Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep Shape 2013

Default Sheep Shape 2013

Figured we might as well do this again! So what is everyone doing to get ready for next season?

Getting Fat...

I am with J - - but I am going to have to do something this year. I am going to do a walk in hunt somewhere, whether it be an archery tag hunt in the chugachs or a bow/rifle walk in off the haul road - I am going to be after one!

Doing P90X now. P90X 2 after the holidays, Insanity leading up to sheep season. With the usual hiking with a weighted pack thrown in.

Default Sheep Shape 2013

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Getting Fat...
    That was my old plan! I would put on 30 lbs over winter then drop it come summer. Eventually I started only dropping 15 over summer and still gaining the 30.... Only took a few years before I stepped on the scale at 297lbs!!

I am on the cusp of breaking back into the 260's now working a 3-1 gym rotation and hope to see the 220's by hunting season. Living super low carb and doing weight training and cardio. The Summit trainer at the gym is fast becoming my favorite torture device! Started at 10 minutes "hill routine" on setting 10 and up to 25 on setting 18 in just 3 weeks. Hoping to be up to 45 minutes on setting 20 in a month. The machine is essentially an inclined elliptical trainer with an upward step. It's fake distance but the machine calculates vertical feet for the workout which adds a lot of incentive for me! Mentally gratifying to visualize a sheep at the 3000 foot mark and strive to hit that mark during your workout. I do also walk 2-3 miles a day getting to and from work 7 days a week.

Sure would be cool to drop a heavy packs worth of weight before I hit the mountains again! (Also be nice to not have my gut hang over my pack belt for a change!)

Since I was diagnosed with cancer I decided to do a diet change in order to try to help it. I am sure it will assist me in loosing weight and fight cancer. I am going to try to attach my research so far. What I did was to research the good foods and the bad foods. This is what I have so far.
    Nuts
    Walnuts
    Brazil Nuts*
    Sun Flower
    Soy
    Almonds

Fruits
    Grapes
    Grapefruit
    Watermelon
    Figs
    Apples
    Black Raspberries
    Banana’s
    Cherries
    Cranberries
    Blueberries
    Vegetables
    Sweet Potatoes
    Broccoli
    Tomatoes**
    Garlic
    Scallions
    Spinach
    Mushrooms
    (Maitake, ****ak, reishi)
    Beans
    Brussels Sprouts
    Red Peppers
    Kale
    Horseradish
    Shallots / onions
    Vegetables
    Rhubarb
    Onions
    Grains
    Oat Meal
    Whole Grains
    Brown Rice
    Wild Rice
    Meats
    Salmon*
    Turkey, white
    Chicken, white
    Cod
    Tuna
    Shrimp
    Red Snapper
    Lobster
    Beverages
    Green Tea*
    Blueberry
    Pomegranate
    Grapefruit
    Orange
    Raspberry
    Cranberry
    Almond milk
    Soy milk
    Red wine

Others
    Tapioca Pudding
    Smoothies (no milk)
    Almond Butter
    Popcorn
    Use
    Olive Oil*
    Ginger
    Turmeric
    Cayenne Pepper
    Cinnamon
    Oregano
    Limit
    White Rice
    Eggs
    Pork
    Lamb
    Alcohol
    Coffee
    Avoid
    Dairy
    Canola
    Soy Oil
    Corn Oil
    Red Meat

*Stronglysuggested
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-06-2012 at 05:52. Reason: Updated

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Mornings I do 20 minutes on the eliptical. Lunch three days a week I'm lifting in the gym at work. Evenings are 20 minutes walking steep incline on the treadmill. I'm hoping to pick up a nordic track skier this weekend. Best shape I've been in since HS was when I was working out religiously on the ski machine. Every little bit helps. Take the stairs instead of elevators. Walk the golf course instead of ride.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Thanks for posting the diet plan, Dave.

Most eat absolute garbage and wonder why they feel like crap or why they are so overweight.
    A peek into the average grocery cart will blow one's mind.

I'm going to print a copy of that and try to include it in our daily diet, sheep notwithstanding.
    Proud to be an American!

A group of us have started the Spartan workout. I can't commit everyday as I run my trapline a couple days out of the week. We are definitely seeing results with a nice mix of exercise.

