Thread: Taenia krabbei

Default Taenia krabbei

Muscle tapeworm cysts. Anyone else harvest a moose or anything with a high concentration of these this year? Picked up two moose over thanksgiving and one was loaded with them. Almost every steak I cut had one not to mention the rest headed for the grinder. The other moose I ran into only a handful.

mod,

Most every moose I've taken here has them, but usually not the levels shown in this pic from the ADFG site:

The younger moose don't have them as much as the older guys, was the one with only a handful quite a bit younger?. Can look ugly, but at least they aren't harmful to humans.

Yeah it's not unusual to see them but fortunately we haven't run across one this infested in quite a while. It was an interesting comparison. I wish I had paid more attention to finding out their age. The more infected one could have been older. I am only guessing this because it had many battle wounds. For example one of it's ribs had been broken in two places. The racks were almost equal in size so that was no help to me in aging them. I didn't pay attention to their teeth as I forgot the darn tongues Anyways it won't stop us from enjoying some delicious wild game

On a side note, does anyone else stop to smell the meat from time to time while they butcher? Maybe I'm weird but that smell is one of the best out there.

Supporting Member broncoformudv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Maybe I'm weird but that smell is one of the best out there.
    Even thought I do stop and smell the meat or products I am making with it from time to time I am still going to vote that you are weird.

Yeah it's not unusual to see them but fortunately we haven't run across one this infested in quite a while. It was an interesting comparison. I wish I had paid more attention to finding out their age. The more infected one could have been older. I am only guessing this because it had many battle wounds. For example one of it's ribs had been broken in two places. The racks were almost equal in size so that was no help to me in aging them. I didn't pay attention to their teeth as I forgot the darn tongues Anyways it won't stop us from enjoying some delicious wild game

On a side note, does anyone else stop to smell the meat from time to time while they butcher? Maybe I'm weird but that smell is one of the best out there.
    these infected parts are the parts that you give your buddies when they bug the hell out of you for moose meat...its a win..win..

Muscle tapeworm cysts. Anyone else harvest a moose or anything with a high concentration of these this year? Picked up two moose over thanksgiving and one was loaded with them. Almost every steak I cut had one not to mention the rest headed for the grinder. The other moose I ran into only a handful.
    I have never seen these worms in Moose before but I mostly hunt in Unit 7,14,15,13 and sometimes in 20A just courious where did you shoot the moose and were they cows or bulls?

smelled a lot of whitetail deer in my day and this past spring my first black bear. I was amazed that the bear was absent of odor and hands were grease free.

I noticed it this year for the first time in the bull that I harvested. Not that there werent any in previous moose, but this years had enough that I couldnt help but notice them.

I went out of my way not to show them to my wife while processing...what she doesnt know is just better all around...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Moose30 View Post
    I have never seen these worms in Moose before but I mostly hunt in Unit 7,14,15,13 and sometimes in 20A just courious where did you shoot the moose and were they cows or bulls?
    Bulls in 20A.

See them sometimes. Haven't seen any in the past few years moose though.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

Can look ugly, but at least they aren't harmful to humans.
    Agree with BR, most ungulates in Alaska have them. Bad idea to feed raw game meat scraps to dogs.
    However, while eating the meat won't hurt you, if your dog has taenia tape worms and you play kissy face with your dog after he licks his rear..........you can get cysts in YOU and if one settles in your brain, it can kill you........or so ADF&G bio said to me once!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Taenia krabbei

I had one with in 20D. And I love to smell the meat while butchering, it's hard for me to resist fresh Sashimi!