Thread: Pike!

Default Pike!

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to do some pike fishing near Anchorage, Eagle River or even Palmer/Wasilla. I grew up in Michigan spearing them and catching them on tip-ups. Any chance someone could point me in the right direction? I've heard mixed reviews about Lower Fire lake, but most guys seem to agree that the pike are not really in there anymore. I've heard Big Lake is good too, but the thing about Big Lake is... it's pretty big. Any tips on where a guy could catch a few would be greatly appreciated. I'm not asking you to give out your favorite lake/spot, just a nudge in the right direction would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Every year some one asks. Thats ok, just do some research, in the forums, from the search bar. Good luck!

You can spear and bow fish pike up here as well in south central. Further north the regs change but down here around Anchorage and the Valley there are no limits, actually fish and game asks not to return any to the water if you catch some as they are invasive to this part of the state.

Biglake has Pike in it as do many of the lakes around the Valley. Getting the bigger ones means going further off the road system though. Never fished it but I hear Prater lake in Houston has decent pike fishing in it. Years ago I use to hike back to Redshirt Lake but I hear that not much of a chance to get much more then Hammer handles out of there now (Which isnt a bad thing! That lake use to be great for other species but now only pike mainly). I'm sure some other people will chime in. I think the AF&G have the lakes listed that are infested with Pike. They are even in the Susitna river now. Almost all the lakes in the Nancy Lake Recreational park have pike in most of them including Nancy lake.

Im sure some others will chime in.

Jibby, check this on the ADF&G Website:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...rthernPike.pdf

Awesome info fellas, thanks a lot for your help. That list of lakes with pike in it is extremely helpful. If you have any hints or tricks of the trade you'd care to share, I'd gladly take those too!

We have been hitting Nancy this year it's got easy access off the parks most of the fish I've caught are in the 20-24-26 but a guy with a camera said he seen a biggn or two good luck fish on!!!!!

Not to hijack this, but while we're on the subject of Pike, I've been thinking about trying to pull a few of them out of the ice this winter. I caught one so far out of Nancy in the summer. I'd like to pull a few more out. How does everyone get out on the ice on the bigger lakes? Can you take a vehicle out on Nancy, or is it ATV/snowmachine only? I was thinking dropping some herring might be the way to go in the winter.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Speaking of herring, is anyone using live bait, or is that not legit in this state? I know I've read in the regs that it's not legal on certain lakes, but is it illegal on ALL lakes? In MI we would hook up live shiners on our tip-ups and that worked pretty well.
    Also, I read that there are pike in Campbell lake, can anyone confirm that? That's a lot closer to home than the valley is and I'm fine with catching hammer handles - those eat just as good!

Ah, nevermind, I just found that reg. No live bait in fresh water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
    Speaking of herring, is anyone using live bait, or is that not legit in this state? I know I've read in the regs that it's not legal on certain lakes, but is it illegal on ALL lakes? In MI we would hook up live shiners on our tip-ups and that worked pretty well.
    Also, I read that there are pike in Campbell lake, can anyone confirm that? That's a lot closer to home than the valley is and I'm fine with catching hammer handles - those eat just as good!
    No live bait in fresh waters.

Most of my pike success was with swimshad type jigs and cut or whole herring in relatively shallow waters adjacent to deep water. It isn`t a bad thing to fish in slow flowing and shallow waters. I`ve done some of my best catching from holes where we actually pulled weeds on the auger. Set a few tip-ups and jig something shiny.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff