Thread: First time predator calling, other than wolves!

Default First time predator calling, other than wolves!

I'm thinking about predator calling tomorrow. Probably headed south, unless I hear differently. Anyway, I'm from southeast and I've killed my fair share of wolves, (trapping and calling), but I have never tried calling up here for lynx fox or coyote. I need something to do in the outdoors, usually I'm hunting deer and trapping in southeast so I'm going insane not doing anything.

So should I Try going north out of anchorage or south?

What sounds should I play off my ecaller.? And any other need to know things

If anyone wants to give me any hints or advice I'd really appreciate it, but if none given, I understand completely!

Thanks guys

Use snowshoe hare in distress calls to start with. There are others that work, but a hare in distress call is the bread and butter of calling in this area. As for north vs. south, both have potential. Apparently the Kenai Peninsula lynx population is quite high right now, but I'm not sure if that is true region-wide. You should be able to find critters in either direction. Look for sign, find a good location to set up, and give it a whirl - you never know where/when a predator may show up.

Awesome! Thanks a lot Brian!

I was talking to a fellow forum member at sportsmans yesterday and he was aaying that the kenai peninsula was having decent numbers of lynx showing up as well. I was gonna try near cooper landing......do you have any advice as to a good place to look or start near other than cooper landing?

Thanks for all your input!

I have had great success with the jackrabbit as well...good luck and post some pics is you do well.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I don't think Lynx is open on the Kenai yet...
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Oh, under the hunting regs it is, sorry.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Sweet thanks for your guys advice and thanks a lot for sharing out for me riverboater!

My little boy got sick so I decided to delay my trip, hopefully going this weekend after the new snow fall!

Hopefully I'll have a good story to share!

I used distressed rabbits in kodiak. Any one of them will work, snowshoe, cottontail etc.. Baybee cottontail would bring them up close if the stayed too far away.

What did you use to call wolves in the southeast. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

We had a wildlife technologies ecaller.

We used it when we knew there were wolf in the area, so we would use a lone wolf howl, or an alpha howl, to get started, line wolf works good because wolves know when there are other wolves around usually, so if they hear a howl then they will come to see why another wolf is near there territory.

Any sound that has wolves howling works.

But if you wanted to mix things up, use a feeding or kill wolf sound, then mix some ravens feeding frenzy in between howls and wolf sounds that have to do with feeding.

And regular predator calls work as well, like the rabbit calls or blue jay calls. Blue jays follow the wolves in southeast around and scavenge off their kills. So blue jay calls work with a mix of other howling wolves.

Where will you be trying to call them?

More than likely up thorne arm or carroll inlet. A lot of activity.
    This single come through every few days. Has a well defined trail.

Attachment 66264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1086.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	66267

I've got this waiting for him:
    Attachment 66265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1091.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	66266

Two traps with some stanky deer under the log.

I hear this is the same area a pack of six were roaming during the summer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1086.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	66267

On prince of wales? Are you new to the island?

That bet set is very nicely done. However with too much snow the traps could not set off, but if your on the Islam you should be fine, and that will definitely catch!

If you are on the island than yes your right and there is a pack of 6 for sure running that area, it'll be two mature and 4 pups, pups will be 60-75 lbs now though, if you look at my posts you'll see a pup I shot a few weeks ago on federal land down on POW. He was about 80lbs.

I'll give you a lot more info on some wolves if you are on the island. And possibly hook you up with some relatives that would love for you to join them on trapping, and would most likely lens you some traps. We don't like to snare to much because of the deer kill that snares produce.

Anyway let me know ASAP!

I'm on Revilla island (I live just south of Saxman). Snow shouldn't be a problem, that is a tidepool set. There is 8 plus inches of snow on the land around it though. Ice will be another story though..

Oh sweet! Someone that is actually going to trap the **** things off Ketchikan!

On that set, is there consistent water flow, doesn't need to be much, but it's good to have some sort of water flow, even as much as 5 inches of water is fine. Stack you bait pile, dig 3-4 holes for your traps in the small gravel under the water, put some moss between you pan and the base of the trap so it's a little more supportive and the weight of the gravel doesn't set it off, lay you trap in the hole under the water, cover the trap with a piece of wax paper and then cover the wax paper with small gravel from the creek until you can't see the wax paper. Usually set 3 or 4. Then set a few snares on the trails leading to the bet set that should be just inside te tree line.

I should be able to get back out there this weekend. I'm hesitant to put anymore out, my boat was flipped so I am dealing with getting that fixed right now.

The set is at the mouth of a river. As you can see the water doesn't always flow over the log, but it gets submerged up to 3feet when the tide goes up.

There are actually at least three other trappers I know of on the southside targeting wolves. One kid did pretty well last year. I guess the wolves have been moving further down carroll, thorne arm, and george inlet. I hear Clevland peninsula has quite a few moving in too.

Yeah Cleveland has a bunch, at least 8 from what I've heard. That's awesome to hear that some of you guys are doing something about them. Them and snow dwindled your deer population way too much, and Metlakatla as well, causing more hunting pressure on Prince of Wales. And a lot more dumb ass spot lighters from off and on the island. It's too bad your not on the island, I could hook you up with some really great trappers that are family and very close friends. My dad would even lend you traps and snares if your intentions were wolves. There's way too many and a lot more than the wildlife biologist believes there are on the island, however he is from Ketchikan and knows nothing. Infact he claims that there are only 14 wolves on the north side of prince of wales, from klawock up. I was just there and I can't show you pics of tracks in the snow and game camera pics of more than 15 and that's in a small area of the north end. He also claims that wolves will not swim from island to island. The one I shot was on a small island off POW. So just a heads up, make sure that you are completely legal with everything and if you accidentally catch a deer in a snare that you report it because he will try to get you for anything.

On a side note. What happened to your boat?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355268154.359490.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	66294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355268174.504350.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	66295

There's 3 of them, and there is also 2 more in that pack, there was six, but I shot one of them

The boat.. Well, we unload and I anchored it a little bit offshore. I came back and it was upside down.

I think the front end got caught on a rock and the back end swamped as the tide went down in turn flipping it over. That or Samsquatch didn't like me in his neck of the woods.

I did well on deer this year. A buddy and I got three in a couple hours a couple inlets down.

The tracks of the wolf I'm targeting seem to follow deer tracks. I'm sure he has got one or two by now.

Yeah that's not good, if you read up about the wolf, it'll tell you they kill an average of 25-35 deer a year per wolf! It's also been proven that they can kill as many as 50+ per wolf. The average seems to be about 35 - 40 if you read through enough articles. I hope you smack them dead! If you can get your hands on a few beaver carcasses it would be great, those dogs cannot resist beaver. I promise.