It's been too cold to ski much so I'm running in a bigger way this year so far- a couple of charity 5k races this fall while on vacation. Routinely 5mi x 4 days a wk so far. I want to run a sprint triathlon this year so the bike and swimming are next on the list....bike is no problem but the swimming is going to kick my butt.

Also started fencing classes with my son- it's a better work out than I thought it would be.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I try to stay in the mountains as much as possible in the winter. I prefer skiing, but absent that I've been doing a bit of hiking/climbing. This was the view from the top of Baldy on Saturday. It was blowing a consistent 40 up the face with gusts of at least 75+ on top, but still, it wasn't a bad day to be in the mountains.

Skiing, and buying an elliptical machine for when it's too cold to skate ski.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That was my old plan! I would put on 30 lbs over winter then drop it come summer. Eventually I started only dropping 15 over summer and still gaining the 30.... Only took a few years before I stepped on the scale at 297lbs!!
    Funny how that works out I have noticed too how as the years go by the woes of winter take a little longer to go away.. I used to ask the guides in camp what they did for their workouts and the standard answer was "the first sheephunt of the year gets you in shape".. for a long time that was my routine but since my realitvely recent quitting of smoking I have noticed a new side effect....30 extra lbs... so this year I will be actively joining in on the "sheep shape"

Lujon good job on dropping the weight that is quite an accomplishment...

I started eating a light breakfast, instead of no breakfast, a light lunch, and a lighter dinner, nuts for snacks in the mid morning and mid afternoon, walk a mile with the dog in the morning, then on the elliptical for 15 minutes, soon to become 20 then 25 minutes on level 5 resistance. Blood pressure is coming down and down 25 lbs so far from 265. Takes constant thinking of not just picking up something to eat and not consider the outcome. I hope to book a sheep hunt next fall. Goal is 210 lbs or lower, I am 6 feet tall.

Awesome! I was just looking over last year's Sheep Shape discussion. I have never been sheep hunting, but today I put in for two tags and I am bound and determined to learn everything I can about it this winter. I just finished Tony Russ Sheep Hunting in Alaska. I am also putting together a workout opportunity for some guys at my church in Fairbanks that want to get together a few times a week to do everything from P90X to playing basketball to stay off our butts and gain some fitness.

I will also be PMing a few guys that have (in my opinion) built a sheep hunting reputation from what I have read here on the forum. So, I suppose you could take it as a compliment if I contact you.

Before the doctor cut off my workouts. I was doing 1 hour on the treadmill and doing the weight machines for half to an hour. My tread mill at home only goes to ten degrees. So I have a 2" x 4" under the front legs. I also used to throw the pack on with weights in it and walk down to a friends place that goes up a 10 degree slope, switchback. I took an archery target up there so once over there I could shoot up hill and down hill for practice. It was about 2 1/4 miles round trip. The pack helps a lot. Kind of like breaking in a pack horse. AND WEAR the darn boots that you plan on hunting with.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The pack helps a lot. Kind of like breaking in a pack horse. AND WEAR the darn boots that you plan on hunting with.
    I will echo what Mr Dave said add to train wearing as much of your gear as possible. Builds muscle memory and helps find any problems before they manifest miles into your hunt. My personal rule is no new gear on a sheep hunt. I broke that rule last year and I'm still trying to regrow the toenails back on both feet as a reminder.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'm doing this for the second time this year. Feels good to get back in the gym and lift heavy things.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris...y-trainer.html

Doing the gym thing, 3 cardio days (60 mins) and 3 weight days per week. When I miss some time and want to get the heart rate up, I do the 5-50 Plan. It is 50 each of Prisoner Squats (to 90 degrees or past); Push-Ups; Mountain Climbers; Jumping Jacks; and Crunches. You can do them in any order and as many reps and sets as you need to do all 5 @ 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Funny how that works out I have noticed too how as the years go by the woes of winter take a little longer to go away.. I used to ask the guides in camp what they did for their workouts and the standard answer was "the first sheephunt of the year gets you in shape".. for a long time that was my routine but since my realitvely recent quitting of smoking I have noticed a new side effect....30 extra lbs... so this year I will be actively joining in on the "sheep shape"
    REALLY glad you quit smoking bud. It's a GREAT thing to do for yourself...Congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast