Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks high speed internet?

Default Fairbanks high speed internet?

Does it really exist and is it reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes View Post
    Sorta and not really.

You will be a premium and get a portion of what you get in Texas.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes View Post
    No.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

and its not limited to fairbanks... its a state wide issue
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It doesn't exist or it's not reliable? How unreliable is it if that's the case?

It exists to the tune of about 150 a month and it is about 1/3 slower than advertised.

The local providers will sell you "High Speed" internet. But it will cost you a lot more than what similar service would in the lower 48. Also, there are plenty of areas in FAI that don't have cable or DSL accessible. If it doesn't pan out to run the service to the area, you get to use wireless or satellite.

One provider

Other Provider

In FAI its all about what is offered where you live. Cable isn't in the older neighborhoods with a low population density and the Cable Internet Provider has "Usage Caps" and overage fees. DSL is slow and their highest speeds aren't really available because their service loops aren't setup to handle them.

The reality is they got a monopoly on the market and you get what you get...

AKArcher

Really,...are you guys exaggerating a bit ?? No Hi Speed Internet in Fbks,...?? or just referring to extra cost at bill-time ?

a few years back somebody poured $$$$$'s overboard the cable laying boat, between Homer and Kodiak
    They called it Fiber Optic something,...
    and we have some pretty bad zippin' going on down here now,....
    are you guys that far behind, or just complaining, a little ??

I was just up in Delta Junction a month back and it seemed we could "stream away," at will, tho, it was a bit "hitchy"
    and take a look at where Delta is,.....middle of,.....(????where) ,....somewhere, "Bushy and South" of Fbks

Now, definitely, it's not Seattle speed, probably anywhere, ....but statewide,...it's not that bad,...were catching up to the South.

I'm sittin' in a coffee shop in the Emerald City right now,...and it's only a little bit,... shockingly quicker (sly grin)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Ok. Sounds like here but slower. My brother in law can't get cable out at his place and he's not that much further from the city than we are. Price isn't such a big deal as long as it's not $500+ a month or so. Luckily my wife has found someone up there that does the same thing she does for a living so we'll see how it's been working there.
    Someone in another thread mentioned a refinery in North Pole. Anyone know the name of it?

Foot hills refinery. It might be up for sale. It usually trades ownership every few years.

As for the high speed Internet it depends on what you are doing. If on line gaming or video chat then it will suck. Most other stuff is ok. You always have to option of star band or hugesnet. Man I am funny.

Thanks. We need it mostly for audio files of depositions and court cases. I'll check out the refinery. Got to be a job or two there for a former operator.

So,...."yet another Texan,....AND a Lawyer,..??" Uh, Oh,.... now,.... you may have just went over the edge,...(grin)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Flint Hills is the name of the refinery.

AKArcher

Even in Anchorage there are places where you can't get a good internet speed. I live less than a mile from a CO and can only get 1mb one way some of the time. I live on a street where none of the people wanted cable when GCI first started laying cable(over the air TV was fine, we didn't know what we would be missing in the future). Now the trees have grown up and block the sat signals and GCI refuses to lay any more cable. Now the over the air TV sports coverage SUCKS!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I lived in the banks 7 years and have been in Palmer for 2. I must be missing something because I've had great Internet the entire time I have lived in this state. As long as you can get GCI you can get Internet that works great. Streaming movies, games, audio, fast downloads, you name it.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

It really depends where you are. I rely on high-speed internet because that's what I do for a living (develop internet security technologies, write internet technology standards, etc.). I live in Two Rivers, pretty far out, and you'd expect that there'd be a problem but I have 3mb (down) DSL. This would be laughable in Europe or some Asian countries but it's pretty respectable in the US. When I've had occasional packet loss problems between me and the first-hop router and I've called for technical support they told me that I should not be getting more than 1mb down, but I do. I pay $99/month for the 3mb down and usually get what I pay for.

There are nearby neighbors who are too far from the DSLAM to get DSL and who've had to rely on wireless broadband. It's here, but it's not great. A third option is satellite internet but a friend in Salcha says that every time it snows he loses connectivity (he's just about the only person I know hoping for snowless winters). I would avoid satellite unless no other options are available, because it's expensive, because the vendors do their best to lock you into their services, and because very high latency makes certain services unusable.

The main thing is that availability is pretty spotty. You can get cable internet in some places but not others, DSL in some places but not others, wireless broadband in some places but not others, etc. Talk to the neighbors. But if someone tells you that broadband isn't available in Fairbanks, write them off as not knowing what they're talking about.

I work from home doing remote support for medical information systems. I get a few outages a year due to high winds. In general my network speed is plenty for all I do though it is at a premium over what I would pay in the lower 48.

Only negative was when GCI inexplicably nailed me with $300 in overages. Nothing changed on our end and I blew my top when they couldn't produce a daily usage chart to justify the charge. In 3 years I never broke over 40 gigs per month (pay for over 2x that) and they decided I did 3x that! (During hunting season no less, yeah right). We do stream a movie once or twice a month but we are not steady users of streaming media nor do we do a lot of large file downloading. One positive of GCI is the ability to track daily usage on their site. It is inexplicable to me that they apparently don't keep any metrics from past months to justify billing overage charges.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    So,...."yet another Texan,....AND a Lawyer,..??" Uh, Oh,.... now,.... you may have just went over the edge,...(grin)
    I'm not a lawyer nor can anything I post be considered legal advice and/or establish an attorney client relationship.
    Seriously though, my wife does some work in the legal bid'ness but she's not a lawyer either.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    As long as you can get GCI you can get Internet that works great.
    Not so simple, unfortunately. I can get GCI phone service, but they don't offer internet where I am. There is only one ISP in this area, and available bandwidth is not so great.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    As long as you can get GCI you can get Internet that works great. Streaming movies, games, audio, fast downloads, you name it.
    No. To get DSL you need to be within a few kilometers of a DSLAM. To get packet over cable, you need additional infrastructure on top of basic television cable, and not all communities/cable runs have it. You may live in an area that has conventional GCI telecomm (copper) but is too far from a DSLAM and has no cable at all. You really have to ask the people who already live there, or call service providers directly (but they often can't help you unless you've got the phone number for the house you'd like service to, which you may not if you're house-hunting).

I got lucky being close enough but my immediate neighbors are just a hair too far for DSL. So, they got broadband wireless, and put a small dish way the heck up a spruce tree. Unfortunately because the dish was small every time it snowed (hasn't been doing that much lately ... ) their service went out, and my all time favorite tech support call was when the tech support guy told them to smack the tree with a sledgehammer a couple of times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast