Thread: Gravity Fed Hot Water

Default Gravity Fed Hot Water

I know a lot of you have a simple gravity fed water system, and that seems pretty easy to set up, but I'm looking into trying to set up a quick/easy system for running hot water in my remote cabin in Southeast AK without any electrical usage. I was thinking I could put a 20 gallon water tank upstairs, pipe it downstairs and outside with pex tubing, then use a Camp Chef Triton portable on demand system to heat that incoming water, then run the hose inside to the sink. The problem seems to be I might not get enough water pressure running into the Triton unit. Have any of you had any experience with this type system? It sounds like I might have to buy a flojet water pump so I can have enough pressure for the intake. Thanks for the help - I only get out there for maybe one week per year.

With out any electrical use?

You are going to need to add a air tank, air regulator and a hand air pump. Fill the air tank with 80# of air, the air will push the water to your sink. I almost forgot you will need a match to light the Camp Chef Triton portable water heater.

Personally, I would just heat up a pot of water.

I've been looking at a Marey 5L tankless water heater. It might be what you are looking for.

Default Gravity Fed Hot Water

Would and on-demand hot water heater work? I guess the limiting factor will be how much water pressure you can get given how much head you have from elevation. You should be able to find a online calculator to figure out you psi from gravity head.

You will need pressure for a on demand type system. The best would be a 12 volt battery and a R/V water pump.It will take 25psi to operate.

I may be wrong, but I think you get about a pound of pressure for every 2 feet in elevation, something like that; not enough to run tankless heaters or washing machines if the water tank is just a few feet higher.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg