Thread: Weasel on the bait pile

Default Weasel on the bait pile

Walked out to my bait pile for fox and coyotes today to find a weasel gorging himself on some caribou scraps. What's the best way to go about catching him? I have lots of 110's to work with. Would he even be interested in going into a weasel box since he has all the food he needs right there in front of him? If so, what should I use for bait that he'd like better than caribou? Thanks guys, never trapped a weasel before!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    Walked out to my bait pile for fox and coyotes today to find a weasel gorging himself on some caribou scraps. What's the best way to go about catching him? I have lots of 110's to work with. Would he even be interested in going into a weasel box since he has all the food he needs right there in front of him? If so, what should I use for bait that he'd like better than caribou? Thanks guys, never trapped a weasel before!
    Hey AK A's Fan. Take a shoe box, punch a one inch hole in the front of it. Place a #1 leghold trap at the base of the hole and put some bait in the back of the shoebox. Take a look at Teacherman's thread. I think he has some pictures on there with some weasel boxes on it.http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...25#post1212825

Shoot me a PM, I live right by Colony. I'll give you a weasel box and a trap to use...

Thank you guys, I actually have a few boxes ready to go. I was more curious as to whether or not I should approach it with a box, since he has plenty of meat right in front of him to chow down on. But it sounds like that might be the way to go at it. My concern would just be that he wouldn't bother investigating the box since he's been perfectly happy with the gut pile. What should I toss in the back of the box for bait? More caribou? And funny that you bring up that link, Bushwack Jack, because Teacherman is my AP Environmental teacher at school, haha. I'll be sure to read through it!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Thank you guys, I actually have a few boxes ready to go. I was more curious as to whether or not I should approach it with a box, since he has plenty of meat right in front of him to chow down on. But it sounds like that might be the way to go at it. My concern would just be that he wouldn't bother investigating the box since he's been perfectly happy with the gut pile. What should I toss in the back of the box for bait? More caribou? And funny that you bring up that link, Bushwack Jack, because Teacherman is my AP Environmental teacher at school, haha. I'll be sure to read through it!
    I'll confess I'm not much of a trapper AKA's Fan. Why don't you ask your teacher? He'll point you in the right direction.

Set the box sooner or later he will check it out. Look around and see if you can tell where he is sleeping it off in a nearby brush pile or someplace then set the box near there so he see's and smells it prior to going to the big bait
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Yeah, I'll definitely mention it to him tomorrow. I was just trying to get a few different ideas to catch the little guy. But it sounds like the box is the way to go, so I'll go toss one out there one day this week! And thanks Otterman, I'll do that.
    Ryan from Wasilla

the ermine wont wesatate to investagate the box, if nothing but for kicks and giggles
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Supporting Member

Try a fresh bait in your box (like a piece of fresh muskrat or liver). The bloodier the better. Should get his attention. Good luck!

i have been haveing the same problems with the weasles im useing fish for most of my bait and they seem to love it but they are very sneaky . i have set out rat traps with a peice of bait heiring, one on the ground next to a marten set not in a box and one tied to a downed tree just the other side of my trail and somehow they keep robbing the one on the ground so i just made a box and put it out this morning in place of the one on the ground. i used a couple heiring and a bunch of grouse feathers wraped in wire and tied to the back of the box. my question is what is the purpose of the box? does it create more trigger set offs or is it to keep the birds from your bait or what ever it may be.

Supporting Member

IMO, the box serves several functions. First, it makes your sets weasel-specific so you avoid incidentals (gray jays, magpies, etc.). It also serves to make your sets "dog-proof" if you are trapping around an area that may have domestic dogs running loose. The other thing the boxes do are to keep your sets active despite severe weather(deep snow, freezing rain, etc.)

Hopefully this will get him! Enhanced the tiny trigger by adding a piece of cardboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Ryan from Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    i have been haveing the same problems with the weasles im useing fish for most of my bait and they seem to love it but they are very sneaky . i have set out rat traps with a peice of bait heiring, one on the ground next to a marten set not in a box and one tied to a downed tree just the other side of my trail and somehow they keep robbing the one on the ground so i just made a box and put it out this morning in place of the one on the ground. i used a couple heiring and a bunch of grouse feathers wraped in wire and tied to the back of the box. my question is what is the purpose of the box? does it create more trigger set offs or is it to keep the birds from your bait or what ever it may be.
    Sounds like you are having shrews rob your bait. elevate the trap onto a leaning pole even only a foot off the ground.

i dont see any shrew tracks leading to it just a very well established weasle trail but now that my bait is tied in the back of the box i dont think they can rob it but i will try a few more a lil ways off the ground as the one thats set off the ground now still has bait maybe the srews arnt leaving any tracks in the harder snow

I,ve never seen a shrew be shy or unwilling to climb for some bait
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    I,ve never seen a shrew be shy or unwilling to climb for some bait
    Doesn't stop all of them but I've had better luck with elevated sets.