Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tactical"

Default "Tactical"

So glad we don't have gobbs of threads on "tactical" guns on this site (like there is on THR for instance). I do not understand the preoccupation with putting an AR style stock on a 10/22 for instance, hanging a knife off the end, and calling it tactical. Is it a "wanna-be" fixation for the never-were? I must admit, however, sometimes it is a little entertaining to laugh at how much stuff they can hang off their rails, but mostly it is just annoying.
    Tactical-schmactical.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I do not understand the preoccupation with putting an AR style stock on a 10/22 for instance, hanging a knife off the end, and calling it tactical. Is it a "wanna-be" fixation for the never-were?
    That's in case Zombies invade the mall while they're on duty...

I mean without that bayonet the Walter Mitty Rapid Reaction Center might be overun with hordes of the brain munching undead and THEN who would repopulate the earth?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

When I sit aside a campfire and clean an old blued rifle from the 60's, it reminds me of a time of traditions, of a time gone to the wayside. Every little scratch, every little dent, I remembered the hunts they came from.

When I sat for 3 yrs and 2 months (combined time) of my life in Iraq cleaning cleaning AK-47's, M-4's, 240's, S.A.W's, the stench of CLP all over my hands, trying to make sense of those around me who lost their lives, I never wanted to touch a rifle like that again.

So glad we don't have gobbs of threads on "tactical" guns on this site (like there is on THR for instance). I do not understand the preoccupation with putting an AR style stock on a 10/22 for instance, hanging a knife off the end, and calling it tactical. Is it a "wanna-be" fixation for the never-were? I must admit, however, sometimes it is a little entertaining to laugh at how much stuff they can hang off their rails, but mostly it is just annoying.
    Tactical-schmactical.
    Sayak:
    I too get tired of companies trying to 'tacticalize' everything- but they are just appeasing customer base. It seems if you can't sell something...just paint it and call it tactical and it becomes a hit. That said- I have some AR's and an AK and I like them for what they are. They do not give me any 'warm fuzzies' like a beautifully grained wooden stocked rifle, and they don't have the feel of any of the lever's I have either.

I know that 'tactical' is the fairly recent buzz word, but Henry's were the craze of tactical application in the day as well! "Load on Sunday and shoot all week long" (or something close) was the saying back then. I have to say that the new lever rifle (not bashing brands) with adjustable stock and quad rail is the ugliest rifle I have ever seen and no matter how practical it is, I just couldn't bring myself to own one!
    BEE

So glad we don't have gobbs of threads on "tactical" guns on this site (like there is on THR for instance).[....]
    I agree. But the irony is that you just added another one.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default "Tactical"

The tacticool lever gun would rock from a practical stance for a family like mine. I'm 6'5, wife is 5'3 and our 3 sons all under 5' for now and 2 of them are lefties. Every person in our family could handle and comfortably fire an adjustable 30-30 lever gun.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The tacticool lever gun would rock from a practical stance for a family like mine. I'm 6'5, wife is 5'3 and our 3 sons all under 5' for now and 2 of them are lefties. Every person in our family could handle and comfortably fire an adjustable 30-30 lever gun.
    every person in your family could handle a model 92 or 94 carbine as it is.

Default "Tactical"

Have one. It does ok but the stock is long for the kids and wife. Cutting it off would make it short for me. They "can" shoot it but not as well as if it had a LOP that fit them.

I once posted a thread "in another place" about lightweight AR carbines and the trend to have every inch covered with rails and every rail hanging at least 10 doo-dads. The original intent of the carbine was a light, handy weapon. We now turn the front end into as much weight as a Garand with lights, lasers, spare lights, backup sights, battery holders for the Christmas lights, bayonets and on and on. Boy did I get flamed for that thread.

I'm much happier here.

Pretty simplestic view you have there. Do you base it just on your own view of life? Of what you do or expect to do? I believe Guns are tools and each has a use that is " tactically " beneficial to different scenarios. I do also have that wood stocked tool that I have had for 40 plus years, that I have babied, refinished, and will have till the day I die and goes to my oldest son. But I also have a few tools that are tactically better for events that may or may not happen. I am sure the SWAT or Military would be laughing just as hard at you when you show up to clear a complex with your Winchester M 70 in 30.06. Will your tool do the job?
    maybe, it definitely better than a rock or stick But it is definitely not better than
    A short barrelled tactical tool with the options of lights, lasers, optics, nite vision,etc. If you do not see the need for that kind of tool good for you, but to knock them and laugh at them only shows you have a simplestic view of things.
    Just my opinion Del

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Have one. It does ok but the stock is long for the kids and wife. Cutting it off would make it short for me. They "can" shoot it but not as well as if it had a LOP that fit them.
    Wow if you could only get a "Tactical" 6 postion stock for it.
    It would fit all the family Del

Quote Originally Posted by fnsakdel View Post
    Pretty simplestic view you have there. Do you base it just on your own view of life? Of what you do or expect to do? I believe Guns are tools and each has a use that is " tactically " beneficial to different scenarios. I do also have that wood stocked tool that I have had for 40 plus years, that I have babied, refinished, and will have till the day I die and goes to my oldest son. But I also have a few tools that are tactically better for events that may or may not happen. I am sure the SWAT or Military would be laughing just as hard at you when you show up to clear a complex with your Winchester M 70 in 30.06. Will your tool do the job?
    maybe, it definitely better than a rock or stick But it is definitely not better than
    A short barrelled tactical tool with the options of lights, lasers, optics, nite vision,etc. If you do not see the need for that kind of tool good for you, but to knock them and laugh at them only shows you have a simplestic view of things.
    Just my opinion Del

Is the average guy clearing a complex?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    When I sit aside a campfire and clean an old blued rifle from the 60's, it reminds me of a time of traditions, of a time gone to the wayside. Every little scratch, every little dent, I remembered the hunts they came from.

When I sat for 3 yrs and 2 months (combined time) of my life in Iraq cleaning cleaning AK-47's, M-4's, 240's, S.A.W's, the stench of CLP all over my hands, trying to make sense of those around me who lost their lives, I never wanted to touch a rifle like that again.
    Odd how that seems to work. My Dad and uncles who were all in hellish combat, all were Marines in WWII and/or Korea all had no use for an M1 when they came home. They all went back to the lever rifles and revolvers of their youth for many years, I think as you say it was about the fond memories that came with those guns.

By the time Dad died in 2009 he had hundreds of guns and he had bought almost nothing but WWII weapons for almost 30 years. The still loved old Winchesters and Colts hardly ever getting out of the gun room for years. He had gone all in on things he wanted nothing to do with when I was a kid. I donít know why exactly. I think maybe as he aged the horrible memories faded some and the guns were bringing back fond memories of his buddies that never came home. I have seen this elevation in more than just my Dad, it seems to be common among older veterans.

As for the ďtacticalĒ gun nuts I just say hey they are gun nuts, gun nuts unite! Tactical isnít at all my cup of coffee. I do find it amusing the way they load down a little 223 with 14 pounds of junk they will never need and I wouldnít want in my way if the zombies ever did come. But hey Iím not offended or annoyed by them, Iím a gun nut and they re gun nuts so there is a lot of common ground. I also always found it amusing when somebody showed up for an Arizona desert deer hunt with a pristine high dollar bolt rifle knowing they will be going home ether with a trashed rifle and maybe a deer or a lightly dented rifle and never seeing a deer at all. More power to them if thatís what turns their crank, just remember they are still gun guys with a lot in common with all other gun guys.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

"Is the average guy clearing a complex? "

2 weeks with no electricity and no sign its coming back on soon?
    20 to 25% unempolyment with no signs of improvement soon?
    16 trillion plus in debt?
    Super inflation?
    A goverment willing to take or freedoms ever chance they get?
    over 50% of the poeple taking from the rest that do work?
    O-Yea it will never happen here?

Yep I can see it as a possabilty or protecting one
    Del

Attachment 66192
    Just my opinion Del
    Why would I show up to help out the military or SWAT team to "clear a complex"? That is my whole point. If I WAS one of those guys I would probably already have a real tactical firearm. I guess my view is simplistic.

"Is the average guy clearing a complex? "

2 weeks with no electricity and no sign its coming back on soon?
    20 to 25% unempolyment with no signs of improvement soon?
    16 trillion plus in debt?
    Super inflation?
    A goverment willing to take or freedoms ever chance they get?
    over 50% of the poeple taking from the rest that do work?
    O-Yea it will never happen here?

Yep I can see it as a possabilty or protecting one
    Del

I like watching doomsday preppers, too.

Some folks seem to think the The Walking Dead is a documentary, apparently.
    ďLife has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.Ē ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Attachment 66192
    Why would I show up to help out the military or SWAT team to "clear a complex"? That is my whole point. If I WAS one of those guys I would probably already have a real tactical firearm. I guess my view is simplistic.
    I see you dont see my point but Thanks for agreeing with me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Some folks seem to think the The Walking Dead is a documentary, apparently.
    You must be talking about the CDC, FEMA and Homeland Security Department Who all have issued press releases about Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse

I see you dont see my point but Thanks for agreeing with me.
    Can you see my point? That is a 10/22 in the picture. What if I showed up to "clear a complex with a "tactical" 10/22? Would they greet me more warmly or laugh harder than if I showed up (still not sure why I would) with a well scoped and accurate, hard-hitting 30.06?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast