow and some way to stay warm. The one thing you will not need is a fire starter kit - unless you are planning on over nighting on a beach. Not much wood on the Shagak Bay beaches since it gets stuck on the outer barrier bars/beaches.

What I was getting at with the cold and snow was this. I was out there a couple years ago in Nov and for the first 3 days there was snow on the ground maybe 6-8 inches temps in the low 30's. We harvested 6 animals in those 3 days, then the weather warmed up into the high 40's and it rained all day the 4th day. All the snow left and the animals way headed back into the hills. Didn't harvest anything the rest of the trip.

if the trips free, don't sweat it...just show up with all the gear to surivive on your own in a enviroment that hates you and a caribou will be a bonus....you'll learn alot, have an adventure. then come back and tell us all what adak is like in dec, because i get the feeling most of us won't be going there that time of year!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

When sitting in the lounge reading old magazines that have great stories about awesome hunting it is a good idea to see what year they came out.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ....you'll learn alot, have an adventure. then come back and tell us all what adak is like in dec, because i get the feeling most of us won't be going there that time of year!
    Been there, done that, and lost the T-shirt.

In 1981 my Dad sent down stacks of photos of the fall and winter. Brown grass with white birds. Eagles everywhere. Dollies by the bucket. "The snow only lasts about three days before its melts" he forgot to finish that with "by the wind driven rain."

By March of 83 we had over 110 inches of mixed snow and ice on the ground. So much for melting in the wind driven rain.

If anyone has ever spent winter time on the west side of Kodiak it can be similar. Just no trees or brush to hide out from the wind in. Not even tall grass in most spots. Just moss and rocks.

Oh yeah ak450, keep an eye out for some skeletal remains. There are still a couple of military dudes from the 1970's that were never found after going hiking. These days you never know what will pop out of a creek.

I went there two years ago in late december through the new year. We got 21 caribou between 9 people. It was easy pickins', all had horns, and the weather was beautiful for the whole week.

Maybe i'm just lucky...

course they had horns, only antlers fall off....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I thought the whole idea of going to ADAK was for monster bou/reindeer? Why spend all that $$ for meat? Hit the Haul road!

I spent $250 for a week..

Would have cost a lot more for me to go to Haul road...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast