Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting ram horn.....

Default Interesting ram horn.....

I was looking back through the 2009 hunting pics and came across this pic. Check out that distinct line/indention that runs through the whole length of this ram's horn. I can't remember ever seeing that before. Have any of you? Does anybody know what causes this? Although it's out of the norm, I sure do like it. Really gives an added, wonderfully unique, character to it.......at least I think so anyway.

Great ram...!!!

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wow missed that pic!What a strange lookin ram.Pretty neat,wonder what does cause that?First time I've ever seen a horn like that.

Hey wykee5.....if you read this can you tell us a bit more about that ram and your hunt? It looks like the other horn was broomed. Did that horn have the same line running around it's length? How old was he?

Oh and how old was your Dad when he killed him? He looks in great shape...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hey wykee5.....if you read this can you tell us a bit more about that ram and your hunt? It looks like the other horn was broomed. Did that horn have the same line running around it's length? How old was he?

Now I remember this pic,just never seen the one with the crazy horn!!Nothing beats a hunt with your ol'man!Waiting the day still to get a double ram pic.I think a few had a problem with letting a bear know he wasn't welcom on his hunt report,maybe I am wrong though but I would have done the same(sure he would have ended up being skinned around my crew!!) Any cool ram and a stunning pic!That ram sure has some mass to him.Sheep season can't come soon enough!!

Jed aka wykee5 no longer lives in state. Moved to SD I believe. Ill send him an email and see if he can update the story some. I actually met his dad on a flight back to Mn after this hunt in the Brooks and yes the man was in phenomenal shape!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Default Sheep elders

I had the privelage of talking with a 70 yr old man this week who took a ram this year. My first impression was to ask him what his secret to youth was. After further conversation it turns out he hunted sheep. He hired a guide in 2012 but tells of climbing rocks and enduring weather that challenge the youth.

I love when old rams kill old rams?

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post

I love when old rams kill old rams?
    Im with you I love seein those old buggers get after it... I am always impressed on how many are out there getting it dont... I guided a guy with one lung a few years back and he got er done....slow and steady wins the race

that sheep with the lateral line sure is cool I remember seeing that before and always wondered bout that one...

I was looking back through the 2009 hunting pics and came across this pic. Check out that distinct line/indention that runs through the whole length of this ram's horn. I can't remember ever seeing that before. Have any of you? Does anybody know what causes this? Although it's out of the norm, I sure do like it. Really gives an added, wonderfully unique, character to it.......at least I think so anyway.

Great ram...!!!

It's a "lateral line." His momma was clearly a ewe, but his poppa was probably a high country rainbow trout..............

There is another pic from the other side further down in the thread after the uniqueness of the horn got mentioned, but here it is again.

I think my dad was just short of 62 when we did that hunt. He was worried about being in good enough shape, but there were times when I was wondering if I was waiting for him or if he was waiting for me. He didn't slouch on carrying gear either.

I don't remember catching any flack for not shooting that bear, and I would have gladly shot one up there, but I had a Seward brown bear tag that year, and although I am not a good judge on bear size, everything in me said this was a small, immature bear. I am pretty certain I had him dead to rights though My dad, being a non-resident, didn't purchase a bear tag, because if we had seena big one, I would have taken it, and any extra weight beyond that, and we would have needed an extra flight to get stuff out.

It was a great hunt, and although South Dakota is definitely not Alaska, we moved back to the midwest so the kids could see their grandparents on a regular basis, and the grandparents could see them. As much as I love the adventure that Alaska hunts have to offer, being closer to family is worth the trade-off. I can always come back to AK for hunts, plus having piles of waterfowl, roosters, antelope, and deer that can be chased as easily as heading out for a morning or evening hunt is not too bad either.

Did the bios ever mention what may of caused that lateral line. Great hunt and pics

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    There is another pic from the other side further down in the thread after the uniqueness of the horn got mentioned, but here it is again.
    Wow......did he break that think off or what...???!!! Very cool horns. Thanks wykee5 for jumping back in here with the added pics.....

ok, that first bear pic thru the scope is the coolest bear pic i've ever seen...i've tried to video thru a scope before but thats tough...still photo is awesome though..forget the sheep pics we've seen hundreds of those but that bear pic....thats unique!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    forget the sheep pics we've seen hundreds of those.....
    What...???!!! Bite your tongue....!!!........lol. Don't tell me you've seen hundreds of ram pics showing that lateral line?

But that bear in the scope pic, cross hairs and all, really is pretty darn cool for sure.......

its a lateral line....cool sure...but its a line...
    Master guide 212

Jake, you should ask for permission to use that image on your web site.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    its a lateral line....cool sure...but its a line...
    Wondering if you've seen one before in person Jake...??? Have you ever heard what causes this?

wykee5
    great picks but I want to know a bit about your dad's lifestyle. Has he been a kid at heart throughout his life? A physical laborer, athlete, healthy habits, etc?

nope never seen it, sure is cool though. both sides so its not scar tissue or damage, someting genetic i guess. some people are born that like broccilli too....weird things out there.
    Master guide 212

I was watching a Boone & Crockett Country show last night and guess what - a nice big horn was shown sporting the lateral line. No mention of where the sheep was taken, but the line was evident, though closer to the top edge of the horn than the dalls shown, so far. Whatever the cause, its not something that only shows up on sheep here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast