Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a good starter gun.

Default Thoughts on a good starter gun.

Ok, so I have a 10 year old that is itching to shoot her first caribou next year. I have a couple of guns that would work for her but I may look into getting something that fits her better in terms of size and caliber.

Right now I have available a .300 winmag (too big) and a .280 (nice flat shooter but physically to large) and a .25-06 (may be a bit light bullet wise)

I'm really looking for something that will be compact yet have enough punch to do the job. I started hunting years ago with a .30-30 on whitetails and it did the job, but I was a 140 lb farm boy and she is a 75 lbs tomboy.

Any good suggestions? Thanks

Something like a Howa Youth Rifle in .308, 6.5 pounds w/ scope and rings, 20 inch barrel with Hogue youth stock that can be switched to a Hogue adult stock as she matures

http://www.remington.com/en/products...synthetic.aspx

7mm-08, light recoil, will handle caribou and moose with good shot placement.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Look at a Rem. 700 .243. I have one for my 13 year old and he had knocked down 3 caribou over the past 3 years and is a sweet set up. Make sure you spend the bucks and buy a good scope and he will be set. I am stepping up my son up to a .308 this year so he has the ability to take moose next year.

Just my 2 cents

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Drop Camps and Float hunts
    Unit 23
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ruger Compact in 260, 7-08, or 308...anyone of those is enough gun.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Start with a .243 and then see how they like the .308. Both are fine for caribou and moose.

I've got my son shooting a .308Win with the Remington reduced recoil ammunition. Works well and he'll likely step up to full power this summer.

Make sure stock fit is good- too long of a LOP is a bad deal recoil wise.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Can't go wrong with a 6.5x55.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Don't forget the 270......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'll second the Howa rifle/scope combo with Hogue stocks. I think it's about $600. It comes with the youth stock installed and also includes a bigger stock as she/he grows. My wife and sons shoot this rifle in 7mm-08 and it has no problem taking caribou. Howa makes the entry level Vanguard rifles for Weatherby.

We bought ours at Mountain View Sports.

Tikka or Ruger M77 in 7mm-08

.270 with the Winchester XP3 150 grn ammo will be shootable for a younger smaller person, yet enough umph to take a moose or black bear. If that is too much I would look at the .243. Definitely look for something with a youth stock or one you can cut down or adjust. Scope with a lot of eye relief like the Leupold VXII will help a lot as well. Practice with light loads, hunt with the hotter loads, she won't feel the recoil difference with all the adrenaline.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Take a look at the Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08, it is a great, low cost youth rifle. Very tame in recoil, light weight, accurate and plenty of power for medium to medium large game. Topped with a redfield 3-9x40 the rifle cost me under 500.

It has a great trigger, the factory recoil pad is nice for a low cost starter youth rifle and it is sized for smaller shooters. My son has taken a black bear, hog, whitetailed deer, and about a thousand balloons with his rifle with no reliability issues. The rifle is available in 243, 7mm-08 and 308. When I first got my son his rifle he was a skinny little 12 year old at around 105 pounds, at that size he handled the 7mm-08 in this package like a 22 rimfire.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...Action/XS7.asp

IMO- it is a great starter rifle for kids and smaller shooters.

all the 243s 270s 7mms...perhaps maybe another 25-06 that the kiddo can handle..? good round. but the remmy 700 243 sure does sound nice..anytime i see that i have to +1

Your 25-06 will work great if you get it to fit her.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Ok, so I have a 10 year old that is itching to shoot her first caribou next year. I have a couple of guns that would work for her but I may look into getting something that fits her better in terms of size and caliber.

Right now I have available a .300 winmag (too big) and a .280 (nice flat shooter but physically to large) and a .25-06 (may be a bit light bullet wise)

I'm really looking for something that will be compact yet have enough punch to do the job. I started hunting years ago with a .30-30 on whitetails and it did the job, but I was a 140 lb farm boy and she is a 75 lbs tomboy.

Any good suggestions? Thanks

For the amount of money you could have tied up in a new rifle, just use the 25-06 It is just a little bit harder hitting than a .243.

Use your .25-06, and have a professional gun smith "fit" the stock to her, so she doesnt have to "strech" to make it fit. You can always have the stock "lenghthend" (with more but padds/spacers) as she (and her siblings???? the wife??? anyone else?) need to use the gun.

Ammo isnt too bad, 17 bucks a box for the 90 grain stuff. up to 40 for premium ammo:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=15710

Here is the COOL part of your 25-06. If you spend 100 bucks on the stock mod (or less if you google it or try the shooting forum) and 100 bucks on ammo, you and her can go out and shoot birds and rabbits, squirrels, cyotes, or WHAT EVER for practice... and you will be money ahead from buying a new gun.

I have taken MANY big bodied mule deer with the 25-06. It is all dad and grandpa shoot at deer sized game! Save yourself some money, and stick with what you have.

Another idea, though expensive, is to buy her a "bigger" caliber rifle... 300 win mag, 30-06 and reload DOWN the rounds for practice? It would just suck to have her get a flinch (took me a long time to get rid of mine, i got a used .270 for my first rifle. Shot it for 3 years.... then i shot my dads 300 win mag. The win-mag kicked less. The head spacing on the .270 was WAY OFF and the stock was too long.)

Default Thoughts on a good starter gun.

Savage 110 youth in 7-08 is worth looking at. Only negative is the bolt is a little stiff when you cam it over. My 75lb son handles the recoil find with 130 grain bullets. I picked one up that is "blued" with a synthetic stock and a Nikon scope for $500 brand new. I plan to get it dura-coated by a buddy in a pattern that my son chooses.

You've already gotten many good suggestions from the membership and you're probably good to go, but it's winter so....

First, I'd scrounge the money and buy a center-fire rifle that belongs to her (as opposed to restocking one of your rifles)...and the suggestion about mounting a good scope is right on (you want good eye relief and easy target acquisition).

I started my son and daughter with a pellet rifle and then .22 (like I'm sure you have done), and then (believe it or not) their first centerfire was a 30-06. It worked for them, but I don't recommend you do that unless you are a handloader (you didn't say if you are or are not), and you spend considerable time at the range helping your daughter learn to be comfortable with her rifle. I am a handloader, which means that I could choose from a bazillion bullet weights in 30 caliber and manipulate charge variables (thus reducing recoil), and the time I spent one on one with each of the them loading their ammunition and at the range are good memories for them and me (like I am sure many people on the forum have done). I modified the stocks so that the length of pull was shorter and then adjusted and restocked as they got older. As adults they each still use their .30-06's for big game hunting (and they are good shots), and the rifles hold many good memories for them (and we saved the little stocks for their kids someday...once they get married and have some).

If you don't handload, consider the good recommendations you already have received...I'd vote for the 7-08.

Have fun together...

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. There are some options that I had never thought of that I will definately explore. Bronco, again thanks for the offer. I need to do this the right way, her 3 year old brother will be the next to follow and I suspect he won't be far behind in wanting to shoot. Maybe next summer...hey, he'll be 4 by then!

I like the Remington Model 7. In 7-08 or 243. Have used this gun in both calibers on 'bou with a small framed ex-girlfriend and my 7yo son. Both worked and fit them great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast